U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times

Advertisements

Ya forgot to mention the hot summers. Did I mention the summers are really hot? Ya, I used to live there and didn't enjoy the summers at all. Also, there is a lot of housing that is below the river levels and only protected by old levees that aren't as strong as the New Orleans ones were. Gotta know about the good as well as the bad.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Though I am a guy, I would like to chime in here for a moment (thank God they disabled the negative reps!).

For those who consider the California coastal areas too expensive and Portland too dark and wet, let me offer up the idea of Sacramento or one of the surrounding small cities. We have a lot of sunshine, only six months with intermittent rain, and lots of scenery in the surrounding areas. The cost of living is fairly moderate, for California, with many apartments in nice complexes for under $1,000 per month, and modest sized homes and condo's in the $250-$400K cost range. I know it isn't "cheap", but it is for California.

Just a thought, I felt some of you may want to at least consider the possibility. Here are some neat surrounding towns, and a little insight for Sacramento:

Old Sacramento - Shopping. Dining. Entertainment.
Downtown Sacramento Partnership
http://midtowngrid.com/images/maps/EatGridSummer2007_proof.pdf (broken link)
Sacramento Art Walk, Second Saturday - This month's Special Events, Photos of the Art Walk and List of Sacramento Galleries

Placerville, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Auburn, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
I never would've thought that any area in Calif. was affordable. This is something to look at, thanks.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:23 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,118,694 times
Thumbs up Concur

with the previous poster. Sacramento is one of the best places I ever lived.Five hot months in the summer but you adjust;and the cultural and recreational opportunities are fabulous. I just read that the median home price is down to $258K. You might be able to pick up a forelosure. Avoid driving on 80, avoid Roseville.Check it out!!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:27 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
That is so surprising. I also would not have thought that there were any places in California that were affordable.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-09-2008, 03:45 PM

I just clicked on the links. Would you explain why Roseville is not a good place? Here in NY , we do not hear anything about most places in California. It has such a pretty name.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-09-2008, 03:49 PM

You must spread some rep - yada, yada. Sorry. Thanks for that great post on Portland for older single women!---

You got that , too, tesaje ? I even got that when I tried for you , also .

Old 03-09-2008, 03:52 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That is so surprising. I also would not have thought that there were any places in California that were affordable.
I won't comment on the housing prices cited as I haven't really looked, but I would be careful about the locations. Some are decidedly not nice or safe in Sacto. Some people may get used to the heat but I never did and I was young when I lived there. Plus it is warmer now than it was then - global warming and all that. Property taxes for new buyers would be high - long time owners had their's kept low but new buyers will pay the high rate. State income taxes are also high. If the house prices have fallen that much, then there are a lot of people there who really lost their shirts because just a couple of years ago prices were considerably higher.

Air quality is usually not great and the mountains aren't visible thru the brown haze. In the fall, they get north winds that scour out the valley but the summer air quality is pretty bad. What they say about Sacto is it's an hour or two from everywhere you would want to be. That would be the mountains which are gorgeous, and San Francisco and the ocean. Houses usually don't have basements which I find annoying. And as I mentioned earlier, a lot of developments are below the river levels and are at risk of severe flooding if the levees fail. You would save on heating bills but air conditioning bills are high. CA was one of the foolish states that deregulated the utilities - remember the brown-outs and high bills in the news not long ago?

To some extent, Sacto has become a commuter bedroom community to the Bay area because of the lack of housing there and astronomical prices. My retirement $$ would not go as far in Sacto as it will where I am now in a high cost area, even if I wanted to go back. It is a relative thing. The place I lived in CA that I liked best was Redwood City in the Bay area. But I couldn't afford it now. Sacto was just a place to live and work while going to college.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks, tesaje. I would love to live in San Francisco, but the prices would have to literally PLUNGE for me to be able to afford anything half-way decent (and a teeny pace at that).

Old 03-09-2008, 05:31 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,221 times
Default found my people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.
Wisteria
Hey Everyone,
So glad I found this thread, as I'm in a similar situation. Wisteria, I've met you on the TrC, NM thread, and now that I know more about you, I'll follow your posts, cuz we are very similar. I also have to tell you, now, that Truth or Consequences is definitely NOT for you.
For me,
1. warm weather: main consideration, so no matter how nice other places are, I'd never consider a place that gets 'cold'.
2. Not conservative: I'm just too much of a 'free spirit' and 'out of the box' thinker, and feel extremely alone in 'traditional' cultures.

I'll give a new perspective here: I left Tucson in 2005 in a very unexpected way. I had a major crisis due to many factors living in Arizona, (yes you heard me right) that I won't go into, but I knew I had to get out of that state. Long story short, I put my stuff in storage, bought a used RV, and took my 3 cats on the road. I didn't know where to go, I just knew where I DIDN'T WANT TO BE.
My gosh, it's almost 3 years I've been living in my RV, and love it, although I'm still looking for a place to settle. I have income (due to what happened), so I'm fortunate in the sense that employment hasn't had to be an issue, but I'd still like to get back into life again.

I ended up in New Mexico by accident, but buying an annual state park permit led me to travel throughout the state, probably seeing more of it than most residents. It's a beautiful state, and I'm leaning toward Las Cruces--maybe Silver City. Sometimes I move week to week, (taking my kitties and my sattelite TV) and the gas could be considered rent, I guess, but I've been in TrC since October (see below).

My original intention was Utah, and I finally spent 2 or 3 months travelling through the southern part. Absolutely beautiful State!! I really liked MOAB, and am still considering it as a future home. I've been following Utah threads, and see that MOAB is one of the more 'independent' cities, meaning the Mormon conservativism doesn't dominate it as much as other areas. (I got nothing against Mormons, it's the conservatism). Has anyone else considered MOAB?

I, too, have considered Mexico for a long time now. I drove down from Tucson to San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico, and found it was predominantly American. It was beautiful, on the coast, (...now why didn't I go? can't remember). Since I've been in my RV, I guess I just wouldn't want to go alone, cuz I know how vulnerable I've felt here in the US, in terms of needing repairs. I would definitely reccommend the RV thing, but what a learning curve!

Last year, I decided to settle along the Colorado river around Bullhead City/Laughlin (grew up camping there). I found a cheap mobile home to rent in Needles (CA side--didn't want to be in AZ), moved my stuff out of storage in Tucson with a Uhaul, but realized in a very short time, it was NOT the place for me. So, I used the time to 'lighten my load', then put my stuff in storage (again) there, and went back on the road.
I still had no plan, although Moab, and NM, kept calling. I opted for NM, visited my camp host friend in Quemado, traveled some more, and eventually wound up in Truth or Consequences for the 2nd time, simply because my Quemado friend planned to spend the winter here. I knew this wouldn't be permanent, but it's so gosh darn cheap (space rent, not using gas), that I've saved alot of money, have internet service, and using the time to regroup. I started looking for volunteer path, as a way to 're-join' society. There's alot of room for me here in NM, (improving Mental health services availiability) and alot of Statewide councils, etc. to participate in. But, Truth or Consequences is NOT ONE OF THEM. This town will die in it's sleep, people. I just read an article in the paper that was so poorly written, and it was obvious the reporter had no idea about the subject.
Anyway, I've survived what I consider to be a 'long, cold winter' (I'm a wuss), and still waiting for the nice warm weather to return. I'll probably leave in May when it gets hot, and am thinking Silver City (progressive little town) for the summer, at least, and may eventually settle in Las Cruces after the summer heat passes.

I still love the idea of Moab, Utah, as well as Mexico. Anyone going?

I love the idea of us all meeting up, forming our own little community (LOL).
Wisteria, have you moved yet?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:28 PM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
My original intention was Utah, and I finally spent 2 or 3 months travelling through the southern part. Absolutely beautiful State!! I really liked MOAB, and am still considering it as a future home.
I adored the red rock country around Moab and seriously thought about it - however, Moab has both Real Summer (temps well above 100F) and Real Winter (temps in the teens and single digits). I could cope with one or the other, but not both. Also, some of the locals tell me that some of the big tourist happenings (like the Jeep Jamboree and others) have a minority of participants who real trouble - somewhat like the big Spring Break locations, people are there to party hard. Also looked at Fruita, Colorado (near Red Rock National Park), which I also liked.

Utah politics - even somewhat isolated from them in Moab - would drive me nuts. Which is odd, because I've enjoyed Salt Lake City every time I've ever been there. Something fascinating about a city that was actually designed from the ground up, with an eye towards water rights and having a full range of employment, from extraction to processing to final production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.