U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,240,768 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm just checking in. I did hear from Anomoly about maybe coming down this way, but haven't heard back since I replied. My daughter will be home for Winter break, so the place will be a bit more crowded (she's bringing her boyfriend, too). I think Anomoly is on her way back to warmer climes! It's been raining a lot here (I hear you ConeyIsBabe!), and it's damp right now.

I had a bit of minor surgery, so I'm still recuperating, and haven't been on C-D much. (nothing serious) But I still check in!

Kind of hard to believe we got stuck at retirement age in a recession (which is probably really a depression, but they won't tell us that until a year later, too!)

I just turned 61 a couple of weeks ago....it is a strange feeling. Inside I'm still young, but on the outside...well, you probably know what I mean! Wish we could wear our inside selves on the outside!

Glad to see everyone still checking in. Eventually this financial crisis will be over (knock on lots of wood), and we'll start playing musical houses again!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,391,767 times
Default Our fearless leader returns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wisteria - nice to hear from you again Happy Birthday!!!
http://bestsmileys.com/birthday2/6.gif (broken link) Boy, you're really getting up there, aren't you

If you speak to or see Anomoly, tell her we miss her and have her check in. I'm still waiting to hear her report on Las Cruces.

Surgery - great time of year to heal (if you aren't doing the "Holiday Frenzy")

It will be interesting to see which states are still solvent in the spring/summer. With no jobs (no income tax), foreclosures (no property tax), many states are in trouble. Thus ultimately means HIGHER TAXES for everyone else. Do you ever wonder if the joke is on those people who played by the rules?

Oh well - have a nice holiday(s) with your daughter and beau and maybe Anomoly too. Send Anomoly here - that's right - Minnesota! I'll bundle her up and send her out to make a snowman so we can send the pic to Coney.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,512,788 times
Happy Birthday, wisteria.
You are just a year younger than I (I don't know why I thought you were much younger).
Right now , I am looking out of my window and it is sleeting and the wind is howling. Ohhhh, but I wish I were in a warm place.
Where oh where is that Utopia with our cozy cottages and our garden groves?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-19-2008, 05:55 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,951,557 times
Today it was 80 and sunny. Lots of people down here. It is typical for mild climates to attract many people. Ask me how I like it when there is a hurricane headed my way! LOL I wish I could stay from November thru March in a mild climate like south Florida and experience the other three seasons in a cooler climate.

Happy Birthday Wisteria!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:03 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,240,768 times
Awww, thanks everyone!!

I'm off for the weekend, and going to get ready for the holidays.

I will be checking in, and I hope you all have a good holiday week.

Just remember, we are women.....hear us ROAR!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:22 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,412,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi folks,

I'm just checking in. I did hear from Anomoly about maybe coming down this way, but haven't heard back since I replied. My daughter will be home for Winter break, so the place will be a bit more crowded (she's bringing her boyfriend, too). I think Anomoly is on her way back to warmer climes! It's been raining a lot here (I hear you ConeyIsBabe!), and it's damp right now.

I had a bit of minor surgery, so I'm still recuperating, and haven't been on C-D much. (nothing serious) But I still check in!

Kind of hard to believe we got stuck at retirement age in a recession (which is probably really a depression, but they won't tell us that until a year later, too!)

I just turned 61 a couple of weeks ago....it is a strange feeling. Inside I'm still young, but on the outside...well, you probably know what I mean! Wish we could wear our inside selves on the outside!

Glad to see everyone still checking in. Eventually this financial crisis will be over (knock on lots of wood), and we'll start playing musical houses again!
Wisteria, Hope you are nearly all healed up now. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
"Wish we could wear our inside selves on the outside!" -- That is the best quip I have heard in a long time. I'm positive that our 55+ years are the age of wisdom!
I have thought of the irony of going into a recession/depression just when we are going to have to depend on our retirement funds, or what is left of them. I'm holding my breath 'til the markets come back around-- soon, I hope!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:01 AM

2,515 posts, read 4,385,288 times
I should probably stop posting until I make it thru the entire thread...but I can't help myself!
I'm up to page 60 and just read your ideas about a water-based business. Since I have never been to California (very sad, I know!)
- I don't know if this would apply, but:
Water Taxi Service!
I have taken water taxis on the intercoastal in Florida; between different tourist spots in Mexico, etc.
I was on a ferry once that was more like a small yaught, & on another water taxi that was co-piloted by a narrator pointing out the sights.
That one was very cool; sort of like limo service - champagne, appetizers, etc.

OK - I will stop posting til I finish the thread! I think I'm interrupting the natural flow you girls have created! Sorry

Old 12-20-2008, 10:47 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,940 times
Talking The ideal situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Today it was 80 and sunny. Lots of people down here. It is typical for mild climates to attract many people. Ask me how I like it when there is a hurricane headed my way! LOL I wish I could stay from November thru March in a mild climate like south Florida and experience the other three seasons in a cooler climate.

Happy Birthday Wisteria!
YES, it would be perfect to spend winters in the semi-tropical climate and summers in the mountains somewhere, but most of us are not in a position to afford maintaining two residences, and renting for 6-months anywhere is very expensive

Then again, we really want to reside in a community that offers good services and the opportunity to meet others to socialize with. So, we'll continue to commiserate with each other and share information until we figure it out

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 12-20-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,951,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
YES, it would be perfect to spend winters in the sime-tropical climate and summers in the mountains somewhere, but most of us are not in a position to afford maintaining two residences and renting for 6-months anywhere is very expensive

Then again, we really want to reside in a community that offers good services and the opportunity to meet others to socialize with. So, we'll continue to commiserate with each other and share information until we figure it out
Yes, you are absolutely right. If you are in a friendly community and find others who share your interests, no matter what the climate, it can be a wonderful place!

Old 12-20-2008, 12:56 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,886,609 times
55 and rather gloomy in Knoxville today, but no one's complaining. After the drought in 2007, rain is welcome. We're almost back to normal on water levels. Knoxville, located on three rivers that were dammed back in the 1930s, never had rationing, but other areas in Tennessee did. The small farms around East Tennessee suffered terribly.
This summer was a lot better. The farmers' markets were wonderful and well attended.
Supposed to see the sun and some cold weather on Monday.

We may not have a white Christmas, but Knoxville gets very excited about Christmas. Check out the slideshow of "Christmas in the City."
Christmas in the City
"Up on the Rooftops" has been part of Christmas for a long time. Businesses put lights in the form of Christmas trees on the roofs of their buildings. Beautiful site driving by. Lots of things going on.
City of Knoxville - Christmas in the City
On the subject of water taxis, Neyland Stadium at University of Tennessee is one of where fans (the Vols Navy) can boat to the games. Enterprising folks offer taxi services to and from boats to the landing at the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement