U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,262 times

Advertisements

Thanks, MN2CO! Nice post!

Quote:
ogb4619

Well, i pm'd Betsy on the Malaysia thingy.
$600K for a house.!!! WOW.
My wife and i have a quarter acre with 4,000sqft 3 bed, 3 toilet, + carport - want to buy for $120,000?
For sale now, Seremban, Malaysia. (Google it)
Also for sale, 1 old 728i BM - $2,000.

We're moving to the beach. A penthouse in one of the big resorts going for around $45K.
We live retired on around $750 per month. OK, so we're big spenders. Why not. At my age, we may as well live like kings on that income.
cheers all
greg

Wow, this is serendipitous. Greg, I'd like to hear more about Malaysia -- although I did look into it at one time, and it seemed like to actually retire there, one had to have a lot of money in the bank and a minimum monthly income -- is that correct? Most of us are single women with one income....that could put a crunch in things. If you retired on $750 a month, how did you do that? When I researched Malaysia, it said there was a required minimum for retirees there from the U.S. (and it was a lot more than $750) -- what is the "real" scoop??

I have a very good friend in Melaka, Malaysia, and she has been asking me to retire over there and live with her family....I don't know. I don't know the area, of course, and have not lived there, so I don't know what it would be like. Although the weather is quite tropical and I notice that it rarely gets below 90 during the days!

Fill us in with more info. Maybe out-of-the-country is a way to go....

I guess I'm feeling house-bound, and caged up in this house I can't sell yet, so I'm feeling itchy about getting out...to almost anyplace at this point!

I don't need a 4,000 sq. foot home -- yikes, that's really big! Fill us in about what the required income levels are to retire there, and if one has to leave once every six months to maintain residency. There are so many different rules in other countries, that it's tricky to know what's what.

Thanks!

And ConeyIsBabe and Betsy63, yes, I think a westcoast meet-up is in order!

Old 12-27-2008, 03:16 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,036,902 times
Individual small houses with gardens, located fairly close to each other, sounds good to me. Maybe not all houses looking the same. I'm looking in the sunnier but cooler (than So. AZ) Mountain West, probably NM or CO, maybe Santa Fe or Ft. Collins areas. No chance of selling my current house right now though.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:49 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Well, I ordered the info on the Shallote, NC gated development - 'Wisteria Place" - yes, that's right. It looks too cute. 89 cottages; 1600 SF-2300 SF (just right); homes with front porch, sprinklers, energy efficient & low maintenance. $300 quarterly HOA provides yard service, nature trails, clubhouse with exercise room, swimming pool, playground (this is not a 55+ community, however, the development refers to retirees a great deal), dog park (yea!!) walking trails. See wisteriaplace dot com. Close to the ocean. Near Myrtle Beach. Hurricanes? hmm

Thanks Nancy!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 PM

15 posts, read 48,742 times
Smile Retire to Malaysia?

Hi Betsy, Wisteria and all
Well, where do we start?
SEE THE FOOTNOTE FOR THE BEST DEAL.

There are two ways of "retiring" to another country -
1. Take "semi-permanent" residency like the "Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) Program.
2. Take extended but repetitive holidays with a social visa.

For the MM2H, see this web site -
Malaysia My Second Home
It's run by expats and is honest, professional, excellent but charges like wounded bulls. I guess they have to because of the way things are set up here.
Short answer - you need $41,000 on fixed deposit here, or $3,000 per month income.

For number 2 -
Upon entry, tourists get 3 month soical visa (no questions asked).
With 3 hour trip to Immigration office, you can mostly get another 3 months.
After that, you need to exit the country.
For 2 years, i drove 3 hours to Thailand or Singapore, U-turned at the border and got another 3+3 visas.
For the next 6 years, i flew to see my kids in Australia every 6 months.
Only after 8 years did i decide to live here and applied for the MM2H with my $41K deposit.
In the meantime, being a widower at only 49, i married a local (Indian Malaysian).
Then we bought a house for $100,000 and renovated and extended for another $30K.

When you consider going overseas to "retire" you need the following -
political stability; currency stability; economic stability; low crime rate; no violence/inter-racial squabbling; low cost of living; semi-western culture; all international facilities like banking.
Can someone tell me anywhere else in the world than Malaysia?

FOOTNOTE -
My wife said we should make this offer -
Come to Malaysia for a short visit.
Stay in one of our spare rooms, air con, ensuite.
$600 per month ALL INCLUSIVE - food, board, transport, touring, etc.

After 1 month, you can then stay longer or move or whatever.

PM me if you want more info.

cheers
greg
Seremban, Malaysia

Old 12-28-2008, 11:49 AM

20 posts, read 54,513 times
Default Getting our second wind...

I am always so pleased to come back to this post - I know it's repetitious, but what a terrific group of women - it is so wonderful to find like-minded people, isn't it? Maybe it's the coming new year, but it sure does seem as if there is a new energy here and some FABULOUS new ideas! The idea of finding a small town that's in a slump and reviving it, Wisteria in Shallotte (looks wonderful to me and that name just has to be some sort of sign!), the Intentional Community geared to seniors concept....yep, we're unstoppable!

Anyway, happy new year to you all and let's not give this up because we ARE going to make it happen!

rmebrt

Old 12-28-2008, 11:52 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,262 times
Thanks, Greg. I thought that was the catch. I won't have $3,000/month to retire on, so that did it for me -- even my friend knew that was a problem. If someone had a dual-income, or the $3,000+, it would work. I know a lot of women who won't have $3,000/month to live on, especially if they have just Social Security. I had also heard that one can't just "retire" to a foreign country - in fact, I can't think of any off-hand that actually allow you to do that -- I think Costa Rica or Panama were doing that, but I also think the rules may have changed now. The only country I can think of off-hand that might allow it is India, and even that I'm not sure of, although I don't think there is an income level.

The problem with single, older, retired women, is often they do not have a large income. Women get paid less than men, anyway, in general, and often have a smaller pension.

Thanks for the info. I think there may be women on this board who would have that kind of retirement income, but I know I won't have it. I guess if I live in another country for awhile, it will be one that I can go to for six-months, learn the language, and then leave.

Oh, well, good try. There always seems to be a catch. Maybe someone will take you up on your kind offer. How about it gals?

Old 12-28-2008, 12:20 PM

20 posts, read 54,513 times
If I were to retire to a foreign country, it would be France...if any of you are game for that, let's go! Maybe a small B&B in the country w/an organic garden and small vineyard?

Old 12-28-2008, 12:22 PM

69 posts, read 176,736 times
Wisteria, what Greg was saying is, you can still live there for around $600-800/month. You don't need to go through the MMSH program to live there. You could go like he did for the first 6-8 years. I am seriously considering a month trip over there to check it out. It might be a fun way to spend 2-3 of the gloomy winter months here in Ashland. The fare from SFO is less than $1K, so if it's $600/month I could swing it. I guess I'm just more brave than I am smart sometimes?! But as my expensive therapist used to tell me: "You don't know until you know." :-) I will be leaving the 'desert' at the end of Jan. so I will check out both Chico and Paradise on my way home, for those interested in my impressions.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:24 PM

69 posts, read 176,736 times
RMEBRT: I lived for 6 months in the countryside of France and I loved it! I don't think the French hate us so much now that Obama is Pres. ('freedom fries' ....give me a break!)

Old 12-28-2008, 12:49 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,978 times
Talking I'm not brave enuf....

I guess I'll stick with the good old USA.

When I lived in s/Florida for over 30 years, it was as a working, single-mom and what gave me the ability to "survive" in an upscale area, was to divide my house in a way that allowed me to "rent out" half of it, with a private entrance and sealed off from my section. There was an additional small cottage in the rear of the property that gave me another tenant.

I always picked stable individuals for tenants, and charged minimal rent, below the market value; therefore they became friends and lived there many years. It worked well for all of us!

If/when I sell my Oregon property and relocate, I'd consider a similar setup because it benefits everyone... me with added income, my tenants who live in a nice area very affordably, everyone has a built-in support system

So, all I need to find is "the place".... warm climate, short jaunt to the coast, walkable downtown, - this is MY mission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement