U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 01:40 PM

20 posts, read 54,518 times

Advertisements

Betsy - A MONTH-long trip anywhere would be heaven. My 401K says I won't have a month off for a good long while! Have a fabulous journey whenever you go and, of course, provide us all the details of what life might be like in Malaysia! For all my travelling, I'm not quite that adventurous in middle age and know I want the familiarity of the USA or Europe. Where did you live in France? Yes, Obama is popular all over Europe - I am so proud of us for this new hopeful beginning which is anticipated not just in our country!

Coney - It's the Golden Girls all over again! (I just wonder why it is most of my friends are Blanche while I'm always Dorothy!)

I guess I'm just chomping at the bit for this to just start already - glad I'm not the only one!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Quote:
Betsy63:
Wisteria, what Greg was saying is, you can still live there for around $600-800/month. You don't need to go through the MMSH program to live there. You could go like he did for the first 6-8 years. I am seriously considering a month trip over there to check it out. It might be a fun way to spend 2-3 of the gloomy winter months here in Ashland. The fare from SFO is less than $1K, so if it's $600/month I could swing it. I guess I'm just more brave than I am smart sometimes?! But as my expensive therapist used to tell me: "You don't know until you know." :-) I will be leaving the 'desert' at the end of Jan. so I will check out both Chico and Paradise on my way home, for those interested in my impressions.
I understand what you're saying, but I want to be able to "settle" and leave traveling for fun, not for necessity to stay in a place. I don't know.

Actually, I do have a free place to stay in Malaysia, and I may do that. I want to get another year in at work for my meager pension, and have Social Security as my backup. I'm not even sure I will like it. I like my friend, but I'm not sure about Malaysia, itself.

If I had my choice, I'd choose Spain -- that was my favorite country I've been in. Plus, I do know some Spanish. I loved the people, the weather, the countryside -- I just felt at home there.

Right now, I am focusing on the U.S. because at least it's possible here. I wanted to go to Canada, since I grew up in a border town, but I don't meet the "point system" now. And, again, if you don't have "x" amount of money, then it's impossible. I admit it, I used a lot of my youth to travel, to move around, to explore, and to have many experiences. I did not stay in one job, in one place, or even one state for that long. However, on the flip side, I'm glad I did more of that while I was young and able to be really mobile and spontaneous, than being older when it can be more difficult. There are pros and cons to everything. Now, if I had only been one of those trust fund babies! Then I'd be set for life!

Coney, it sounds like you're getting ready to return to Florida! It must be quite a change from Florida to Oregon! Seems like you miss Florida.

I just need to sell this house and be free from owning for awhile. I am not sure I like this home ownership thing with all the problems it entails for me -- living in an older home, things break, it's a lot of work to keep up the property, it's expensive. I like the idea of the mobile home on property, though -- I don't particularly care for mobile home parks.

Betsy, if you do go to Malaysia, please report back and attach photos while you're there! At least most people there speak English -- which is good. I'd be interested in hearing your reports. My friend is a Christian there, and her daughter became involved with a Muslim boy -- it was quite tense for awhile, but eventually they broke up. I'm not really clear on the cultural dynamics there, although my friend is Chinese, and lived in Kuala Lumpur, and now lives in the country with more family. I'm thinking about it, but I still have to get this shackle of a house off me first!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,888,724 times
The talk about retirement group living for women reminded me of a series of mysteries I read about a group of older women in a California coastal town who get together to do just that.
The books deal a lot with the dynamics and the reasons for doing it along with the mystery plot. They partly fund their purchase of a house by buying at yard sales and selling on e-bay. The author is Shirley Rouseau Murphy and she lives in Carmel, CA.
The plan starts in Cat Laughing Last
Book detail | Mystery Writers of America
The books do involve cats who can talk to humans, but it's not that weird.
I haven't read any of her recent books to see how the women are doing after getting set up in the house. Time for a trip to the library.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
knoxgarden: The talk about retirement group living for women reminded me of a series of mysteries I read about a group of older women in a California coastal town who get together to do just that.
The books deal a lot with the dynamics and the reasons for doing it along with the mystery plot. They partly fund their purchase of a house by buying at yard sales and selling on e-bay. The author is Shirley Rouseau Murphy and she lives in Carmel, CA.
The plan starts in Cat Laughing Last
Book detail | Mystery Writers of America
The books do involve cats who can talk to humans, but it's not that weird.
I haven't read any of her recent books to see how the women are doing after getting set up in the house. Time for a trip to the library.
It's not that weird -- my three cats talk to me all the time!

CARMEL?? They'd have to sell an awful lot of stuff on E-Bay! Maybe the house isn't in Carmel.... Actually, I was just thinking that when my daughter comes back to stay for a couple of weeks in January, that a trip to Carmel is in order. I haven't been there since August. A very lovely place....but small, one-bedroom cottages go for over half-million dollars! I'll have to check those books out -- boy, if she made enough from those books to live in Carmel, I ought to get started on my book!

Okay, so how many women want to get together and start selling, selling, selling, and buying up things at yard sales? Actually, I do know a woman here who earns about $400/month just from buying old books at yard sales and then sells them on E-Bay -- I run into her at the post office when she's mailing her books out.

That's a good idea. We need to start getting some kind of group business going and get that money coming in.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:44 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
Wow. Coney, that sounds like a wonderful set-up. I guess that is part of the reason that you are so drawn to the same place.

Knoxgarden, I will have to check out that book .... Gracie the cat talks to me (at least when I buy her the "non-chunky" cans of Fancy Feast by mistake). YEOWWWWW, YOU IDIOT !

wisteria~ I am on the library board and we have book sales and we always have tons and tons of gorgeous new books left over (we sell them for 50 cents). I don't know how much money we can make doing that, unless we discovered an old first edition , which did happen in a library book sale near us, but then the person found out and sued to get the book back.

I also would have to sell my house in order to move, but I figure that it would be an even swap for almost anywhere as I am not sure where there are properties that have NOT declined. I did receive my Wisteria Place brochure and the cottages sound gorgeous, but seem too large for just Gracie and me. One or two bedrooms and a living room are all I would really need. No photos yet either as they are not built as of now .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-28-2008, 03:53 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,888,724 times
If I remember, the women have some funds from selling homes or retirement, but none of them can afford to buy this huge house they all want. So they come up with the idea of pooling their resources and get the additional funds they need through the ebay thing.
The book includes their discussions on it and how they came up with the plan. It's quite interesting.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
I've been enjoying reading the posts this afternoon. I still live in south Florida (35+ years), want a change, but what about the area around Ocala or northern Florida? Gainesville is home to a university and more temperate, but yet not too cold.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:11 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Cool Fact or Fiction ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
If I remember, the women have some funds from selling homes or retirement, but none of them can afford to buy this huge house they all want. So they come up with the idea of pooling their resources and get the additional funds they need through the ebay thing.
The book includes their discussions on it and how they came up with the plan. It's quite interesting.

Very interesting concept; however, I have watched Judge Judy too many years to even consider co-mingling my $$$$ with anyone

Plantlover........ I'm considering that area also.... along with Lakeland, Ormond Beach, The Villages, Sarasota, etc. There are many options beyond south Florida

Old 12-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Okay, I have an idea. This is something we can do on our own in each of our own homes. The cat mystery book gave me this idea. Perhaps, we are the cats that need to speak!

We are women, we are living alone, we want a different life, but want to have a community of like-minded women who have guts, have had life experiences that have made them strong -- very strong -- but also make them want to now have a support system -- being strong and doing so much alone does take its toll. But....we also have lots of individual, interesting experiences between us.

I know that many of us can write well (it's obvious from this thread), so .... I suggest that we each write a "chapter" of a book about our lives, how we got to where we are today. I'm sure many of us have had all kinds of ups and downs. I'm sure we have met and known many interesting/weird/famous/crazy people. Maybe there is one pivotal event, or one person who changed our path. And we are from all over the country -- so our stories will reflect those different stages in our lives and the influences of the places we have lived.

If we had maybe five to ten women contributing (the more the merrier), I think we could forge a new meaning to boomers retiring. Everyone has a story to tell. No life is devoid of experiences. Some are more "normal" and some are not. But I'll make a bet we've had some interesting interactions, travels, loves, hates, children, husbands (and ex's), late starts on some things, early starts on others. I have a feeling it could be very colorful!

I know I have had quite a colorful life, myself, and have known all kinds of people that make for interesting stories when I talk with people. I do not suggesting posting any stories here, but rather, those of us, if any, who might want to blend our stories and what our lives have held, the similarities, the differences, but what in the end brought us together could be very interesting -- and helpful to others.

I love to write, and I've had articles published, but have not had time to pursue free-lance writing too much, and have not had a big chunk of time where I could sit and write about my experiences at one time. Maybe now with my daughter in college, and having more time to myself, but sans the dramas of the past, I might be able to pull it together, finally.

If anyone is interested, let's put our names out here, and then we can privately work as a group via PMing and emailing and phoning. I am sure we could mold it into a cohesive "story" with not only interesting life events, but also a "life lesson," and a creation of community -- be it together or not.

I think a chronology of our lives ("I was born in the barn of my grandparents' farm, and the cows mooed so loudly I got collick....") would not be as interesting as bits and pieces, stories of who we are, why we are who we are, the people who have affected us -- in good and bad ways; what stands out as a memory that has impacted us, perhaps, given us a new definition of our lives. Sort of like swatches of colors from each of us to make a tapestry of life that is compelling. I do believe we have women here who are like that. I will volunteer to do the editing, compiling, all the word processing, etc. I just feel we have a story to tell, and a compelling one at that.

For me, I find it easier and more motivating to work in a group. When I teach my art class, I find that most of the students (who are usually older adults) also find that learning how to draw realistically by using the model of the book by Betty Edwards, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," feel that they just couldn't plow through the exercises in the book alone. Yet, as a group, they literally go from stick figures to realism in the seven-week course! It is really transformational for many of them. I feel the same way about this, if we do take on a project of this sort. There is so much creativity and experience out there, but it's hard to harness it all alone.

So, that is my suggestion for the evening.....One of my cats is "talking" to me now outside....of course, I'm ignoring him at the moment -- he'll survive...he's got a fur coat! They're like little children!

Thanks for letting me put that out there -- maybe it is a silly thought, but it seems like we have so much to give, and have gone through so much, lived in so many places, and I'm sure there are things we don't put on a message board that are also interesting and compelling. If anyone's interested, just let me know.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:01 PM

15 posts, read 48,750 times
I think i should leave this thread now. I've done my duty with info.
Wisteria, i'd take the invite of staying with your friends in Melaka.
Betsy, you are welcome to stay for a while.
You don't have to stay with us, but it would be cheaper and you'd have comfort, company and an info bank. To do the same thing on your own would be daunting.

I would NEVER suggest any one should rush into taking retirement in a foreign country.
For many people, it's not their thing.
Consider it, research it and try it. Don't ignore it
In all of Asia, Malaysia is the best (in my opinion) and the MM2H program is only for those with the money and with the commitment to stay.
Thanks for listening ladies.
Good luck and good health in your retirement.
greg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement