U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Anomoly:
Hey Everyone,
So glad I found this thread, as I'm in a similar situation. Wisteria, I've met you on the TrC, NM thread, and now that I know more about you, I'll follow your posts, cuz we are very similar. I also have to tell you, now, that Truth or Consequences is definitely NOT for you.

I still love the idea of Moab, Utah, as well as Mexico. Anyone going?

I love the idea of us all meeting up, forming our own little community (LOL).
Wisteria, have you moved yet?
Wow, what an interesting life you're having! Thanks for the input it is appreciated. I have been looking at what I could do in TorC, too such as the volunteer work, doing something constructive for the community. I've also noticed that the newspaper is a bit "folksy." I really do like the feel of it there, but, as you pointed out, there seems to be a dearth of activities and up and running organizations to work with. No, I have not moved yet another year, probably. But I am actively searching. I haven't actually put Mexico on my list -- I've only been down as far as Ensenada, so I haven't done any searching there.

I, too, have been considering Las Cruces now that I understand that TorC isn't a real active community, and has few resources. It's a shame because it could be really cute and desirable.

I did get to Moab, and it is beautiful. I found it quite open, although it seemed more like a college town-type atmosphere I don't know about a retirees' community there do you?? I also noticed that it is a town that is built as a main street because the mountains prevent building out and so the town is a long street, I guess. But very beautiful.

I love the southwest and the gorgeous red rock formations, and the low humidity, mountains, and the wonderful sun! Such a beautiful place to retire.

I do have a friend here in Santa Cruz who is retiring to Truth or Consequences in a few months. She's going there because her sister owns a second home there. I know that she wants to be involved in local organizations, however, I am not sure she has much information about any yet. She was born in New Mexico but spent the last 35 years in California. I hope to visit her once she and her husband are settled.

Maybe we could get a few of us to meet up together at some point and see what we're like. We could have a sign-up board on here maybe a thread to do that, or just PM each other.

I agree, I have lived in many bad-weather places, and I, too, have become a wuss with bad weather. Sometimes I feel silly about it because I lived in lots of bad weather in the past, but I really do love good weather, and I think that at this point in my life, I ought to have something sunny!

Let's talk about this. Who knows we may start a new movement for retirees!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,852 times
Default Woman retiring alone to new state - where & why

Greetings all,

I am so glad to have found this site and this thread in particular.

I am a 50 something woman who will be moving FROM New Hampshire (those with questions about the state are welcome to ask me) where I have been for the past 24 years. I plan to make a move in the next 3 or 4 years, after my youngest child leaves for college, and the housing market improves. I have been researching some small cities, especially in North Carolina, such as Ashville, Carrboro and Wilmington. However, 2 nights ago I had a dream about Austin, Texas as a great place to live. I know that UT is there, but know little else. Like many of the posters on this thread, I am concerned about finding like-minded people, lots of activities, inspiration and good weather, as well as relatively easy access to an airport so that I can visit my 3 kids and they can visit me.

If any of you have any experience with Austin, I would love to know your thoughts. What a great group of thoughtful women (and one man). Thanks for all your replies.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:09 PM

7,297 posts, read 15,350,510 times
A group of (female) writer friends (spread out all over the country, connected only by the internet) decided what we'd like to do is purchase a huge old hotel or abbey. Somewhere that we could have halls or "wings" - the crafts wing, the reading wing, the writing wing, the cooking wing, the computer wing, the gardening wing, the movie/theater wing, the travel club wing - and you could just move around from wing to wing or interest to interest.

I'd miss the spouse, though....

Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,076 times
Default Let's make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
A group of (female) writer friends (spread out all over the country, connected only by the internet) decided what we'd like to do is purchase a huge old hotel or abbey. Somewhere that we could have halls or "wings" - the crafts wing, the reading wing, the writing wing, the cooking wing, the computer wing, the gardening wing, the movie/theater wing, the travel club wing - and you could just move around from wing to wing or interest to interest.

I'd miss the spouse, though....
Sounds like a Mormon house with all those wings LOL
Kidding... I love the idea, as I said before, I'm tied to nothing---no time lines, my home goes with me everywhere I go!
Can't wait to hear more, as more us seem to find this thread!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
I am not quite ready to retire, but I am a horticulturist and content manager for a website. Count me in!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,076 times
Thumbs up where should we meet up?

Say we did organize a 'meet-up'. How would we decide where? Most ppl are not like me, so I assume ppl would have to fly or drive, and who has the money to spend going somewhere they don't know about. Wait a minute... I guess I would enjoy doing that, so maybe more of you would be willing than I first assumed..
I'll throw out my 1st choices.
WHERE?:
Moab
Mexico-coastal
New Mexico(any)

WHERE NOT?:
Anywhere cold

WHEN?:
Anytime

WHEN NOT?:
n/a

Old 03-11-2008, 05:30 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
Cool If you all can wait until June......

A group of (female) writer friends (spread out all over the country, connected only by the internet) decided what we'd like to do is purchase a huge old hotel or abbey.

Count me in , ladies !!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
I, too, have been considering Las Cruces now that I understand that TorC isn't a real active community, and has few resources. It's a shame because it could be really cute and desirable.

I have been looking into Las Cruces, too. wisteria. I had thought about Portland , but for weather and financial reasons , probably will not go there (too cold & rainy when I really do like the sun. The houses cost more than double than those in Las Cruces) .
So, I am going back to my first choice which was Las Cruces.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-11-2008, 06:04 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
Does Las Cruces get hot during the summer? I am so tired of 90+ temps and high humidity for 6 months of each year. This weekend, we are supposed to be near 90!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
I just spent a week in LC, and was pretty impressed with 'retiree' life.

What I liked...
engaged, well educated, articulate, interesting, and artistic seniors, very involved with community and schools (including University). A very fun and diverse group... liberal professors to aerospace and defense engineers. Lots of cultural things to do, not bad traffic / congestion nor too busy pace. Hospital facilities were very nice, clean and even had friendly customer service employees. People in stores would laugh and joke and engage in conversation.

The 30 min trip, to the ELP airport (back-way, not need to go through ElPaso), was really nice to catch the $87 fare on SWA.
The Village Inn had choice of breakfasts for under $5, not something you find in Portland anymore...

I liked it enough that I am narrowing my search to include areas near national labs, as they are often in nice places, and retirees stay around. It reminded me of my childhood and the fun folks I met who worked at the National Standards lab in Boulder, or Rocky Flats, or now those types would be at National Renewable Energy Lab in Golden, CO. Oak Ridge, TN looks good too.

In LC,...(I was visiting an aged parent, that moved there 12 yrs ago, I hadn't been there for ~20yrs)

They have tried 2 different spots, but have settled on a nice spot quite close to UNM and Hospital, but on a ridge. Nice sunrise over Organ Mtn and sunsets over the Mtns to the west. 1 blk to a 'open-space' (not quite like a 'green-space' in PNW ). I went on the 'usual' house hunt, a ritual since I was a kid of seeing spec homes and looking for bargains and good ideas. There are some decent available options, and I feel it is over built for the current market, so probably some elasticity in the pricing. I would avoid getting too far out, as driving can now be very expensive, and they used to live a 25 min drive to LC, and it was a pain when you forgot something, or just wanted to drop in on someone.

It is really dry. Hot in summer, but not unbearable (as it was for them in Havasu, AZ...) Large overhang with airy porch is essential, but plants grow pretty well. Not too sure about gardens, but there is quite an ag industry there, so I expect it is fine to garden, flowers do great.

It's too barren for me, but would be nice the 9 months that Portland is 'not-so-nice'. I would probably have an 'efficiency' apartment, or a basement room rental in Portland and commute up for the late summers (July - Sept), for $87 on SWA... (that doesn't buy much gas !!)

Good luck, you gals are having too much fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement