U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I visited Colorado in the summer of 2001 to attend a conference. I went on a 5-day pre-conference tour. We traveled from Denver to Grand Junction, spending one night in Steamboat Springs, a night in Grand Junction and a couple nights in Vail. I love mountains! I love wildflowers! I love hiking! I love old places like ghost towns, wide open spaces. I would move to CO if affordable housing is available.
Well, Plantlover, you are the first, I believe, that is interested in CO. I lived in Denver for 2 years and just loved everything about it - most of all the beauty and the climate (yes, it does snow there). I had my family out for Christmas both years and we were driving around with the windows down and no coats on ('92 & '93).

Friends came in the summer and were shocked that there weren't any bugs (mosquitos) bothering them when we sat on the patio.

It's a big melting pot - people are from everywhere - this is a very good thing!!

I don't plan on moving to Denver - it's larger than what I'm looking for, but I went to Colorado Springs 11/2007 and liked it alot. My plan has been to move to Colo Sprngs when I sell my house - rent - then travel around CO, NM, etc... I want to be sure I've found the best spot before I commit to housing.

I'm also a gardener - roses, in particular, grow like crazy in CO (all that sun!). I'm thinking of getting involved with a nursery (as in a paid job).

Think about it - nothing is in concrete yet. I'm interested in a community type of setting, but not if the expense is too high. Who knows what I'll get for my house - I don't have a clue anymore. CO has had alot of foreclosures, however, I'm not sure what their housing status is right now. Go to the CO forum and read up. Caution: they are willing to help but they do expect people to do searches and read previous threads. Some get a bit hostile if you answer questions and haven't done any research. Also, try to avoid mentioning "I'm thinking of moving to CO".......Last year you would have heard - "Great, come on." This year, not so welcoming to any more people - lots of people are moving to CO - it remains one of the top states for growth. Also, to get current home values, go to a real esate site and search around.

I'm not entirely sure I'll end up in CO. I'm not sure of anything. Wait til the dust settles, or at least spring, when I'll have to decide if now is the time to put my house on the market. I do believe in the concept of getting less at this end and paying less at the next spot is an even draw.

So, mountains are gorgeous - yes. Colorado has so much to see and do - if you're bored in CO - it's your own fault.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Well, Plantlover, you are the first, I believe, that is interested in CO. ... Colorado has so much to see and do - if you're bored in CO - it's your own fault.

I think there are a few others interested in CO. It does have pretty friendly taxes (and most people)

I did my first 25yrs near Loveland (Masonville / Devil's Backbone area)

For my tastes and Front range I would prioritize;
Loveland (west central downtown, very artsy and nice place for 'young' seniors), Berthoud, (both cities are in gardening / weather 'banana belt')
then
Ft C (I prefer quiet to traffic, and Ft C has plenty of traffic, but more 'to-do')
Check into cohousing in Lyons, that might do, and be cheaper than Boulder's cohousing. There are a few 'senior' cohousing places in the area, and a couple in Ft C. They seem to be pretty spendy for what you get.

For Mountains I like Buena Vista, Alamosa (northern areas of CO are ravaged with pine beetle). Estes Park is nice and has a new 'co-housing' rural / cottage place by Mary's Lake. But it can be cold and windy in the winter. (nicer to visit than to live there, and only 30 min from Loveland, on a nice day)

Western = Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction (or Mesa / Delta Area)

Colo is WAY crowded for me to return to, as you can never really go home to what you remember (as in piece and Quiet)

Old 12-31-2008, 10:17 AM

Janb- I have not spent any time in the northern areas you mentioned - this is one reason I want to "park" somewhere and then travel around. I asked a friend from Denver what she thought of the northern areas and she said that they were jam packed - too much traffic - and wouldn't consider moving there. I have family in Ft C & Longmont so I had thought that area might be a good choice. So, are you a native CO person? I found it so odd - in the two years I lived in CO, I did not meet 1 person that was a true native (born, raised) of CO. I always asked: "So, where do all the natives live?" Granted, many had been there 10, 15, 20 years,but they were born and raised elsewhere.

I'm also researching the Shallotte/Calabash NC area. I had looked at a new devlopment "Wisteria's Place" - very cute. BUT, they want 2006-7 prices. Normally you can negotiate with these builders but from what I have read, too many builders started using sub-standard materials when the market went bad, especially in the structure where it can't visibly be seen. If you negotiate a lower price before it's built, I fear you are destined to get what they think you paid for.

Have you spent time in NC? I'm open to opinions. I wonder about those dreaded hurricanes - Shallotte isn't far from the coast and I don't want to worry about loosing everything for nearly half of the year. Peace - right!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
For my tastes and Front range I would prioritize;
Loveland (west central downtown, very artsy and nice place for 'young' seniors), Berthoud, (both cities are in gardening / weather 'banana belt')

Ft C (I prefer quiet to traffic, and Ft C has plenty of traffic, but more 'to-do')
Colo is WAY crowded for me to return to, as you can never really go home to what you remember (as in piece and Quiet)
I spent most of my grade school years in Berthoud. It was a tiny farm town then and doesn't look much bigger now from Google maps. I was shocked a few years ago to see the non-stop strip between Ft Collins and Loveland and the terrible traffic. I do remember a very cold mile long walk in -20F to grade school one morning. My mother dressed me in a couple pairs of my brother's pants under my dress and I got into trouble for violating the dress code - dumb rules from the '60's.

But like all of the Front range, the weather is all over the map. Just as likely to be mild as frigid. Front range CO is dry. I can really feel it in my hands after a few days there.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
What are you referring to as the Front Range?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
What are you referring to as the Front Range?
Typically it refers to all those areas along the beginning of the prairie and the foothills just east of the mountains in CO - The southern reaches might go so far south as Pueblo and north thru Ft. Collins (or even up to Laramie, WY).

Technically, the front range is the first real mountains (not foothills) of the Rockies that rise up out of the high prairie. Easterners tend to think the foothills are mountains because they are so much larger than any mountain in the east.

Last edited by Tesaje; 12-31-2008 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,199 times
Okay, it sounds like MN2CO is getting us into the Colorado mode!

I'm still at work -- with my new boss who is lurking around, so this will be short (like me!)

I noticed that the houses in Colorado Springs were really reasonably priced. If there were more of us there, I'd re-consider it. I lived in Boulder for five years, and as Tesaje says, it is crowded along that whole Front Range corridor -- wow, I hadn't seen it in years and was shocked -- strip mall after strip mall, no divisions between towns, and way too yuppified now. I was very disappointed, as that was at the top of my list for relocation, at the time.

I could deal with Colorado Springs if there was a ready-made network. I'm not real keen on the growing military presence or fundies, but I know you can steer clear of them. Grand Junction was really nice and warm (although I know they get snow in the winter, but winters in Colorado don't begin to compare to winters in the northeast or midwest!). But Grand Junction has now grown a lot, and it, too, seems to be attracted to Strip Mall Heaven! What is it with these strip malls and junky chain restaurants? I must be out of the loop, because they just don't appeal to me.

So, I'm adding in Colorado back to my list! That'll teach you, MN2CO!!

And don't forget our book -- we need to get out there, get known and get MONEY for our village community!!

Well, gotta go -- sorry....see you later!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Okay, it sounds like MN2CO is getting us into the Colorado mode!

I'm still at work -- with my new boss who is lurking around, so this will be short (like me!)

I noticed that the houses in Colorado Springs were really reasonably priced. If there were more of us there, I'd re-consider it. I lived in Boulder for five years, and as Tesaje says, it is crowded along that whole Front Range corridor -- wow, I hadn't seen it in years and was shocked -- strip mall after strip mall, no divisions between towns, and way too yuppified now. I was very disappointed, as that was at the top of my list for relocation, at the time.

I could deal with Colorado Springs if there was a ready-made network. I'm not real keen on the growing military presence or fundies, but I know you can steer clear of them. Grand Junction was really nice and warm (although I know they get snow in the winter, but winters in Colorado don't begin to compare to winters in the northeast or midwest!). But Grand Junction has now grown a lot, and it, too, seems to be attracted to Strip Mall Heaven! What is it with these strip malls and junky chain restaurants? I must be out of the loop, because they just don't appeal to me.

So, I'm adding in Colorado back to my list! That'll teach you, MN2CO!!

And don't forget our book -- we need to get out there, get known and get MONEY for our village community!!

Well, gotta go -- sorry....see you later!
The Springs always had a large military presence. The Air Academy, Ft. Carson, and NORAD are all there and have been for my whole life. What is different is the large fundie thing and the invasion of fundies into the military. That is something I don't care to live around when I have a choice - they change the character of the environment and politics in ways I don't care for. By contrast, nearly all the military bases in Denver are closed and are now "beige fungus" housing developments. (Fitzsimmons, Lowry, etc.).

On the other hand, I enjoyed my pubscent life in the Springs more than any other place I have lived except for the SF Bay area. But then I was a kid too.

The big thing about CO that kills it for me despite having a large family presence there is the air quality. I have asthma as a gift of middle age and don't need the added problems of poor air quality for my long term health. Air quality is one of the requirements on my list.

Grand Junction is nice and mild for CO. Great fruit growing region and there is a considerable retiree community there. It is pretty isolated from any major metropolitan area (SLC or Denver).

Wisteria, I like your idea of writing the stories. But for me, my last year at work means no leave at all so between my long commute and working, my free time will be even more limited than in the past. I'd have to think long and hard about what snippits of my life are interesting but it is something I've had some passing thoughts about... Sometimes it takes another view to realize that your life is interesting to others.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:09 PM

Default OK, you two!!

Wisteria - about time you are getting with it. You could hike your (short) little soles off.

I agree with strip malls - yuck--o. Perhaps the good news from our current economy collapse is that there will be a whole lot fewer of them. I've read that along with the fact that a majority of people feel it was really poor planning, many businesses are now defunct and these strip malls will be flattened.

Tesaje: Denver has that cool air inversion thing, but it doesn't last forever.
I will say, if I had small children I would not live in Denver. More people seemed to have kids with asthma than without - very odd.

I've read that this isn't as big in Colo Springs (partly because CS isn't as big). The CO-Colo Sprngs thread (do a search or look at the sticky index for more info). That thread has covered all these topics.

It's a shame - seems like the humans have managed to ruin Boulder. Apparenty my friend in Denver was right about it being real conjested along the northern front range.

Any place that has anythng going for it is going to be heavily populated - fact of life.

I really do like the idea of "gated" communities. Shut those gates and escape from whatever else is going on - I like the extra layer of security.

Oy, I just thought of something - what will happen when we shrink - a bunch of 2' blue-hairs running around For those that are new to this thread, many of the ladies are "vertically challenged", myself included.

Happy New Year, "y'all"!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:58 PM

Default oops! The book..

Wisteria - almost forgot to reply about your book. Yawn - I'll provide whatever you need - but be advised!!!!!!!!!!! and be prepared to be BORED out of your mind!! I don't see my life to be book quality. I'm already set up to receive regular email (here on CD). If you want me to start writing - I'm not entirely sure how "deep" you want it. If you email me and provide your email address, I'll get something going by, hmmmm, Monday and email to you. I'll be glad to provide my TN if I have your email (could get costly but would be fun to talk to you once!!!!).

Have a Happy New Year's Eve/Day........................!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement