U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 08:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Janb- ... I want to "park" somewhere and then travel around.
These (Nor CO) are REALLY nice areas and very accessible to other places / recreation. Especially WY - which has superb nearby recreation - Veedauwoo Wyoming Family Trip, 8-02 - Veedauwoo - Worldisround photo and Snowy Range Snowy Range and Saratoga / Encampment SARATOGA -- Welcome to SARATOGA, WYOMING located in the beautiful Platte Valley I LOVE WY recreation, (very pristine and uncrowded) am even considering working for Xanterra in Tetons or Yellowstone for a winter. Loveland and Berthoud are 1 hr to DEN, Cheyenne, or Laramie. 45 min to Boulder, Estes Park (RMNP). 30 min to Greeley, 20 min to FtC or Longmont. LOTS of medical, LOTS of arts and entertainment. LOTS of hiking, gardening, camera, singing, art, and reading clubs.

Quote:
a friend from Denver what she thought of the northern areas and she said that they were jam packed - too much traffic -
probably Denver attitude, tho during rush hour traffic can be bad. Go to Loveland, and don't use the main streets (Highway 34 or 287) during rush hours. Mid-day is very ez, <10 minutes to anywhere in town, and many areas are Walkable, I don't suggest living or transiting on the east side 287 to I-25) or to the 'new' mall at Centarra (I-25). Living within walking distance of Lake Loveland or Statue park, Loveland High Plains Arts Council - Sculpture in the Park (http://www.sculptureinthepark.org/benson_park.html - broken link) is nearly 'heavenly' for walking and enjoying the abundant sunshine. One of my friend's is 91 and has logged nearly 1000 walking trips around the lake since retiring at age 68... has also climbed ALL 52 of the 14,000ft CO mtns since then, as well as the Grand Teton) i.e. a healthy place to live. For me, the draw is very CHEAP and convenient lap swimming, I like to do a mile a few x / week. Berthoud now has a bypass for Highway 287, traffic is non-existent for the 'retiree' schedule, but Berthoud would require driving to much shopping beyond Safeway. (15 min to Loveland or Longmont)
Spring hail and winter wind is downfall of NorCo, but... in general it is tough to beat. Estes Park / RMNP is really a great place to 'get-away'. In the summer you can quickly get to Grand Lake and points west, but as previously mentioned Pine Beetle has done HUGE damage in western NorCo.

COS is pretty nice, with slightly harsher weather, nice city (trees!) and nice folks (Mil and Fundies can carry on intelligent conversations, that is WHY I like LC, NM). The COS airport is great, but you often have to transit through DEN (i.e. nearly Kansas ). COS is close to NICE Colorado destinations (which are often too crowded for me).

Quote:
Have you spent time in NC? I'm open to opinions. I wonder about those dreaded hurricanes -
I only spent a couple winters and ONE summer in eastern NC... I'm not into humidity and needing AC, 50F night sleeping for me ! (I don't need AC in PNW ) Western NC is better for me, but still too 'muggy' in summer.

I'm NOT a CO Native, I arrived there at age 5, (In a covered wagon, from Nebraska ) I have many native friends, and they have always 'accepted' me, tho there is a contingent that is not accepting. Most 'real' CO natives who were used to the 'raw' CO culture departed to WY and ID in the 70's & 80's. The Californication of property values (taxes) drove many out, including my folks who lost their Masonville ranch in the early 70's. Just as now happening to me, property values raise taxes to unreasonable (unsustainable) level and you need to go find a new bridge to live under ($33/day for me... 10 yrs ago was $3/day... same place, just 10 more yrs 'worn-out', and 300 new county residents / month who USED to pay $xxx for props) I live in a "National Scenic area", that is pristine, and highly sought after, but taxing out the locals, as happened in CO.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,992 times
Default Long Time, it's been....

I miss my group here, and felt like time to reconnect with everyone!

Can't remember where I left off, but I'm up in Oregon since the end of October. It was a real rocky start with my mom, Thaniksgiving was celebrated separately, but by Christmas, things finally mellowed out, thank God, and we shared a nice SNOWY holiday here in the Northwest. Forget the rain, it was 2 weeks of solid snow, and I loved every minute of it.
But, I'm still looking for something to buy to return to settle in Las Cruces, NM.
To catch you up, I'm looking for a large travel trailer, or Park Model, to buy, and settle into Las Cruces, after being an RV gypsy for the last 3-4 years. My motorhome is in storage in NM, and I'll keep it to travel, but need a home base.
Anyway, I've been looking online alot, and found alot to consider. Right now, I'm considering one in Yuma, where it's set up and the space rents paid thru Nov. of next year. I'm interested, because it would be nice to have a "place called home" when I leave Oregon, and because I have stuff in storage along the Colorado River, so I could empty my storage, and eventually move the trailer to Las Cruces. I love the desert, and have lived in many desert cities, but YUMA is NOT my permanent cup of tea.
I say all this because I know a few of us were considering Southern New Mexico, and I just wanted to let you know I'm still planning on living in Las Cruces!
I've talked to Wisteria, and look forward to staying with her on my trip south from Oregon.
I remember someone saying 'this group is all talk', but I believe it takes alot of thought and dialogue, before you really decide what you want to do, and I know at least a couple of us are pretty serious about connecting up in Las Cruces. I'm excited!
I'll have to do some 'back reading' to find out where the group is, and who's doing what.
I'm still here, and still planning on being a part of this wonderful group!

Happy New Year to Everyone!!!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Southwestern Culture

[quote=Betsy63;6715136]Hello again,

In closing, I want to add this impression I had of my 2 week stay in Las Cruces last March. When I listened to my car radio, almost all the stations were in Spanish, or they were religious stations. When I went to the grocery store, even the cereal boxes were in Spanish. And in the stores, I rarely heard anyone speaking English. I believe Mexicans are the majority in Las Cruces, which for me felt as if I was in a foreign country...in other words...strange. And I can speak Spanish. Let's face it, the population is changing in this country. So, I guess we'll just have to get used to it.
/quote]
************************************************** ************************************************** *

Boy, I just have to jump in here, as I read back through the thread, trying to catch up with everyone:

I LOVE Las Cruces for all kinds of reasons, and after being in Po-dunk (?) towns, I found the College Radio Station to be OUTSTANDING!!! As far as religious goes, I found that EVERYWHERE I travelled in my motorhome, (in the Southwest). Even here in Oregon, man, they got that lower dial ENTRENCHED with religion!!!
As far as the 'spanish language' goes, it's part of the culture! I don't mean to be rude, but I think people from back east are somewhat surprised by the 'Hispanic Culture' that is alive and well ALL OVER the Southwest. I'm a WASP, but I love my Hispanic Culture!!!!!
I NEVER had a problem with language in Las Cruces, or Tucson, or anywhere else that people comment on. I DO speak some spanish, but rarely ever use it.
So, let's not forget that New Mexico and Arizona, and Southern California, have alot of "HISPANICS"!! Yes, many are illegal immigrants, but MANY are 'multi-generational' "MEXICAN AMERICANS".
I really hope that doesn't make anyone feel like they are in a "different country", because it's really what the Southwest is all about!

Buy a Ristra, and enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-hpim3062.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-hpim3070.jpg  

Old 12-31-2008, 09:06 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,398,977 times
Well, well - Anomoly finally surfaces . What could be keeping you so busy in Salem? Who said we were all talk? All he-- has broken loose since we started talking about this many of us have lost a great deal of $$ so now it's plan C. I just hope I have a few bucks left to move with.

My mother and I had a 3 day limit - by the beginning of the third day we both knew who ever was visiting had to go OR else!!

So, LC worked out - that's good to hear. I wasn't sure if you liked it or not. You really are a true gypsy girl- I admire your bravery and free spirit. I guess I need roots.

Take care - and check in more often - I feel like you're my kid - I worry about you!!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 PM

Default How Wonderful to be Remembered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Well, well - Anomoly finally surfaces . What could be keeping you so busy in Salem? Who said we were all talk? All he-- has broken loose since we started talking about this many of us have lost a great deal of $$ so now it's plan C. I just hope I have a few bucks left to move with.
Yeah, I'm good. Iccckkk! Hate to think about everyone affected by this economy...

My mother and I had a 3 day limit - by the beginning of the third day we both knew who ever was visiting had to go OR else!!
well, I really think my mom wanted me to come, but didn't envision any compromise... HUH?? Now, she doesn't follow me around turning lights off, while she has the house lit, or putting my things on the 'floor' to be removed, while her house is full of junk, and I can peacefully SMOKE down in the garage, where I am now, on my computer, with a BEER!

So, LC worked out - that's good to hear. I wasn't sure if you liked it or not. You really are a true gypsy girl- I admire your bravery and free spirit. I guess I need roots.

Take care - and check in more often - I feel like you're my kid - I worry about you!!
Oh, bless you, about the kid, I'm really a cat--always land on my feet!! And, I'm familiar with some pretty scary elements of life, that never bother me. I just want to grow some roots too!!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Let's Go, Ladies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Okay, I have an idea. This is something we can do on our own in each of our own homes. The cat mystery book gave me this idea. Perhaps, we are the cats that need to speak!

We are women, we are living alone, we want a different life, but want to have a community of like-minded women who have guts, have had life experiences that have made them strong -- very strong -- but also make them want to now have a support system -- being strong and doing so much alone does take its toll. But....we also have lots of individual, interesting experiences between us.

I know that many of us can write well (it's obvious from this thread), so .... I suggest that we each write a "chapter" of a book about our lives, how we got to where we are today. I'm sure many of us have had all kinds of ups and downs. I'm sure we have met and known many interesting/weird/famous/crazy people. Maybe there is one pivotal event, or one person who changed our path. And we are from all over the country -- so our stories will reflect those different stages in our lives and the influences of the places we have lived.

If we had maybe five to ten women contributing (the more the merrier), I think we could forge a new meaning to boomers retiring. Everyone has a story to tell. No life is devoid of experiences. Some are more "normal" and some are not. But I'll make a bet we've had some interesting interactions, travels, loves, hates, children, husbands (and ex's), late starts on some things, early starts on others. I have a feeling it could be very colorful!

I know I have had quite a colorful life, myself, and have known all kinds of people that make for interesting stories when I talk with people. I do not suggesting posting any stories here, but rather, those of us, if any, who might want to blend our stories and what our lives have held, the similarities, the differences, but what in the end brought us together could be very interesting -- and helpful to others.

I love to write, and I've had articles published, but have not had time to pursue free-lance writing too much, and have not had a big chunk of time where I could sit and write about my experiences at one time. Maybe now with my daughter in college, and having more time to myself, but sans the dramas of the past, I might be able to pull it together, finally.

If anyone is interested, let's put our names out here, and then we can privately work as a group via PMing and emailing and phoning. I am sure we could mold it into a cohesive "story" with not only interesting life events, but also a "life lesson," and a creation of community -- be it together or not.

I think a chronology of our lives ("I was born in the barn of my grandparents' farm, and the cows mooed so loudly I got collick....") would not be as interesting as bits and pieces, stories of who we are, why we are who we are, the people who have affected us -- in good and bad ways; what stands out as a memory that has impacted us, perhaps, given us a new definition of our lives. Sort of like swatches of colors from each of us to make a tapestry of life that is compelling. I do believe we have women here who are like that. I will volunteer to do the editing, compiling, all the word processing, etc. I just feel we have a story to tell, and a compelling one at that.

For me, I find it easier and more motivating to work in a group. When I teach my art class, I find that most of the students (who are usually older adults) also find that learning how to draw realistically by using the model of the book by Betty Edwards, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," feel that they just couldn't plow through the exercises in the book alone. Yet, as a group, they literally go from stick figures to realism in the seven-week course! It is really transformational for many of them. I feel the same way about this, if we do take on a project of this sort. There is so much creativity and experience out there, but it's hard to harness it all alone.

So, that is my suggestion for the evening.....One of my cats is "talking" to me now outside....of course, I'm ignoring him at the moment -- he'll survive...he's got a fur coat! They're like little children!

Thanks for letting me put that out there -- maybe it is a silly thought, but it seems like we have so much to give, and have gone through so much, lived in so many places, and I'm sure there are things we don't put on a message board that are also interesting and compelling. If anyone's interested, just let me know.
Oh my, Wisteria, you ARE GOOD! I LOVE YOU, in a non-lesbian way! I love this idea, and have written all my life!!! Im just catching up on this INCREDIBLE JOURNEY of a thread, but you've piqued (?) my interest, once again! The stories to tell, it's A GREAT IDEA! And I'm sure would be a BEST SELLER ON OPRAH!!! (I mean, c'mon, if "THE SECRET" could capture so many who forgot about 'the 80's movement' or "Religious Science" or " Ralph Waldo Emerson"!!!!!) This is the NEW MOVEMENT for WOMEN! Hell, yeah!!
Somebody here is our "marketer".... is it JanB that's so good with this stuff??
Count me in! But I'm never sure how to bring it to fruition....

Old 01-01-2009, 04:46 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,739 times
[quote=anomoly;6783809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy63 View Post
Hello again,

In closing, I want to add this impression I had of my 2 week stay in Las Cruces last March. When I listened to my car radio, almost all the stations were in Spanish, or they were religious stations. When I went to the grocery store, even the cereal boxes were in Spanish. And in the stores, I rarely heard anyone speaking English. I believe Mexicans are the majority in Las Cruces, which for me felt as if I was in a foreign country...in other words...strange. And I can speak Spanish. Let's face it, the population is changing in this country. So, I guess we'll just have to get used to it.
/quote]
************************************************** ************************************************** *

Boy, I just have to jump in here, as I read back through the thread, trying to catch up with everyone:

I LOVE Las Cruces for all kinds of reasons, and after being in Po-dunk (?) towns, I found the College Radio Station to be OUTSTANDING!!! As far as religious goes, I found that EVERYWHERE I travelled in my motorhome, (in the Southwest). Even here in Oregon, man, they got that lower dial ENTRENCHED with religion!!!
As far as the 'spanish language' goes, it's part of the culture! I don't mean to be rude, but I think people from back east are somewhat surprised by the 'Hispanic Culture' that is alive and well ALL OVER the Southwest. I'm a WASP, but I love my Hispanic Culture!!!!!
I NEVER had a problem with language in Las Cruces, or Tucson, or anywhere else that people comment on. I DO speak some spanish, but rarely ever use it.
So, let's not forget that New Mexico and Arizona, and Southern California, have alot of "HISPANICS"!! Yes, many are illegal immigrants, but MANY are 'multi-generational' "MEXICAN AMERICANS".
I really hope that doesn't make anyone feel like they are in a "different country", because it's really what the Southwest is all about!

Buy a Ristra, and enjoy!!
Great to hear from you Anomoly! I'm glad to hear you liked Las Cruces and want to go back to settle. I might be able to get down this year. After this cold icy snowy weather I'm reconsidering somewhere warm! Brrr... When I was in Borders this week I wanted to go to the used book store in Las Cruces (or Powells.)

This week I talked to a woman interested in renting my room and after giving her my address which is all Spanish, she asked "was it hard to adjust to the language when you moved here?" My reply was that every area has unique language definitions to learn - in PA and WA there were many Native American words used for towns, etc. She looked surprised. I love the diversity in language and cultures in NM. I wish I could speak Spanish--it's a beautiful language. Someday I am going to try learn it again. Today two walking partners and I were discussing the possibilty of retiring in Mexico. Will they have to put up a wall to keep us retirees out who can't afford to live in the USA?

Happy New Year all!

Old 01-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Checking in again... Actually I'm waiting to hear back from the people in Yuma with the trailer for sale. The thought of going 'home' sounds so good, but I can't afford to jump at the WRONG deal, so when the right one comes along, I'll be happy I waited.

After reading your post, DancingEarth, and considering other's thoughts about weather, I decided to update that 'motto' thing beneath my username. Even in the middle of summer, I always think: "I'd rather be hot than cold!"
I'm just amazed that I haven't felt cold up here in Oregon.
....oh yeah, it probably has something to do with the fact that I rarely leave the house!!

Last edited by anomoly; 01-01-2009 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: huh?? what happened?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 PM

Default "How Happy are You?"

Just for conversation, did anyone see Oprah today? I rarely watch, but the topic was:
"How happy are you?"
They had a simple 6-7 question 'questionaire', and each question was answered on a rating scale (0: not at all thru 5 (I think):very true.
I think I'll go to the link, and post it here, if anyone's interested.
They had 6 people on stage, with various personal info, who the audience was asked to rate (guess), which was the 'happiest', and then revealed the scores each person rated themselves to be.
I didn't see it all, but the "Funeral Director" (also the only male, hmmmm) was rated correctly as 'the happiest'.
Any guesses how we would score? You might be surprised!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,398,977 times
"O" has been doing reruns lately, so, yes, I saw that show - not today - but before. The last person I would have choosen to be the most happy would have been the funeral guy - but then, that's because I view that job as being depressing.

How are your cats? Anomoly and her kitties (I have 1 cat; 2 dogs).

Don't you get stir crazy staying in the house so much? I find that I do - I go for a ride about town and feel so much better when I get home.

Here's question re: Las Cruces - the crime rate in Cuidad Juarez, MX has exploded and is downright scarey - kidnappings, decapitations, several hundred women murdered, police murdered, drug cartel wars.

Have you seen any of this spill over into LC? It's not very far and these thugs don't appear to be too worried about much.

Listen up Dancing... Go to the Mexico thread. Most (all) border towns have gotten more and more dangerous. And not just border towns - the US Govt has cautioned US citizens to stay out of Mexico. No travel at night. The police are corrupt so expect anything when approached and have lots of $$ to pay them off - you get the idea. Retiring in Mexico isn't like it use to be - kidnapping Americans seems to be a favorite passtime.

OK, enough doom & gloom. Here's to our new year - may we all prosper and find the peace and happiness I know we all deserve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement