U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 11:44 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,610,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Hi Miruca,
Sounds like you live in Olympia (or on the coast.) In my stat class at Evergreen I learned Olympia had more rain than Seattle. I loved Olympia and the Olympic Peninsula except for the rain and I couldn't find an interesting job that paid enough to live there after I graduated last year. I found Olympia more expensive than Santa Fe! I made wonderful friends the last five years in WA. I miss them and the sense of community I found there. It takes time, patience, lots of reaching out, enduring loneliness, and determination to find the people you connect with when you move and an open mind to it being different.

It's been one year since I moved back to Santa Fe and I've made a couple of friends. I have been forunate to have a neighbor who had recently broken up with someone and has adopted me--we like doing similar things. She grew up here and has introduced me to others. I exchanged numbers with people I met in pottery class but because of buying a house haven't had time to call to begin friendships. Now that I've gotten my house in order (except for the garage which has been the dumping place for everything I didn't know where to put in the house!) I'm looking forward to doing things that will get me around other like minded people. I got my 2009 calendar out and I'm writing down things going on in the area--it's easy to miss things if I don't do that ahead of time.

Is anyone a Master Gardener here? I've always wanted to do that program and with the yard being a blank slate I could use the info and ideas for it. I like the idea of volunteering at the Farmer's Market booth or working in the Railyard garden and answering people's questions. It would be a good balance to my job which is all computer work. And also feed my need to learn something new. I'm signed up for a pottery class at the community college and a salsa dance class on Friday nights--the one night I wish I had something to do other than go home after work. Intentional community can be a state of mind. I think if you move to an area that has the things you like to do and get out and do them you will find new friends. It is not easy at first especially when you've been somewhere so long and have such a good community but it gets better with time.
Dancingearth..... all your posts about Santa Fe have caught my interest As an "older" senior citizen...... would I fit-in with the community lifestyle?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Default Find a bridge in a good area!!

janb - A friend of mine went to live in Oahu, HI for 1 year while her son was in med school there. She was telling me a story about a woman that lived "under a bridge" in Oahu. Whenever she was out in public (you know what I mean) she would be dressed to the nines. Walking down the street se looked like HI's elite - then she went home to her spot under the bridge. She was a very popular citizen.

So, the moral of this story is: There's hope yet!!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:12 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,529,576 times
Dancingearth..... all your posts about Santa Fe have caught my interest As an "older" senior citizen...... would I fit-in with the community lifestyle?

Mine , too dancingearth and Coney. And, you, Coney are NOT an older senior. OMG. Look at your lovely photos and all.

I do think that Santa Fe might be expensive as most desirable places are. But, we both have homes to trade , right? I just am not sure of the real estate there. Santa Fe has always intrigued me , though. Those beautiful warm desert vistas and nights that are filled with stars.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-03-2009, 02:37 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,890,681 times
I've vacationed in Santa Fe and loved the area. Wonderful place. Thought about moving there but decided it was too expensive and chic for daily living but makes a wonderful vacation. It does get cold in the winter and the altitude bothered me a bit. Great walking city.
As far as illegal immigrants go, remember that the entire Southwest was "discovered" and settled by Spain. The U.S. obtained it through some rather questionable policies and land grabs. The First Families in Los Angeles and Santa Fe and other places are Hispanic and consider Anglos to be the illegal immigrants.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Well, I just checked into the real estate in Santa Fe & this was the first place that came up :

Price:
$23,500,000MLS #:

807610 Class:
If 23 million is a "normal" price , then I guess that is too out-of-reach for me. I was hoping that it was a typo, but the next one down was 21 million. I could move to Manhattan or San Francisco if I wanted to pay that much.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-03-2009, 04:43 PM

Default Santa Fe

I did a very quick search on realtor.com for Santa Fe and found lots of homes under 400k but I don't want to spend a lot of time researching, because I'm not familiar with the area. My friend from Miami went to visit SantaFe just before Thanksgiving, she stayed at a very nice hotel by the town square and just LOVED her visit; however they were having a cold spell that week and the temps went waaayyyyy down .

If I'm going to go through all the stress of relocating again, I think I'd'ruther do it at a location where I don't have to freeze my tush, anymore; otherwise I might as well stay where I'm at, beautiful, friendly, affordable, stressless s/Oregon .

Next time my friend goes back to SF..... I'll meet her there and check it out, just for fun!

Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 PM

San Francisco would be my very first choice, but I don't think that I would be able to even afford a studio in a decent area. The real estate prices there are incredible. How lucky to have bought twenty years ago.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Default shoulda - coulda - woulda .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
San Francisco would be my very first choice, but I don't think that I would be able to even afford a studio in a decent area. The real estate prices there are incredible. How lucky to have bought twenty years ago.

I always thought (up to about one year ago) that real estate was the best investment anyone could ever make and that owning r/e property just earns more money each year. Well, that worked for me when I purchased my FL home in 1970 and sold it in 2005 but then....... everything hit the fan.

And, my oregon home - purchased with the FL proceeds has now decreased significantly in market value (same as cash to me). So - WHAT THE HECK ?

I'm still in a state of shock and might just hang out in cyber-space with y'all for a long time dreaming of living in San Francisco, Laguna Hills Village, Napa Valley, Santa Fe ! - Just rantin' & dreamin'

Old 01-03-2009, 06:14 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,040,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I was curious about the age distributions in various places and found this site where you can look it up. It's based on the census, so the latest data are from 2000. Scroll down to the place that interests you, like Santa Fe, and get the chart
http://http://www.censusscope.org/us/chart_age.html (http://http//www.censusscope.org/us/chart_age.html - broken link)

It would be nice to find some information comparing services for seniors in different places, to get a better idea of whether a place is suitable for growing old there.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 PM

510 posts, read 1,310,317 times
Default I found a home!!!

Haven't read up, but just wanted to let you know I'm buying that trailer in Yuma!!!
Mailed a deposit today, and I'll be leaving Oregon this week. With the space rent paid through November (10 months), I can pay off my loan (from dear old mom) in a little over a year!!
I'll be meeting up with ConeyIsBabe on the way down, and hopefully staying a day or 2 with Wisteria... How 'bout that?!!!
I'll keep everyone posted!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement