U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times

Advertisements

Just great for you - . This is also exciting that you will meet Coney & Wisteria - how fun!! Good luck with your trip and time in Yuma!!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:38 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Default Pictures!!!

Anomoly - Please take pics and post - please!!!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:40 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Dancingearth..... all your posts about Santa Fe have caught my interest As an "older" senior citizen...... would I fit-in with the community lifestyle?
There are many older people here--lots of retirees. When I do activities with the Santa Fe Singles the majority are older.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I did the program about 20 yrs ago when I had a u-pick fruit farm. It was great for learning and networking with like minded folks. I especially enjoyed the Q&A at events and weekly phone assignments. You get to field some interesting calls, like... "We're visiting from the city, and my wife is pregnant. She just ate 1/2 a cherry from her mom's tree, and found 1/2 a worm left in the remaining side , Is the baby in danger?". I guess my response was not too sympathetic , I was banned from answering phones for awhile.... I did MG for about 5 yrs, until we moved overseas and got dropped from the program. You often need to sign up in advance (summer) and our class was in the fall. It completed at Christmas with a great potluck~! Some classes are in late winter, so call the extension service. BUT... for those of us 'downsizing'....and living off our meager investments... I have an entire file drawer of great info from MG, I can't pack it around in my grocery cart, if I'm gonna be living under bridges
Thanks for the info--sounds like fun. The program starts in February--hopefully it's not full. I'll call on Monday.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I did a very quick search on realtor.com for Santa Fe and found lots of homes under 400k but I don't want to spend a lot of time researching, because I'm not familiar with the area. My friend from Miami went to visit SantaFe just before Thanksgiving, she stayed at a very nice hotel by the town square and just LOVED her visit; however they were having a cold spell that week and the temps went waaayyyyy down .

If I'm going to go through all the stress of relocating again, I think I'd'ruther do it at a location where I don't have to freeze my tush, anymore; otherwise I might as well stay where I'm at, beautiful, friendly, affordable, stressless s/Oregon .

Next time my friend goes back to SF..... I'll meet her there and check it out, just for fun!
One of the things going for SF is the affordable housing program. They require builders to build 25% affordable homes when they build developments. I got my home thru their program. Brand new construction - 3 bedrooms 2 baths, paid $194/M with a soft second of $8/M - 1,100 sq ft with a masonry walled in yard with just enough space for a garden. It's not in a highly desirable locatoin but it's been fine and I like the neighbors. There aren't any severly bad neighborhoods in Santa Fe compared to Philly or other places I've lived. But yes, it's cold and think Anmoly might have the right idea. Just not sure about the heat in the summer in Las Cruces even if it is a dry heat.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader;6818097I do think that Santa Fe might be expensive as most desirable places are. But, we both have homes to trade , right? I just am not sure of the real estate there. Santa Fe has always intrigued me , though. Those beautiful warm desert vistas and nights that are filled with stars. [/B
[/color]
I was hoping to see the meteor shower on tonight's hike but the clouds rolled in. I did get warm though--wow--not the most relaxing hike I've been on. Rutted icy road combined with my bad vision. What was I thinking? It was an adventure but from now on it's day hikes for me. I was the slowest one but felt better about it when the driver of my car made the comment "that was interesting." I thought if that was rated easy I would hate to see moderate. The view of Santa Fe was great. My friend agreed no more night hikes but I warned her I have other things to try.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:44 AM

384 posts, read 877,800 times
Urgh... I wrote a post that disappeared! I won't rewrite it all but here are directions to printable version for CatFancier

At the top right corner of the thread click on THREAD TOOLS, SHOW A PRINTABLE VERSION

Then on the printable version, underneath the page index click on
Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page

This results in about 25 web pages - each web page results in 12-20 paper pages. You still have to print each web page individually (25 of them).

Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 AM

177 posts, read 470,263 times
Default Community of Older Women

I am in the same boat as Wisteria and some of the other women who responded to this thread.

I would like to keep in touch as you make your decisions and find out how it is working out.

I am exhausted from trying to figure out what to do and where to go.

I have been out of the US for more than 3 years and I am starting all over.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best wishes for a great new year

Me Go Now

Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Default I'm "spoiled" forever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
One of the things going for SF is the affordable housing program. They require builders to build 25% affordable homes when they build developments. I got my home thru their program. Brand new construction - 3 bedrooms 2 baths, paid $194/M with a soft second of $8/M - 1,100 sq ft with a masonry walled in yard with just enough space for a garden. It's not in a highly desirable locatoin but it's been fine and I like the neighbors. There aren't any severly bad neighborhoods in Santa Fe compared to Philly or other places I've lived. But yes, it's cold and think Anmoly might have the right idea. Just not sure about the heat in the summer in Las Cruces even if it is a dry heat.
When I lived all those 30+ years in Miami Florida, it was within a short walking distance to the downtown section of my city, with its City Hall, upscale restaurants, many stores, businesses, etc. For most of those years, it was wonderful to walk to EVERYTHING, even work Well, like all places do..... it all changed.... and I moved out west

BUT, my point is....... I'm looking for something similar to that style of location..... very nice town, friendly people, low crime, no freezing winter, - where I can walk to everything within 8 blocks! Is that too much to ask for ?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM

510 posts, read 1,309,688 times
Default Are we there yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
I am in the same boat as Wisteria and some of the other women who responded to this thread.

I would like to keep in touch as you make your decisions and find out how it is working out.

I am exhausted from trying to figure out what to do and where to go.

I have been out of the US for more than 3 years and I am starting all over.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best wishes for a great new year

Me Go Now
Yeah, I know what you mean--exhausting!
Like, 'am I ever going to get there??'

I feel like my life came to an end in Tucson in 2000, and I've been struggling to build a new one ever since. The instability and uncertainty is stressful, even though I've enjoyed my time travelling, wandering, experiencing.
But, I am looking forward to having a 'home' with this trailer I'm purchasing. Seems like a 'go', but then everything in my life since 2000 seems to be endless 'broken dreams'. I get close to something that feels right, and then something happens, and that dream 'breaks' right in front of me. I've had to really be disciplined in my perspective. I have to keep remembering that "I do recognize what's right for me, and what's not, when I see it and feel it". Meaning --I just haven't found what I think I'm looking for yet, and I have to remember the 'gift' of being able to recognize the things that are NOT right, and to bounce away from them, in my search. Sometimes that's as good as it gets,
"NOT choosing what is NOT right."
Along the line, if you've read my posts, you'll see that I keep 'refining' what I'm aiming for, and that there are some 'silver threads' along the way. I've developed a pretty clear sense of WHAT'S ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT, versus
WHAT I CAN LIVE WITH, versus
WHAT I CANNOT TOLERATE.
For me, I see the importance of weather throughout my life, and therefore can't compromise on a 'cold climate'.
Also, I'm looking for 'community', so I don't want a remote location, or a 'dead zone'. It also means that if we ladies come up with a real 'community plan' that becomes a reality, then that could, I say could, trump my weather preferences. But, ideally, it would be 'a warm weather community' .

I have more, but I really wanted to help you see the journey in progress, as you find your way into the future.
What's seems constant for me is a desire to live in Las Cruces area, and to connect with other like minded people (like this thread) who are considering that area. Buying the trailer gives me the flexibility to be part of ALL of my dreams (location, and community, and group living).
Because of that, I'm making sure I take advantage of connecting with some of you personally, as I will with Coney (she's a day person, I'm night, but I'll adjust my southbound trip in order to meet with her), and Wisteria, of course, who's halfway down to my destination in Yuma. It's important enough to adjust my trip to accomodate these meet-ups, and any other possibilities to meet up in the future.

So, I understand your sense of 'overwhelm'. Just keep looking for your 'common themes' of importance, or inability to tolerate, and let them guide you, however long it takes.
That's my wisdom, from my 9 year journey! (Let's hope the bottom doesn't drop out for me this time--I'm tired! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement