Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 06:47 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times

Advertisements

I thought some of the most beautiful coastline anywhere is between Bandon by the Sea and Brookings. Fairly remote but breathtaking.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 AM

384 posts, read 990,317 times
Oregon coast ... hard to beat... especially the area that Tesage references.

Wisteria great pics - delightful community and view.

Interesting info on the knees! I've had two knee surgeries...before age 50. I had no idea one could do something other than surgery.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Talking The great www........

Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Interesting info on the knees! I've had two knee surgeries...before age 50. I had no idea one could do something other than surgery.

Had it not been for my first computer at home, and all the information available at our fingertips, I would not have known about the many alternative options available regarding health issues, knees, arthritis, anything.

It does take a lot of research and especially weeding out the valuable information from the "myths" but the answers are there for the looking on reputable web sites and from people sharing their stories

Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM

205 posts, read 397,305 times
Catching up on the several pages of post. Wisteria - you new home and community are just perfect!

I've moved so many times myself; that's why I dreaded this last move (and waited so long). But once you find your place, get rid of stuff you've just been moving around from one place to the other, the packing comes like riding a bike - you just get back into it. I was scrounging boxes and finally bought some at the U-haul place. Big mistake. They are too expensive - glad I only bought a few to get me started. I ended up buying the rest from Home Depot - very economical!!! Now that I've unpacked (well still have a few left) I've broken them down and hate to throw them out. They are in the garage waiting for me to decide what to do with them. Either put them on Craig's List for a really good buy or donate to some charity that helps people who may be forced to move (so sad).

Glad to hear from everyone. Summer is winding down here as well but it will be a few more months of hot, humid weather. Maybe by November we might have some cool days. Can't wait!!!!!!

Have bought my auto train ticket for the trip north. Am really looking forward to this trip and riding the rails.

Have a good Labor Day everyone!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Wisteria it seems like the pool might be the perfect place to get some easy exercise without hurting your knee. Not to mention fun too.

Karcon you could also list your boxes on FreeCycle. That's where I found lots of mine and when done passed them to the next person.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Thanks, Zugor. I have been so busy on weekends lately that I haven't used the pool yet (this past weekend my daughter visited -- and it was a very good visit, I am pleased to say!).

Things are moving along. I could use more days off to get things done, but I am accepting that it will take more time than I had hoped to create my "vision" of this home. I have a vision of lightly colored rooms, airy curtains, a more "colorful" version of my life!

I think the woman who lived here before me must have been a Gothic Amazon! Truly. The cabinets are so high (mirrors included), that I cannot see into or reach them! The colors in each room are so dark, that I feel like it's a mausoleum! Dark maroons, velvets, dark wood paneling that she put up, dark brown shutters and brown bamboo blinds. Dark, dark, dark! So, I have my work cut out for me -- lots of painting to do, new blinds and curtains to get, all the unpacking of boxes that seem to never become empty.

I did, though, get a new roof this week! That was good. And with a 20 year warranty, it may well outlast me!

I did show my daughter the Sunny Cove Beach near the park -- she was impressed. Even she didn't know it was there! You remember: http://beachcottagesantacruz.com/res...ve+Beach+2.jpg She was quite impressed and didn't even know it existed (which is good, because that means the tourists will have an even harder time finding it!)

I also have a "visitor" coming in ONE WEEK! Yep, someone whose name begins with "N." Hmmmm, can you guess? This person is also seriously considering living in the same park, next to the ocean, in California away from the snow and cold! I hope she likes it! Maybe I made it out to be so good, that it will be disappointing.... I hope not!

I will be the weekend tour guide. We shall see, and, maybe we will get new photos!

Well, El Jefe (I simply call him "El Bosso") has been rather "grouchy" lately, so I've tempered my time here. Unfortunately, with so much work to do at home, I haven't been on the computer at home very often!

I hope that my mystery guest "N" will bring a nice report back and some good photos! See ya later!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Talking wisteria.....

Agreeing that a pool is an excellent place to exercise for keeping flexible ~ I try to go at least twice a week.

Looking forward to your guest's report and hoping you take lots of pics I love to see photos of your surroundings in the mobile home park, the neighborhood, streets, etc.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
We will all be awaiting her report! You know, light colored paint on the walls can do wonders for brightening up a room (and making it seem larger). If that is all you managed to do (and re-hang the mirrors so you can see into them), it would probably hold you for quite awhile until you get around to changing things like curtains/shutters, etc, and it is very cheap and easy to do. And a step stool makes getting into high cabinets ok.

I hope that knee is feeling a little better. Glad the daughter is being nice too. It all seems to be falling into place for you.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
And a step stool makes getting into high cabinets ok.

No. no. Wisteria cannot climb on a step stool . . . . .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Wisteria,

I am very happy that you found a nice place to live. I enjoyed looking at your pictures and they helped me locate, exactly, where you live. I have been exploring the neighborhood, virtually, through Google Earth. I can see that you home has been repainted after the google pictures.

I did go to that Sunny Cove Beach. The shore along Monterey is beautiful; too bad it is too cold to swim. I got my taste of that water, falling in, as a carefree soldier. I remember visiting Santa Cruz, a number of times, when I was at the Presidio of Monterey--but I can only now remember the amusement park.

Your neighborhood is nice, quite a walk from the center of town but at least there is a bus, as I see, is nearby. I never thought about living in a mobile/modular home, so I did some research on Real Estate in Santa Cruz and elsewhere. I was surprised how expensive these homes are in these parks, vs. the ones you find here in Colorado. My city, Arvada, has no mobile home parks, but those that are here, are much cheaper, less lot rental, and have bigger lots.

It is interesting you can get many of the modular homes, around Denver, on your own large property, much cheaper than you can buy one in Santa Cruz and you would not have that expensive lot rental. But these areas are not Santa Cruz and does not have that ambiance.

I think these mobile homes can be a good value--as the building codes are now stronger and I like the idea that they are not built on site; better quality control. There are some very elaborate homes you can buy. If I was in a market for a new home; I think I would look seriously into getting a piece of land, putting in a basement and putting one of these permanently on my own land.

The Denver Metro area does not have much water amenities but it does have extensive parks and trails. California land along the coast is so expensive, developments and homes are densely built to make available of the minimal usable area along the coast. That is one issue I do not like about California--big state but many are living close along the coast. When I first saw Malibu, about 40 years ago, I was not very impressed---a busy highway along the front door, and homes press together along the beach--there are better looking homes along the Great Lakes. But again it is not California.

I also got a new roof--a big hailstorm hit and that was it. Big cost for the roof and new gutters. In addition, I had to remove many of my big trees, at big expense, because they where getting dangerous and I did not want them cause damage to the new roof. But now, I do not have the shade so I got a white roof---it is surprise how cool it makes the house.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement