Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
If we only lived in the same place, we could create our own traveling troupe of great women retirees!! Hmmm, maybe I need to get on that road again…….
This is a great idea
Even if it's a dream..... it's something to think about

Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As always, many great thoughts here! If we only lived in the same place, we could create our own traveling troupe of great women retirees!! Hmmm, maybe I need to get on that road again…….
Once freed from the workplace, there isn't any reason we can't. We don't all have to live in the same place, we just need to meet up and travel the road awhile together before we part again. (Isn't there an old song that says that?)

Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Once freed from the workplace, there isn't any reason we can't. We don't all have to live in the same place, we just need to meet up and travel the road awhile together before we part again. (Isn't there an old song that says that?)
Yes, there is an old song that is young again. It is being played quite often on BBC for the remembrance of the start of WWII. It is "We'll Meet Again" sung by Dame Vera Lynn. She was the "Forces Sweetheart" during the war. I heard this song, many times, as I was assigned to work with a British Army Unit when I was in the US Army, during the occupation. Vera Lynn is now 92 and revered in the UK and by Americans who remember...

Here is a link to her singing this song
http://www.pcdon.com/-VeraLynn_WellMeetAgain.wav

and the full web page for the songs that she is well noted, especially for "The White Cliffs of Dover"

Songs of Vera Lynn

I will now sit back and listen, with tears in my eyes, and remember...

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-08-2009 at 05:28 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
"We'll meet again" is a lovely song but thanks to the movie "Dr. Strangelove" it's now forever linked in my brain with mushroom clouds from atomic bombs.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
"We'll meet again" is a lovely song but thanks to the movie "Dr. Strangelove" it's now forever linked in my brain with mushroom clouds from atomic bombs.
I vaguely remember that crazy movie and I did not like it. We have all have our own memories and music brings those memories back, for good or bad.

Livecontent

Old 09-09-2009, 11:56 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Hi Wisteria,
Is your trailer village on a bus line? And do they have rentals or are all purchased by owners?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2009, 02:47 PM

Cool Summer's OVER ~ time to check in......

So.... wuzzup ??

Wisteria & Nancy.... how was the visit

A couple of ladies mentioned their travel plans..... how did it go Can you share your adventure with those of us who have stayed home !

Those ladies who are AWOL..... (you know who you are) what's going on ?

As for me ~ I'm hanging in there, hoping to enjoy the fall and preparing for the upcoming winter in the frozen tundra

So, wuzzup y'all ?

Old 09-12-2009, 02:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
I'm here, wondering the same thing. I bought the book "The Omega Diet". I'm reading it now. Do you have any tasty recipes for cooking greens (kale, etc.)? It is still hot and muggy here. Sept. is wet, but very normal, as you know. Thank goodness, no storms (knock on wood).

Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 PM

Cool Kale & Swiss Chard ..... Yum !

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I'm here, wondering the same thing. I bought the book "The Omega Diet". I'm reading it now. Do you have any tasty recipes for cooking greens (kale, etc.)? It is still hot and muggy here. Sept. is wet, but very normal, as you know. Thank goodness, no storms (knock on wood).
Kale and Swiss Chard are my favorite greens!

I just bought some fresh chard this morning at the local Growers' Market ! I'm a very lazy cook and don't like fussy recipes so I'll probably just steam it 'till tender, and top with olive oil and a little salt & pepper It's VERY healthy

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 09-12-2009 at 05:02 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Default Kale recipes

I heat some olive oil and saute sliced onions in it, with salt, and sometimes garlic, sometimes cumin seed. Meanwhile, I shred the kale, then add it to the onions when they are soft. I then put a lid on and let it cook at low heat till soft. If necessary, add a little water, but not much.

It's also good in the oven - toss well dried shredded kale in olive oil and seasonings, then spread out in one layer on a cookie sheet. Cook at fairly high temperature till done. This is good when done right, but I too often burn it. Watch it carefully. The original recipe may have called for 425, but I just put it in with whatever else I'm baking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement