Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 02:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times

Advertisements

Yes, I lived in the "new town" of Jonathan.

I've lived down here for 37 years, grew up in Indiana (22 years). I am not ready to retire, but would love to escape the heat, humidity, hurricanes and move to a place with four seasons. I've visited Colorado only once - in 2001 and traveled from Denver to Grand Junction. (Stayed in Steamboat Springs, Vail, Grand Junction ) in July and fell in love with the area. I first visited the west when I was 8 years old - Yellowstone area- and told myself at that young age, that I would end up in the west. I love wide open spaces, mountains, just the overall feeling and lifestyle found in the west. I have not decided where I will end up. I am single with two adorable dachshunds, no children.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You all want to see damp? Try the Pacific NW. ..after thirty years of living in Portland I have moss growing on my northern side.
This is so true, I'm actually growing webs and turning green (maybe that is just more 'wrinkles') Soggy / soggy (except for today)
70F and sunny !! Intellicast - Washougal Weather Report in Washington (98671) just think how much the Mother's Day event at the Rhodie Gardens will Profit at their annual sale Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden (this place was spectacular in the last two weeks, maybe I'll get there again before leaving for SD, WI, NoCA for 'adventures in May' , SR's 3rd personal escape from rainy PNW this spring)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
- Hopefully I'll be in CO (possibly Loveland, Ft Collins or Colo Springs)
70 F in Loveland today also (I would rather be there...) Intellicast - Loveland Weather Report in Colorado (80539) But as LC mentioned, the spring can be plenty wet. (and afternoon summer showers too (I lived through this, but lost several friends and co-workers, (company picnic that day in the 'canyon'))
Coloradoan Big Thompson Presentation http://www.google.com/images?q=big+t...ed=0CDkQsAQwAw
Sgt Purdy (RIP) wrote me more than one ticket while I was in HS, but he was also my teacher and friend of family, so guess he was keeping me in line!

Quote:
...I've lived here all but 2 years of my life so I am ready for a change - CO here I come
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
...I've visited Colorado only once - ... and fell in love with the area. I first visited the west when I was 8 years old - ....
I guess I lucked out, first 5 yrs in Nebraska, then next 20 in Colo / Wyo, (which I loved) then on west (WA) for next 25++. I really couldn't deal with humidity, sleeping with AC is not for me. I visited the outer banks of NC ONCE in the summer (age 18), and have done the 4th of July in DC, but I limit my visits to the humidity states to fall and early spring. (And to think I am considering living in Malaysia or Philippines to get econo medical....living in Singapore was pretty close to very great, but it is much cleaner, safer, welcoming than my 'affordable alternatives')

Hope you all have enjoyed a pleasant M-Day, and best wishes on those dreams. I hope they all come to pass.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Minervah - I'd have a real hard time there. I know it's beautiful but the sun really affects my moods and even if it's chilly, or down right cold, if the sun is shining, I can deal with it.

Today it's chilly - high 50s but sunny - just set out my nursery plants to get the sun. We can't plant anything permanently in pots for another week.

Off to "get the lead out"
Shake that lead, sister. LOL!

Seriously though, even when it isn't all that cold outside I find myself turning on the heat to "dry" out my apartment. 30 years ago I didn't notice the damp; now I do.

The beatiful green and early winter flowers come at the expense of the wet damp climate. And I am by no means a sun worshipper. I don't mind sunless days. But wherever I relocate to will have to have more dry weather than wet. One season is ok.

I am visiting a friend in Cleveland next month for a reunion of friends. She says she is going to try to sell me on Cleveland. It does meet much of my criteria so we shall see.

Denver and Knoxville TN are still on my list. And I am not ruling out your fair state of Minneapolis.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Denver is one of those places where they say if you don't like the weather, wait an hour and it will be different. .
No no, that's what they say about New England!
Or, could that be said just about anywhere now with climate and weather changes due to the severe effects of global warming?

In the last week, sometimes within a day's span, we have gone here from incredibly hot and humid (90) to thrashing thunderstorms with lightning with trees and branches downed all over the place, to small hail and high winds, to sunny and freezing (today). Tonight we are having a frost. Yesterday the weather changed by the hour, with high winds ripping through and then rain and then sun. I think with all the things I read including the New England Aquarium website that all parts of the country are in for unpredictable and big changes in climate and weather, faster than we think. So why move based on climate and weather? Places like Florida are going to be hotter than ever. New England will be like North Carolina. I would not live too close to a coastline. I would only move to better my financial situation, not for better anything, though I am extemeluy fortunate to live in a safe and lovely area. I do worry about all these trees, though.....

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Hi Minervah, oh I'm begging you, please please don't move to Cleveland. The weather is awful...brutally cold, ice, very long, seriously sunless winters, spring is nice but rainy, summer hot and humid, rainy, fall is about the only redeeming factor. I mean, there are some very nice wealthier areas there, but for the most part the city is really old, I'm talking rust belt.

I'll be interested in reading your take on Cleveland once you visit there. If you're still considering moving there after your visit, then I would suggest going again in the winter since you've said having no sun really affects your moods. There are very few sunny winter days. Trust me, I'm originally from Western New York State which has very similar weather.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Hi Minervah, oh I'm begging you, please please don't move to Cleveland. The weather is awful...brutally cold, ice, very long, seriously sunless winters, spring is nice but rainy, summer hot and humid, rainy, fall is about the only redeeming factor. I mean, there are some very nice wealthier areas there, but for the most part the city is really old, I'm talking rust belt.

I'll be interested in reading your take on Cleveland once you visit there. If you're still considering moving there after your visit, then I would suggest going again in the winter since you've said having no sun really affects your moods. There are very few sunny winter days. Trust me, I'm originally from Western New York State which has very similar weather.
I totally agree as I am also from Western New York. Springs are damp and raining. In the summer, it rains too much. The winters are too long, overcast and cold. Fall is indeed the best. I have been to Cleveland, ugh!--why go there when there is so much better.

Livecontent

Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I totally agree as I am also from Western New York. Springs are damp and raining. In the summer, it rains too much. The winters are too long, overcast and cold. Fall is indeed the best. I have been to Cleveland, ugh!--why go there when there is so much better.

Livecontent
I think she is looking for a city that has good transport, and as she said, she knows people there, both a real plus for someone living alone. Her needs for some amenities may outweigh the weather factor, I truly understand. I've heard mixed things on this city, not all bad--it is struggling to make a comeback. IMHO, better a city than suburbs in many respects.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think she is looking for a city that has good transport, and as she said, she knows people there, both a real plus for someone living alone. Her needs for some amenities may outweigh the weather factor, I truly understand. I've heard mixed things on this city, not all bad--it is struggling to make a comeback. IMHO, better a city than suburbs in many respects.
Yes, you are right. Knowing people is important. Public transportation is good is some of those rust belt cities. Though the public transit was terrible in the Buffalo area and the suburban service was sparse. Denver was way better when I moved here in the 70s.

I just do not like the racial conflicts and decay in those Great Lake Cities. In Denver ethnic and racial groups get along much better. We do not have the defined neighborhoods like it was when I lived on the Eastern Suburbs of Buffalo, next to the city line. I have now lived away from that area more than I lived there--I will never go back.

Livecontent

Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

Moi? No I am not nor ever have been a sun person. I know the weather is bad but there are other things to consider besides weather for me. I will give you my take on the city.

What Cleveland has is a world-class medical center, a large university, cultural stuff and public transportation. And it would be one place I could afford to semi retire to. But it is not my only option.

I came back to add that I am originally from Chicago. I think the weather is similar to Cleveland's. I love the cold and don't mind the rain as long as it eventually dries out for longer than a few months as in Portland where I am living now. The continual dampness here is getting to my old bones. And the COL is definitely eating away at my wallet.

And NewEnglandGirl is correct. I have friends there which would make the transition much more easy for me.

Last edited by Minervah; 05-10-2010 at 11:15 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 11:15 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
I try to imagine what you are living with on a daily basis and I admire your strength (even though we tend to disagree now and then).

Seems like there should be, with today's medicine, something that could make your life easier.
I'm in the same boat as Livecontent, with a chronic pain condition, and yes, it's debilitating and depressing. Like her, I can't even imagine packing up and moving again...it's difficult to even do basic things like walking or standing or even sitting comfortably. Friends and family constantly are trying to help "fix me" with various suggestions, and it gets kind of old....believe me, if I could fix myself, I would. And they don't understand that the pain itself drains me of the energy to go here and there trying different doctors or procedures.

Sorry to digress, just wanted to put my two cents in on why some of us will have to be content to just "dream"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.