Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times

Advertisements

triciaj - So you moved to NC and is it Asheville or just Asheville like?

I had a streak where I ran into nothing but mean, nasty (really disgusting) people - tell this jerk your PMS friends will come a kick some buttocks!

You still have your sense of humor - that's a very good thing

Enjoy your new home and I'll be interested to hear how you feel about your new location.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 PM

121 posts, read 292,456 times
I ran into a kind of nasty nutcase at Costco today. He was giving the poor yogurt sample hander outer a hard time, trying to impress her with his vast knowledge of yogurts! It was the end of the kind , should be retired, womans' shift and I could see she was tired. I had just gotten off work and I was ready for an encounter of the "witts vs: idiots kind". I engaged the nutcase in conversation, steering him away from the beleaguered woman. I soon dissapeared from the obnoxious man and his meaningless mutterings. I'd say that was a job well done! It's easy to steer a conversation, just let the talker think they're in control, their egos will blind them to your machinations and before they know it, score! They'll never see it coming and never admit defeat, even when their boat has sunk and their treading water. There is no cure for insanity! LOL and that's how I get through the day! Hey, this could be fun as long as no one gets hurt.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Just checking in -- it's been hectic here with my Mom (87) visiting from FL. As some of you may recall, I moved from the Jersey shore back to the Philly suburbs last year and am renting an apartment. All was well, until I got a "complaint from management" last week about my dogs barking. Supposedly multiple neighbors have complained, multiple times (but I'm just hearing it for the first time...). So now, I'm thinking I'd like to buy a nice single home, a cute rancher where there are no rules and no condo Association. Of course, I can't afford anything in this area as it's one of the most expensive in the Phila. area. Oh well....I can still dream. Meanwhile, I'm a paranoid wreck worrying about whether one of my doggies will make a sound! :-(

Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Just checking in -- it's been hectic here with my Mom (87) visiting from FL. As some of you may recall, I moved from the Jersey shore back to the Philly suburbs last year and am renting an apartment. All was well, until I got a "complaint from management" last week about my dogs barking. Supposedly multiple neighbors have complained, multiple times (but I'm just hearing it for the first time...). So now, I'm thinking I'd like to buy a nice single home, a cute rancher where there are no rules and no condo Association. Of course, I can't afford anything in this area as it's one of the most expensive in the Phila. area. Oh well....I can still dream. Meanwhile, I'm a paranoid wreck worrying about whether one of my doggies will make a sound! :-(
I feel your pain, I wanted to sign up for the foster pet program in my area and of course my landlord, (whom is a tyrant in other ways,) even after bragging about me being one of his best tenants, said, hell to the no, unless I'm going to pay $400 dollars each time I switch up pets. He proceeded to talk about how much trouble pets were. Don't get me wrong, I do understand how destructive some tenants allow their pets to be towards other's property, but still, he didn't have to be so, so, mean in his delivery of saying no. Well. I too still dream.

PS, what part of the Jersey shore did you move from? I lived in Monmouth Co for 11 years prior to my first move to Fl.

Last edited by TRosa; 05-27-2010 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: habit

Old 05-27-2010, 06:19 AM

73 posts, read 299,607 times
Fairwinds - I know that lady appreciated what you did for her in steering the numnut away

Old 05-27-2010, 03:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
I've contemplated moving to Asheville myself--or actually, the nearby environs as Asheville is too much city for me...there are a number of cute towns up that way--Franklin, Brevard, Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Hendersonville, Falt Rock, Fairview and such.

What keeps me from making the move? Last winter was a very harsh one, I heard, up that way. Not sure I'm ready to deal with the ice/snow/cold again.

Here on the NC coast, our winters are pretty mild.

But the beauty of the NC mountains is incredible...and hiking to waterfalls is very special.

I also like the mountain people and their crafts and friendliness a lot...

Besides Tricia J, anyone else live up that way who has any insight??

Old 05-27-2010, 07:32 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
alert alert - keep in mind i was writing while half asleep.................... (that's not a wink - that's "half asleep" - not much better tonight)

no no - i've been camping out IN North Carolina for a while - actually, in down east/somewhat coastal carolina in a little town that............well, can be cute but......let us say i just need to be out of here......and after the not-so-hospitable encounter the other day, it has felt like confirmation.

i mentioned asheville because there is a meetup there called "women in community" - i went to one of the meetings pre-meet up group and have met some of the people - i follow the meetup on line/belong to it but have just been reading on it - there are a lot of people into the intentional community/co-housing effort in asheville but my comment was that it tends to be pretty lockstep in worldview - very organic/very green/very veggie/very asheville - no problem with that but i do eat cows and pigs along with veggies and i think that could be frowned on . (i do not eat my dog - we are very close and have agreed never to feed on each other, no matter how bad the economy becomes-i trust me/him, i'm not so sure of)

however, i shall be traipsing around that area here shortly - in fact, i "lent" my furniture to a friend in highlands, nc (western n.c. right at the georgia line-about an hour south of asheville and near franklin/sylva/etc)- sometime in the next few weeks, i'll be up there visiting and on my way, i'll take the 74/76 corridor and re-explore some of the towns like hendersonville (i think that's the name/maybe blowing rock/flatrock/waynesville/weaverville - i'm occasionally mixing up virginia and nc which is a problem when you have moved as much as i have in the last 10 years)

kind of cool - i had an old buddy from high school ask if i will house sit for them in charlotte for much of july so that will provide me some more time to explore areas - exciting - and then, i'll likely do some other traipsings.

i did do some calling to compare virginia to nc to florida on my auto insurance and renters insurance - WOW - that was an eye opener!!!! if i were to return to sarasota, my auto insurance would be about 500.00 more a year......USAA won't even write homeowners/renters in florida which really shouldn't have surprised me because i thought i encountered that back when i owned a house down there....however, the insurance idfference was surprising - virginia and nc were comparable for both auto and renters

when you consider the cost of bringing a car into florida as well as the increased tag fees, hmmmmmm, i am starting to reconsider keeping florida in the mix - however, i will visit and likely that will be an exploit for the fall. if virginia/carolina get a winter like last year (and they shouldn't - that was insane), i will most assuredly not spend the winter in either. however, be it noted that even southwest florida had an awful winter - gray and cold for far longer than it ever should be - so much for the sunshine state - i am seriously thinking i need to have three different places to live - one to escape the cold, one to escape the heat and humidity and then one to tuck in when i want to meander down the sidewalks and enjoy the sights and sounds of a little southern city or charming town.......i may have the escape from cold place nailed down and the escape from heat and humidity too, but the charming little bungalow in the land of oz...........that's what all my traipsing shall reveal perhaps.

so, tricia, who will not be outdone by trolls and other mean spirits, will be cruising around carolina/virginia/maybe tennessee/georgia/south carolina/and florida in the months ahead. i shall post as the adventure proceeds! creating a little travel mobile in my van anyone who wants to meet up , give me a shout out and we'll start to form the greater community of the southern girls (transplants and natives) who don't sweat but merely glisten (yeah sure.............) - wisteria and nancy are organizing the west coast - ladies, it's time to organize the east or they'll think we're lazy slackers who are always "a-fixin to do" but t'aint doin' it.

(i also talk northern virginian real good which means i can do double talk and confuse any beltway bandit!)

ok trosa and dolphin, where you in carolinah????????? (trosa, glad i tickle your funny bone)

Old 05-27-2010, 08:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Well, Tricia, you are droll and a fine writer, to boot, and I, personally, look forward to your further adventures in Western NC--and beyond. Your discoveries will enrich us--and who knows, attract us to form the uber-community of kindred spirits? But an intentional community? Not for moi--I hate process and meetings..that just holds little appeal to me...would rather live in a yurt around a campfire and drumming circle. Separate but equal.

I know what you mean about having several places to live...the ocean calls to me and then the mountains and high places and the hard wood forests do, too. Especially in the summer, for I am not drawn to high humidity, though the warm tropical nights are quite soft and those I like...much like the tropics when the sea winds doth blow...

Gemini, you know? Need two habitats to please both personnas...I'm trying to figure out a way for a woman of slender means (but very rich in spirit) to live in two places...

I live in a little seaport town called Beaufort (pray tell this isn't where your strange and unpleasant encounter took place?) I like it very much and have made some dear friends...but then those mountains send out their siren call and I must answer. Possibly a month in the high places of NC this Fall is in the cards...I'm plotting and planning and casting the stones...

North Carolina has soothed me in many ways...the courtesy and kindness is sweet to experience. And people love books and literature here...

Yes, I know what you mean about Asheville...in some ways it can remind one of Berkeley, CA and that one world view can be stultifying...give me divergent viewpoints to discuss, debate and gestate...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Tricia,

Presently, I'm residing in Greenville, NC. moved here at the urging of my daughter, but I need to get out of this town. I will miss the people I go on camping trips with, but I hope to find a similar group if and when I find a new destination closer to the ocean. Sarasota is on my list, but I tell ya after reading Wisteria's description of Santa Cruz and the lifestyle, that area sounds so tempting. But then, I've said it before, I may stay put and just take long trips to various areas, when possible.

I will be a campin this weekend. My group has been invited to camp at the, Cool Springs Environmental Center, in New Bern. Never been there, but it's about 30 + people from the group that will be attending should be fun. Easter weekend, we had a group of about 25 at Falls Lake in Duram. That was my favorite camping trip to date. Could do without some of the drama, but still lots of wonderful company.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
hang in there, avalon - it always seems a monkey wrench has to get thrown into the mix. I think it is actually a brain exercise to keep us actively problem solving (ok, that's a stretch but i always look for the upside in the tragedies of life).

A rule of thumb whenever a complaint is made.
One complaint or compliment when conveyed will always be multiplied at least ten fold from the truth'
If it's a complaint, it usually is more.
Seems to be a characteristic of human nature.
So there was likely one person who said "someone has a dog that barks" (not too unusual/most dogs do not meow.........)

hope the situation resolves itself -
i don't have time to do the anagram thing or whatever they are called but i think if you take the words "home owners association", "condo" and "rules" , you would likely find the words "hell", "purgatory", "demons", "minions" and "satan" -
I'll try it later and see what happens
(as you can guess, I have lived in condos & neighborhoods with 100 plus pages of covenants; deeded communities in florida/home of the yard facists and other kumquats; and been an HOA president in northern virginia where property values are fiercely protected and everyone thinks their neighbor is the problem)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement