Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 05:56 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I'll handle the heat by getting in the ocean or a pool.

I've lived in Florida twice before, the heat can be quite daunting, but for me, not enough to keep me from returning to that place.
oh oh - i did miss a lot here over the past few days - You're moving to SARASOTA?????
that's where i was in florida when i packed up an insane amount of stuff and left - still have some things sitting south of there on don pedro island......

keep me posted on your monkey wrenches etc......i intend at some point to take a few weeks and escape that way. and you're right - you can survive the heat - i don't like the prolonged sunshine and lack of seasons - need an occasional raining blustery day but i can find those - but i love the gulf, i love the white sands of siesta key and the water so warm you don't need a towel when you come out . we will meet up there for sure and i'll take you over to DPI and we'll find sharks teeth - just loves to fill bottles with sharks teeth - has that scarry feeling of what exactly is in the water - just so it's not OIL!!!

and on the heat - after this summer so far with the east coast absolutely sweltering, i have to say that at least sarasota is the naturally-airconditioned city with the soft breezes that generally move the sweltering air.....

Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM

62 posts, read 97,609 times
Default Maine or California

[quote=Tesaje;15060968]Flyingsccot, have you thought about trying up the hill aways near Sacramento? Get up high enough and there are 4 seasons in central CA. lots of snow, too.

Hi,
Yes I have considered Placerville, Paradise, Pollock Pines all places that are so much more me than Sacramento. I was all set to make an offer on a very reasonably priced mobile home in Pollock Pines but due to delays (just getting information about monthly space rent/HOA dues is like pulling teeth--so few Realtors include this in the listing and I feel it is an important factor in your monthly budget) another offer was accepted.
I have seen another one in Sacramento about 15 minutes from my daughter which would be more practical in terms of being able to help out with my little grandson he is 2 1/2 (Pollock Pines is at least 1hrs drive from Sacramento) In a couple of years he will be in preschool/school and being "just around the corner" may not be as important. Of course as we all know things can change in an instant--right now my daughter is in culinary school and living with her 81 year old grandmother--her husband lives(with family)and works in San Francisco--not the ideal situation but with the ecomomic climate it was the best paying job he could get and as they are both living practically rent free it helps them save for the future.
I enjoy reading the posts because I am always learning something and being inspired by the posters overcoming all the challenges that many of us face.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 AM

Default Maine vs California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
Why Maine? Where in Maine? Have you spent any time there, all seasons?

Just curious, as Sacramento is vastly different from Maine.
Hi,
I visited Maine several times(Winter and Summer) when I lived in NYC(before entering the Army)I love the four seasons and am the polar opposite of someone who is affected by SAD--constant days of high temperatures etc depress me it must be my Celtic blood. People here in the UK are always apologizing to me for the awful weather and cannot fathom why I love the mist and rain here and really doubt my sanity for preferring Scottish weather to the weather in California I have always loved dramatic weather-thunder and lightning.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Default Maine vs California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
Why Maine? Where in Maine? Have you spent any time there, all seasons?

Just curious, as Sacramento is vastly different from Maine.
Hi Again,
This is the continuation of the above reply--hit the wrong button I do realize that Maine and California are so different and there are pros and cons about both places. I would miss the wonderful growing season of the inland valley of California as I am an avid organic gardener and Maine is in such a different growing zone. Utility bills-- air conditioning in California vs heating cost in Maine.
I guess it all comes down to moving to California and what i can afford there--probably a mobile home or condo and moving somewhere else like Maine where I can afford a small home with garden (essential because I must have a dog--it has been too long without one)and living with a small mortgage or ideally mortgage free. Both decisions come with sacrifices--moving to be near family knowing full well that they too may up and move(they have their own lives)or going for somewhere far away. but I do know that I have to get going on this-too much stagnation since my mum died and it will be such a relief to make a decison. Thanks for all the words of advice

Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Latishia, you sure are picking a nasty hot time to come south. i guess this hot, hot humid summer just reminds me why I want to move west.
It's LATASHIA.....lol....I guess I opened myself up for that one...

Anyway, this summer here in terms of heat and humidity beats all, and I grew up here and also have lived in the hot humid Midwest. I have dramatically changed my mind about the South, also just found out that my son in the South (NC) wants to move back to Oregon--no not Portland, but Eugene. He has one more year of school and then he'll move. Really, this heat is oppressive. The only way I can stand it is to take a walk outdoors. As soon as I sit down I;m wasted.

TJ, how's the heat in NC??

I didn't realize till this summer how much weather can affect a person. That said, with the crazy climate changes we have to be able to adapt to anything in a good frame of mind, so I'm not complaining as long as I wake up in the morning~~

Last edited by RiverBird; 07-16-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
Hi Again,
This is the continuation of the above reply--hit the wrong button I do realize that Maine and California are so different and there are pros and cons about both places. I would miss the wonderful growing season of the inland valley of California as I am an avid organic gardener and Maine is in such a different growing zone. Utility bills-- air conditioning in California vs heating cost in Maine.
I guess it all comes down to moving to California and what i can afford there--probably a mobile home or condo and moving somewhere else like Maine where I can afford a small home with garden (essential because I must have a dog--it has been too long without one)and living with a small mortgage or ideally mortgage free. Both decisions come with sacrifices--moving to be near family knowing full well that they too may up and move(they have their own lives)or going for somewhere far away. but I do know that I have to get going on this-too much stagnation since my mum died and it will be such a relief to make a decison. Thanks for all the words of advice
I've been going with my daughter on trips to Maine as she and her guy plan to move there. We;ve been in many, many towns and small cities along the coast and more inland and everywehre we went we ran into farmers' markets with young couples doing organic produce and dairy and beef. They are carrying out the big dream of the boomers. We got into many wonderful conversations with these young gardeners/farmers. Please do consider Maine on that front!!

PS - I just read your post about your daughter being in CA and a grandchild....so there really is no choice, is there??? (:

Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
oh no! i thought i did, sweet rosa! (wish you a safe trip - i know i said sumthin! )

i did laugh when you described where you would be going, who you would stay with - we did some similar escapades and i'm still somewhat laughing with a "what was i thinking????????" i've decided that staying with anyone you have been married to in the past provides a great lesson - you remember why you fell in love with them....and then you remember why you love being single.....
Thank you bunches TriciaJeanne, it means a lot.

Now as far as the ex, H _ L _ to the no I wasn't talking about my ex-husband, that's a path I wouldn't ever walk near again. Even though he does have a twin that lives in Flordia. I remain friends or at least on good terms with several of my ex-guy friends that I was in a relationships with. The one in Florida is the only one I've actually gone out of my way to visit and we know why that is. The Beach, no not me the B i o c h i, but, for the glorious beach. And I'll have to tell you how that convo went, when I had to reiterate to him that I was not there to rekindle. Thought I made it clear before I went. Yes I new better, The time spent was worth every moment. We're still friends. Probably a good thing my moving plans changed to Sarasota. Like I've said before, I'm more interested in being in the company of just good friends, I could care less about finding romantic relationships. Too much of a headache. Give me my pals some great conversation, fun things to do ever so often and I'm good to go. Of course I still like to ogle the boys, but loving them from a distance is good enough. Now where's my photo album of Brad Pitt.

Now if all goes as I hope and I really end up in Sarasota, I'm going to hold you to what you said about coming out and taking me shark tooth hunting. As long as those teeth are detached. No telling with this bunch of ladies.

When I was in Hollywood Fl, the soft breezes coming off the ocean were to die for. What I liked about the beach area there was what they called the broadwalk, wear they had a designated walking area, eating areas, biking area that was seperated as well and then to top it off, a free concert every evening. And the people watching, was so fun. Plus, everyone I met was extremely friendly and most people were helpful.

Oh something so funny, my friend doesn't do beaches, and I was happy for the time alone. He'd come home from lunch take me to the beach, pick me up after he got off from work. He's very urban, though his family did take him beaching some where in Jersey during the summers when he was younger. He would have spent time with me at the beach if I really wanted that, but I didn't push. It was win, win in my opinion.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
You are so sweet and have given us so much useful information. Hoping you are having a good summer!!
Ha! One of our ladies has a new name - guess who? Seems I have started a craze. I sure hope I can talk about this - I gave up on another thread - refuse to salute.

Why popcorn?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
OMG!! This is exactly what I meant!! I don't know WHO is Popcorn247??????

Montana, Montana, who's on their way to Montana???? I can't remember!! Help!!!

So, who IS Popcorn247?? I'm going to have to start making a list of new names!!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:45 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Hint - Lives in FL; has two weinerschnizel dogs and loves plants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.