Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,047 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in MN, after being an eastcoaster and westcoaster. Have been checking in on this thread from time to time, as it is interesting.

I wrote in to the Mexico forum to ask if anyone had ideas or experience in living in Mexico for retirement. I have been to Mexicali several times, for extended periods. Other than names of large border cities, no one wrote in.

Does anyone know anything about doing this as a US citizen? I imagine you would have to live in a border town to come back to the US for medicare, etc.

I would never do it without specific advice, as being single and female in one's own country can make you a mark for exploitation.

Another question - has anyone grown up on one coast, lived for most of their adult years on the other and then returned to the Former? I know you "can't go home again" and wouldn't try, was just wondering what it's like.

I enjoy the kindness of midwesterners. The big surprise here was the almost suspect attitude towards someone not from here who moved here without family. I was priced out of the CA rental market, along with thousands of others and was surprised that others would be surprised. I also live alone.

I will always miss MA because it seems like people there are more concerned with life outside of their little bubble. Relative to CA (southern, inland), I was liberal but I don't know about relative to MA. My remaining family is in NH, which I continue to not just conservative - kind of uncaring. Lots of natural beauty, though.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post

I wrote in to the Mexico forum to ask if anyone had ideas or experience in living in Mexico for retirement. I have been to Mexicali several times, for extended periods. Other than names of large border cities, no one wrote in.

Does anyone know anything about doing this as a US citizen? I imagine you would have to live in a border town to come back to the US for medicare, etc.
Localinsight..... i just read this on the New Mexico forum about retiring in Mexico by a poster (tecpatl).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...nt-town-3.html

Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
I have a friend who just bought a casita in Mexico. It's wonderfully charming and she got it for a song. She's going to rent it out until she's ready to retire there full-time. She's single and she tells me there are lots of American expats (including single women) living there and lots to do. She's very excited about it-- and she's a lifelong New Yorker. She loves it because she can walk everywhere, without needing a car-- which she's never had!

As for the coast-to-coast thing, I did that. Grew up in the South, lived on the East Coast in my 20s, then moved to the West Coast for a decade (and then some!), then returned East. It's an adjustment. I'll never stop missing CA, but there comes a time to go. I guess you just have to appreciate where you are. There's something to love about wherever you go. Quality of life makes up for so much. Good luck!

Last edited by goodbyehollywood; 10-22-2007 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 PM

16 posts, read 57,889 times
I'm in my late 40's and single. I recently moved to Denver from San Diego to be closer to friends and family, but have since learned that this may not be the final nesting place. I lived here before, and feel done. I do like my job teaching for now but to methe landscape is not very nice, and it's just too dry. I actually like some humidity as it makes me feel calmer and more lifelike. I feel morphed in this ultra dry air. But I am always searching for the right place, and have yet to find it.
I lived in Washington, DC, grew up in North Carolina, then Denver and San Diego. Also lived in New jersey during high school. I'm just too restless!
I have learned that I like some sophistication... but don't like the small art towns like Santa Fe or Boulder because they are too expensive and after a while, they feel small. I liked Greensboro, NC when I visited, felt a connection, but worry it is too retrogressive and old-school. Places like Portland Maine intrigue me, but I've never been there and it's far from anyone I know.
I'd like to find a place where there is some real culture, open attitudes and where people are open to alternative health... I'm an acupuncturist. Suggestions are welcomed

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Going to be 51, and originally from the cold midwest, living in the south now and can't afford to stay here, and want something new. Also looking for an affordable lifestyle. Being alone means living in a cheaper area for retirement costs. Interested in meeting wonderful people to do things with also, and if a man comes along........I won't complain MUCH! LOL.

I started on the west coast researching, ended up on the east coast, to the middle US, back to the west coast but also including CO, and a neat visit there. This would be a place I COULD DEFINITELY LIVE along with OR, and WA, CA but who can afford these places on a limited income, or budget ha?

Back to TN, and KY now........Next month I may be somewhere different, but I know I am learning alot.........LOL.

Have been on TN, and KY a while now maybe these area will be the ticket. LOL. The hardest thing is to find places w/o jobs long distance, and also finding a job......at my age I still have to work.

If you guys find something neat, and reasonable please give out your secret place.

Maybe we should get a map, blindfold ourselves, spin around and pick a spot.
When I first got married years ago, I met a girl whose husband was in the military that had worked her way across Canada. There are jobs like that out there. Probably a temp service or a head hunter would have information about jobs like this. We know another person who gets paid for driving campers across the country. I want a job with my husband doing hotel and motel quality control. I guess we need to be careful in looking for jobs like these to make sure they are on the "up and up."

Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 PM

11 posts, read 45,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucandoit View Post
This is a great thread because I too am looking for something to retire in.......Right now TN and KY are in the running. I am also in my 50's single/no children. I am also for the social connectedness, and wouldn't mind the abundance of single men either.......lol

Maybe we could find a builder and live in our own subdivision!
Central ky(Lexington) is a great place to live. I just had some folks move from Oregon and they really seem to love the change of seasons with the low cost of living. Not to mention your centrally located to the east coast if you really like to travel.

University of Kentucky also I believe has a program that is discounted for seniors.

Also Lexington per capital is highly educated. They average person here has a degree. Plus the Doctor to person ratio is very high. Somewhat comperable to Raleigh Durham NC.

Hope this helps,

Old 11-12-2007, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 13,530 times
Thanks so much for all of these posts! New to this site and considering moving to Asheville. But these thoughts on Knoxville are shedding new light! Born in N.C. and just feel that is my 'home' everytime I visit - Florida has lost its paradise effect on me. I am also single 59 yr old w/small dog and desire to be in an active environment so I can continue to grow/not just grow old! Any thoughts on what steps to take in relocating? I plan to start taking extended trips to check out rental housing/part time job opportunities but don't really know what agencies/companies to contact. Any thoughts? Are there really commune-type living arrangements around that allow you to still have your own private place but share meals and chores?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 13,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria
I am also retiring to a different location, I'm divorced, 63 years young, with two dogs that are attached to my hips.
I am right now a person who has not let many get too close. They tried to go much too fast for me. I have chosen Osceola, MO. I want to live where there are young and seasoned people. I have not yet decided when I'm going I do know it will be in February.
I just need to live a life that I missed out on when I was young. And I need to move from the hurt here. I have COPD, so up here Colorado Springs, Colorado, I am at 7000 foot above sea level. My reason for Missouri, I would spend some summer days with my grandparents, In Princeton and in Unionville. Loved every minute of it. The people are so pleasant there. I can hardly wait.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:41 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Best of luck to you. It sounds wonderful. How lucky to have grandparents. WOW

Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria
I retired fairly young and divorced at 55. When I first started to attend things I noticed a lot of retirees were much older than I was but then I found out that because they were still doing the things I liked to do, the age difference was nonexistent. So, for example, if you enjoy hiking and you are 59 and someone is able to hike right along with you at 69, 79 or even 89, the age won't matter. I, for example, am 56 and out of shape and could not keep up with you but I know some people in their 70's and 80's that could. Who would you rather be hiking with? Me, who is closer to your age but who'd be huffing and puffing and who would want to rest every few minutes or someone who is 70 but could keep up and allow you to enjoy one of your favorite activities? The hiking clubs aren't going to have people like me in them.

I like to take classes and people in some of my classes are in their mid-80s, but they also happen to be former scientists and engineers, still keep up with the latest news in their field, and ask intriguing questions in class. My guess is that if they had become feeble-minded 85 year olds they wouldn't still be attending science classes, just like people who were no longer able to garden wouldn't be in a gardening club, people physically unable to bowl wouldn't be in a bowling league, people who could no longer read wouldn't be in a book discussion group, people with not enough lung power wouldn't be in the brass section of the community band, etc.

I say pick your specific activities based on what you like to do and those with the same physical/mental abilities will be the people you find there regardless of age. Just stay away from the general "let's keep them busy/alert/active" centers and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement