Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 05:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I am in deep, deep south Florida...about 30 miles south of Miami. I've been here for 38 years. It is too chaotic down here. Heck, even Iowa sounds good to me! I just need to get up the nerve to make such a change. I have at least two years before retirement.
It does sound like you need a change! What is chaotic there?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I would like a location with low humidity. I am a horticulturist, so a gardening area is a must. I love growing my own flowers.
Colorado!! I also want a little cottage with lots of flowers but I want a 2 BR 2 bth. I'm sure you could teach me a lot. Just watched a documentary on the Everglades - you must be near there.

What I really want is a New England style cottage in CO - not going to happen.

Dancin - good to see you stop by. Don't burn your house down with those kilns!!!

It's hot & humid here - then at night there's that feeling of fall. I really don't want to complain about the heat because (drum roll) I know what's coming.

Let me tell you about a dream I had the other night:

I was moved to CO and had a meetup with the ladies from this thread. There were so many that I had a 8 person tent set up in the back yard.

Sidebar: I just ordered a Coleman tent - 8 person - to store garage stuff in due to some work I have to have done in the garage and the tent is cheaper than storing it elsewhere. I figure I can always sell the tent but after this dream I may keep it.

OK - the ladies in the tent were so rowdy that there was a knock at my door and low & behold it was the police to tell us to quiet down.

Now I digress: earlier we had kidnapped Livecontent - yes we did - kicking & screaming all the way. So, when the policeman came to the door LC squealed on us about kidnapping him. The policeman just laughed and said he could file a report but he should be grateful to be with so many delightful women. Well, LC was going to do it anyway (file a complaint - can you believe it??????????) but no one would give him a ride to the police station.

Then - the phone rang and Lenora decided to come at the last minute and so we had to pick her up at the airport. Well, we all had consumed too many adult beverges to drive so the policeman gave NewEnglandGirl & I a ride to the airport to pick her up.

Dream ends here - my dog jumped n my stomach - I guess everyone is still there - LC is still mad - but I think I may keep that tent. Too weird~~~~~~~

Last edited by Umbria; 07-31-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Yep, I am the type of man woman dream about--in a nightmare.

Ha, I have to admit that there are great woman on this forum. Yes, I have fallen "in like" with them because they have "meat on their personalities" and they can tell me off when I am wrong. I like strong woman--as long as they stay away from me.

I am Bachelor, never been married. Not really by choice as nobody really wanted me--ah, but at times they wanted my money, because they thought I had money.

I have little money but the wealth I have is in freedom from want, need, desire and a bossy woman. That is the list of the Four Freedoms of an independent, certified, confirmed Bachelor. (Thank you President Wilson for the idea).

Livecontent

Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

Dancin - good to see you stop by. Don't burn your house down with those kilns!!!
Thanks. Not to worry...necessary precautions have been taken. I love the dream...too funny.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Quote:
Colorado!! I also want a little cottage with lots of flowers but I want a 2 BR 2 bth. I'm sure you could teach me a lot. Just watched a documentary on the Everglades - you must be near there.

It's hot & humid here - then at night there's that feeling of fall. I really don't want to complain about the heat because (drum roll) I know what's coming.

I was moved to CO and had a meetup with the ladies from this thread. There were so many that I had a 8 person tent set up in the back yard.

Sidebar: I just ordered a Coleman tent - 8 person - to store garage stuff in due to some work I have to have done in the garage and the tent is cheaper than storing it elsewhere. I figure I can always sell the tent but after this dream I may keep it.

OK - the ladies in the tent were so rowdy that there was a knock at my door and low & behold it was the police to tell us to quiet down.

Now I digress: earlier we had kidnapped Livecontent - yes we did - kicking & screaming all the way. So, when the policeman came to the door LC squealed on us about kidnapping him. The policeman just laughed and said he could file a report but he should be grateful to be with so many delightful women. Well, LC was going to do it anyway (file a complaint - can you believe it??????????) but no one would give him a ride to the police station.

Then - the phone rang and Lenora decided to come at the last minute and so we had to pick her up at the airport. Well, we all had consumed too many adult beverges to drive so the policeman gave NewEnglandGirl & I a ride to the airport to pick her up.

Dream ends here - my dog jumped n my stomach - I guess everyone is still there - LC is still mad - but I think I may keep that tent. Too weird~~~~~~~
Ha ha ha. I like your dream. I do live near the Everglades. I can be there in about 20 minutes from my house. I love hiking down there, especially in the pinelands. Lots of wildflowers and a great plant diversity. I do most of the hiking between November and April. Other months it is too hot, buggy and flooded. I love hiking!!

With all the good hints and information that Livecontent has made available, I am also leaning towards Colorado. He is very wise and has a lot of common sense. I hope to re-visit the state soon. There is even a botanical garden in Denver! DBG! I really liked Wyoming during my visit last summer, but it might not be the best place to retire. At least by moving to the Denver area, I could easily visit Wyoming at any time.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:

Wow, that's impressive. Indeed, I am not only the world's greatest procrastinator, I am extremely impulsive. So, when are all of us going to really meet up? Y'all can remind me the morning of the scheduled event.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 AM

205 posts, read 397,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
South west Scotland at 1.10pm a balmy 64 degrees with 45% humidity. I have not posted in ages as I am still undecided whether to go back to northern California where my only daughter and grandchild lives or to somewhere like Maine that reminds me so much of where I was born. My own mother chose not to move to California when my daughter was born almost 29 years ago--a decision at the time I was hurt and frustrated with but now I am about the same age I understand the dilemma she faced. How do other people handle this dilemma as time is definately not standing still and a major move can be daunting.
Flying Scott: First, hello. Haven't posted in quite some time but always "check in" to see how everyone is doing and how many newbies there are. I fully understand your dilemma. I was sort of adrift for a long time and when it was time to make the move my choices were leaving where I am for a whole new location/state or buy my first house in many, many years. I was looking at both and ended up buying my perfect townhome. Good choice but now two years later, as life has it, now thinking of the "future." My kids could not be further apart - son in Oakland, CA and daughter in Annapolis, MD. If you placed a ruler on a map they are directly opposite of each other. And me? I'm in FL. And where I am is really becoming a cultural and intellectual desert. Not that I am unhappy here - just miss my kids. And my son is ready to pack up the moving truck and move me out to CA. And my daughter thinks I could move to MD. So am now looking ahead, again. I would love to move to northern CA but it is so cost prohibitive. And I love the Annapolis/Baltimore area - so close to DC and NYC - and the water. And, P.S. my mother is from Scotland (Renfrew)!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Wow, that's impressive. Indeed, I am not only the world's greatest procrastinator, I am extremely impulsive. So, when are all of us going to really meet up? Y'all can remind me the morning of the scheduled event.
You won't need any reminding--we're secretly arranging to show up early some morning at your door demanding coffee and blueberry pancakes! We will sing for our breakfast!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 AM

205 posts, read 397,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Not weird thinking at all - I have pondered this again and again, sometimes being reduced to thinking I am way too utopian in my thinking.

For me, I love the idea of little cottages in proximity with an "interdependence" factor - privacy and independence along with that "being there" for each other in whatever capacity that entails. Not the continuem of care communities one sees that are stair steps to essentially nursing homes but community/being a good neighbor, cohort, friend. I've sketched ideas for connected homes that could reduce costs with shared land, walls, etc but it seems just a dream. As I've moved a great deal, I've learned that in regard to space, I want very little - it's more the feel of something that I desire. The essence of place....a cozy little spot with lots of light and access to the outside.....trees....greenery.....water....nice people.....ok, utopia is seeping in...............................

What I've observed on most of the communities I have read on is:

the cost is high - many of us cannot handle 200 thousand plus and a community fee monthly (like a condo) on top of that. I haven't seen anything off hand that involved less than 100K. Not sure I've seen anything less than 200K.

there is often a need for "group think" (a commitment to a particular ideology or mind set or way of eating or whatever) which is not to say that is totally bad - values are great - like-mindedness is wonderful - but I don't fit into any particular mindset 100% and likely am too laid back in a lot of areas to not **** someone off by it.

location - to keep costs down, some places are set in areas where I wouldn't want to live, whether in a group or solo. I want walkability, a sense of place in the area itself, view sheds, proximity to the world.

This is a top of the head, uncoffee-d, likely too little sleep and " too much on my mind for the demands of the day" answer. I probably wouldn't want to share housing with myself this morning. LOL....but i might like to be my next-door neighbor. Mr Rodgers....where are you?????
If this were a FB posting I'd say "Like!" I too am uncoffee-d and too much on my mind for any kind of demands of the intellectual/thinking nature - though I slept okay. Life just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Flying Scott: First, hello. Haven't posted in quite some time but always "check in" to see how everyone is doing and how many newbies there are. I fully understand your dilemma. I was sort of adrift for a long time and when it was time to make the move my choices were leaving where I am for a whole new location/state or buy my first house in many, many years. I was looking at both and ended up buying my perfect townhome. Good choice but now two years later, as life has it, now thinking of the "future." My kids could not be further apart - son in Oakland, CA and daughter in Annapolis, MD. If you placed a ruler on a map they are directly opposite of each other. And me? I'm in FL. And where I am is really becoming a cultural and intellectual desert. Not that I am unhappy here - just miss my kids. And my son is ready to pack up the moving truck and move me out to CA. And my daughter thinks I could move to MD. So am now looking ahead, again. I would love to move to northern CA but it is so cost prohibitive. And I love the Annapolis/Baltimore area - so close to DC and NYC - and the water. And, P.S. my mother is from Scotland (Renfrew)!
I must have psychic powers, just yesterday I was thinking about you and wondered at your not posting in a long time. I remember how happy you were to find your perfect place in Fla. I'm finding that some boomers are restless and want to be on the move, oftentimes closer to their kids and grandkids. I question the whole thing of owning a home now. Maybe you could find a 6-month rental in both places--CA in the winter and MD in the summer . To do this you'd really have to pare down your possessions. But a studio apt in each place would probably be affordable. I do understand not wanting to be that far from family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement