Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 04:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

For all those thinking of moving, in regard to retirement living costs--Kiplingers has put out its 2011 "tax havens and hells, by state" (published this past June):

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

I echo the welcome to tngirl205~~~

Old 09-05-2011, 04:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Very interesting history, and the Wabash tradition is so cool.

Since my wish was once, many years ago, to go to post-grad in Bloomington, I'm wondering what you know about that city, and also South Bend (home of Notre Dame). Are these two much bigger that Lafayette? Is there any way to compare them? (I tried to find info on the Indiana forum but couldn't find the comparisons I was looking for).
I looked up on Google....Bloomington, IN has 80,000, Lafayette population is 67,000. I am not familiar with South Bend....did not Google it, sorry.

You need to watch the movie: Breaking Away. It takes place in Bloomington and the surrounding area. All about the 'cutters' and the college students. It is a wonderful (imo) movie with gorgeous scenery and wonderful music. Southern Indiana is beautiful. Limestone used to build many of the buildings in Washington, D.C. was 'cut' from the area around Bloomington. The folks there have a lot of pride over this. Both IU and PU are wonderful universities. I really haven't spent much time in Bloomington and maybe just past by South Bend with my folks many years ago.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
For all those thinking of moving, in regard to retirement living costs--Kiplingers has put out its 2011 "tax havens and hells, by state" (published this past June):

Great link, thanks!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I looked up on Google....Bloomington, IN has 80,000, Lafayette population is 67,000. I am not familiar with South Bend....did not Google it, sorry.

You need to watch the movie: Breaking Away. It takes place in Bloomington and the surrounding area. All about the 'cutters' and the college students. It is a wonderful (imo) movie with gorgeous scenery and wonderful music. Southern Indiana is beautiful. Limestone used to build many of the buildings in Washington, D.C. was 'cut' from the area around Bloomington. The folks there have a lot of pride over this. Both IU and PU are wonderful universities. I really haven't spent much time in Bloomington and maybe just past by South Bend with my folks many years ago.
Popcorn, are you retired and thinking of moving back to Lafayette? Do you know how the different neighborhoods have fared (crime, property values etc) since you were last there? The reason I ask is that my former client (really a cool friend) who is moving there may ask what I know (of course I'm sure she'll find a realtor)...and I'm personally curious too... Would housing around Purdue be on the noisy side?

Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 PM

379 posts, read 533,635 times
Thank you newenglandgirl for the welcome. I'm looking forward to adding my two cents now and then!

Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Popcorn, are you retired and thinking of moving back to Lafayette? Do you know how the different neighborhoods have fared (crime, property values etc) since you were last there? The reason I ask is that my former client (really a cool friend) who is moving there may ask what I know (of course I'm sure she'll find a realtor)...and I'm personally curious too... Would housing around Purdue be on the noisy side?
No, I am just 60, so I am not yet retired. I just like to plan ahead. I haven't been back since 1979, so I am not knowledgeable about crime or property values. The best way to find these things out would be a visit to the area. Shook Realty has been in business for many years. There are many links on Lafayette's web site. Perhaps this could be a lead to check things out. Purdue is a large campus with many students. Life nearby is affected by home football games, etc. but some people love this! I am sure there would be housing further away from the actual campus where life would be more peaceful. I do keep in touch with people who live in Laf. Many are Facebook friends and post regularly.

I am definately considering retiring in Lafayette....vibrant population, good public transportation, university and the benefits of the culture, the history, the natural areas nearby, the fact that it is in the middle of the US and travel to other areas would be easier than where I am now.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:

Welcome to tngirl205!!

Great link - why am I not surprised to see MN as one of the nightmare states?

Old 09-05-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I looked up on Google....Bloomington, IN has 80,000, Lafayette population is 67,000.
I'm surprised, thought it would be the other way around--that Bloomington was a much smaller town, and Lafayette a much bigger city. I think we all need to think about medical care facilities and senior center that provide van transport. I could not believe hearing on the news that 9/11 was ten years ago. I nearly fell out of my chair. How did the years pass so fast???

Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Default Thanks

Quote:

Wonderful link!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 PM

379 posts, read 533,635 times
Default thanks for the welcomes!

Umbria, thank you for the welcome. You are all very warm people.

Dancingearth, thank you also! I agree that the PNW is truly beautiful; I so miss all the evergreens. I could handle the cold and rain more than this humidity in TN. I do have a sister in Montesano that is considering moving near her daughter in Kamiah, ID (very small town), but they are financially not in a position to make a move; they also have health issues.

SCBaker, thank you for your welcome as well. I agree that there is a lot of support on this forum. I think I am looking to connect with people that share many of my same thoughts about the future. And I think I just need a little moral support as I go through this trying and uncertain time with my husband. Our motto is "one day at a time," but I am always thinking about the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement