Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 11:08 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,226 times

Advertisements

sooooo......retirement looming.....those of you that are trampling the grass ahead of me....keep tramplin!!!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
sooooo......retirement looming.....those of you that are trampling the grass ahead of me....keep tramplin!!!
Thank Umbria, she is the resident 'Lawn Maint person' http://www.city-data.com/forum/21619430-post4961.html (and loving it... if I'm not mistaken)

She is probably stomping through SNOW a few feet deep by now (or in near future). That will not happen to me when I move to MSP to 'retire' senior living, Becketwood Cooperative Home (Indoor / underground Garage for the few times you need to drive rather than take the transit / bicycle / community owned bus)

I am not laughing. Very heavy rain falling, (I can hear the leaves rustling into piles on the porch in the strong wind). Snow for me by Wednesday. Freezing rain usually not till ~Dec 15 (that is really FUN... NOT)

I might be looking for a place with less grass to stomp (I have to mow 2x / week in Fall and Spring, grass grows ~ 6" / week in the rainy Pacific Northwe_t.) Silage might be good to learn to eat... worked great for my cows when I grew up @ 'Dairy Farm Boarding School'. (From the size of me, I might have the FOUR stomachs needed to digest wet grass)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-13-2011 at 02:27 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I might be looking for a place with less grass to stomp (I have to mow 2x / week in Fall and Spring, grass grows ~ 6" / week in the rainy Pacific Northwe_t.) Silage might be good to learn to eat... worked great for my cows when I grew up @ 'Dairy Farm Boarding School"
Less grass = good, but to me, no grass= sad

Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Default Apartment finder

This apartment finder could be of help - it shows apt. rentals on an actual map. type in the zip code and rent range you want and see what comes up.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Anything else like this you know of?

Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Thought I'd take the opportunity to post on page 500.

First, I'd like to ask TRosa to post - I miss her great sense of humor.

Second, I'm still uncertain as to where I should retire, other than the 2 or 3 pleasant summer months in NH. Circumstances have changed since my initial post several years ago. Having recently been diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment, amnestic type (memory), it looks like I have a significant risk of developing Alzheimer's, although of course, it's not a certainty. I have decided I need to continue paying my LTC premiums (that's a shocker ) but I haven't been able to figure out what other plans I should have in place. I figure the big two are finances and where and when I should fully retire. I can deal with the finances, but the when and where of full retirement is difficult. I visit my elderly father at least once a week and expect the frequency of visits to increase as he ages. So, I'm not quite ready to move on. OTOH, I'm wondering if I need to begin establishing my place in a community where I may need to settle permanently. Meh.

Anyway, I'm not worried, yet. It is, however, another factor I may need to take into consideration before finalizing my plans. Life sure has its twists and turns, eh?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Hi Lenora: If you don't mind, could you share a little more about this diagnosis and how you came about getting to a doctor, and which kind of doctor, and etc etc ?? I never heard of this in a person of retirement age. I have heard of this in little kids, or those who suffered a brain injury. We ALL have memory problems when you get to a certaain age.. Mine are for recent events, names, places I've gone, people I have known, and many many others. Why do you think this will lead to Alzheimers? Are you sure this isn't just normal aging??? Would love to hear more.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I'm still uncertain as to where I should retire, other than the 2 or 3 pleasant summer months in NH. Circumstances have changed since my initial post several years ago. Having recently been diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment, amnestic type (memory), it looks like I have a significant risk of developing Alzheimer's, although of course, it's not a certainty. I have decided I need to continue paying my LTC premiums (that's a shocker ) but I haven't been able to figure out what other plans I should have in place. I figure the big two are finances and where and when I should fully retire. I can deal with the finances, but the when and where of full retirement is difficult. I visit my elderly father at least once a week and expect the frequency of visits to increase as he ages. So, I'm not quite ready to move on. OTOH, I'm wondering if I need to begin establishing my place in a community where I may need to settle permanently. Meh.

Anyway, I'm not worried, yet. It is, however, another factor I may need to take into consideration before finalizing my plans. Life sure has its twists and turns, eh?
I don't know what your plans were, but it would seem like proximity to family is of utmost importance now and in the future. I hate to keep saying this, but family, anyone close, is so important as we age. I know there are those who are coupled and healthy and feeling like they can move anywhere, but personally, with my health history and prognosis for future, I really do want to be close to those I love, and this edges out the living in paradise dreams. Establishing ourselves in a community where we may need to settle due to medical treatments is also of prime importance. It would be soooo stressful to move once a condition is starting to accelerate. These life decisions take an awful lot of thought....

Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't know what your plans were, but it would seem like proximity to family is of utmost importance now and in the future. I hate to keep saying this, but family, anyone close, is so important as we age. I know there are those who are coupled and healthy and feeling like they can move anywhere, but personally, with my health history and prognosis for future, I really do want to be close to those I love, and this edges out the living in paradise dreams. Establishing ourselves in a community where we may need to settle due to medical treatments is also of prime importance. It would be soooo stressful to move once a condition is starting to accelerate. These life decisions take an awful lot of thought....
Well said!!
Lenora, please keep this in mind. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This apartment finder could be of help - it shows apt. rentals on an actual map. type in the zip code and rent range you want and see what comes up.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Anything else like this you know of?
Hey, this padmapper is great website! Thanks!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
As I recall, this thread was so popular at the time ~ there was discussion about its sticky status ~ and the Moderator at that time created it

I've been a participant on this thread for several years, and lately a lurker and I have been impressed by all the spunky women who have actually made the move, alone, without a support system, and have shared their story here

This adventure is something a man cannot understand
i think this is where we all in chorus say "amen, sistah!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement