Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 01:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

Karcon - isn't it fun to get new stuff for your house? Maybe you'll want to stay there now? Nice that tthe insurance company paid for it - hmmmm - makes me think.
Vision of Umbria up on the roof with the water hose, letting it rip....

Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Vision of Umbria up on the roof with the water hose, letting it rip....

Just finished mowing the front, trimmed trees/bushes - taking a virtual break.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Great post. Can you share specifics of what you actually did, moving from where to where?
I was interested as well in hearing more about the specifics of Marigo's move. Did you ever hear back? I didn't see anything posted on this thread after your question. Thanks for asking her.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigo14 View Post
During the past year, I prepared for a while, did a lot of research, but then I finally made a move way out of my comfort zone! It was difficult, had to do it all alone, stress worsened some physical problems, etc. But just wanted to share with others here that it was really worth it.

I wasn't completely sure if it was absolutely the right thing to do, just had a "green light" feeling and some things came together for me. What kept me going was the thought that things could be much better for me and that I didn't have to settle for conditions that weren't helping me move forward in life. There was no point where I was certain about anything, I just found something deep inside that kept me moving forward to make the changes.

The thing I didn't fully realize, that I do now, is that sometimes these things are just a lot harder than they were when we were younger, simply because we don't have scads of energy and may be physically more frail or need more time to recover. And that's OK, it doesn't mean we're not as strong as we were, indeed I think many of us probably know we have much more inner strength and smarts than when we were younger!

You have to ask if you're limiting yourself because it's so easy to internalize how our society values "older women." It helps to find models, read bios or find out about how other women at your age are reinventing themselves and finding ways to thrive. I really believe that these older years can be the best time, even though we have to come to terms with frailties.

The last place I lived in was kind of depressing, crummy, severe weather, it was making me feel much older than I wanted to be. Moved into a lighter, happier place, new people and things to try, I feel a sense of renewal now. So my belief is, sometimes you can't transcend the place you live in, and it really is beneficial to commit to a physical move and take a chance on something different.
I totally agree. I'm at the point where living here has just become more of a burden and I need a new place for retirement next summer. I had to sign my lease for another year, as I was not ready to move this summer, as I am just 63.5. I need to be closer to 65 so Medicare will kick in. I would never qualify for underwritten insurance in another state at this age, and if I did, it would be unaffordable. So I am a hostage to health insurance for one more year.....still doing lots of research and plan to take a few "field trips" to check out some possible locations. I'd love to hear more specifics about where you moved from and moved to. Thanks for a great post!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Default Hi Folks! :D

I have not (obviously) been around for quite awhile.

Yes, I am still in Santa Cruz. And.....I actually retired!

I DID have some health issues, which also curtailed me.

So, I am starting to catch up on you all! Awwww, my circle of great women!!

I hope you are all well and happy! I have an appointment soon, so I can't stay, but felt it only proper to pop in and say "HI!!"

Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

I hope you are all well and happy! I have an appointment soon, so I can't stay, but felt it only proper to pop in and say "HI!!"
Holy Crap! This is SO cool! Hurry back from your appointment... can't wait to hear from our fearless leader.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:

So great to hear from you!!! Catch us up soon, the whole story!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Quote:

Congratulations! Hope you're feeling better. Whoee....retiring on the beach.

I've been really enjoying everyone's posts but haven't had the energy to reply--too tired from digging garden beds and lugging cement to make a permanent hammock stand (and working.) After I get that last post hole dug and cemented I'm done for this summer. Then it's hammock, margarita, and book time.

Nice to hear from you Wisteria!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Today, 01:45 PM
Wisteria
Holy moley! Who do I see???

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:

"Come out, come out, wherever you are~~~~" (excerpt from Hide & Go Seek)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement