Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,807,201 times

Advertisements

Oregonbirder,

Have you thought of a Thread on the Forum Hobbies---i.e. Where to see Birds, good Birding Country?

For myself, am looking for a small college town or a small downtown with everyday needs; possibly MO, TN, KY or AR?
May just continue to live on the Olympic Peninsula, WA.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Oregonbirder,

Have you thought of a Thread on the Forum Hobbies---i.e. Where to see Birds, good Birding Country?

For myself, am looking for a small college town or a small downtown with everyday needs; possibly MO, TN, KY or AR?
May just continue to live on the Olympic Peninsula, WA.
Look to Tri-cities TN (Johnson City). Seldom victim of Tornado, No State Tax, CLOSE to Blue Ridge ... etc.
Knoxville or Asheville 1.5 hrs. LOTS of LAKES / Waterway / forest.

BTW: did enjoy seeing our occasional Bald Eagle 3x today. (Not quite like when I lived on BC Island (Thetis), when eagles would sit on deck railing to taunt the cat.)

Last week had a HUGE Black Bear come out to the house 2x. Haven't seen the cougar lately, but Bobcats more often.

Birds.... my nervous season arrives as I see my Blueberries are TERRIFIC this yr. Since it is RAINING still, the birds might find enough water to keep away from my berries.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:47 PM

27 posts, read 39,888 times
Back from a two week tour of Johnson City TN, Asheville & Charlotte NC, Gainesville GA, The greater Greenville SC area, Waynesboro VA and Washington SC. We missed being killed by falling trees in Washington DC by about 30 seconds. We just beat the land hurricane into the hotel lobby. Many cars got crushed.

We liked the Greenville SC area the most, Johnson City might also be a contender. My sister and brother in law from Hawaii liked the same areas. Both areas are pretty to look at, have all the modern conveniences, but the country is just a short drive away if you enjoy the outdoors.

Would write more ut have some storm damage to take care of here in Chicagoland and I'm tired. If you have any specific questions, post em up.

Carolyn

Old 07-04-2012, 05:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demicent View Post
Back from a two week tour of Johnson City TN, Asheville & Charlotte NC, Gainesville GA, The greater Greenville SC area, Waynesboro VA and Washington SC. We missed being killed by falling trees in Washington DC by about 30 seconds. We just beat the land hurricane into the hotel lobby. Many cars got crushed.

We liked the Greenville SC area the most, Johnson City might also be a contender. My sister and brother in law from Hawaii liked the same areas. Both areas are pretty to look at, have all the modern conveniences, but the country is just a short drive away if you enjoy the outdoors.

Would write more ut have some storm damage to take care of here in Chicagoland and I'm tired. If you have any specific questions, post em up.

Carolyn
When you have the chance.....what did you like about Greenville, SC?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
And, what did you NOT like about Charlotte? When you have a chance.....

Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
When you have the chance.....what did you like about Greenville, SC?
Wow, I think that is our first "Greenville SC" retirement destination!

I look forward to hearing more about it. I am always amazed when people from "up North" move to the deep South, particularly an area that doesn't have a lot of transients from other states. Not dissing on the South, just wondering how people adjust to the cultural differences. I had a hard enough time moving from PA to Southern CA -- I had not realized how completely different the people would be compared to East Coasters. Can't even imagine what I'd be like if plopped down in SC somewhere...lol.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,294 times
Avalon08, I think if you move to an area with an open mind and not try to change the place into the place you came from, it's much easier. We moved to TN almost 5 years ago from CT/NY and love it down here. There's southern hospitality, great food, etc..... I may miss some of the things from up north but enjoying the new things the south has to offer.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Default Ladies!

They are thinking of removing the sticky to this thread, so if you have an opinion about that, vote here:

Stickies in Retirement Forum

(go to the Retirement forum and find this topic)

Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
They are thinking of removing the sticky to this thread, so if you have an opinion about that, vote here:

Stickies in Retirement Forum

(go to the Retirement forum and find this topic)
I was about to post this. Seems to me the moderator should have included a notice on this thread considering that many of the posters/readers may not look at other threads. Indeed, if I limited my reading to my "subscribed threads" I would have missed it.

If the sticky is removed, I'll probably stop posting on C-D. However, I'd like to maintain contact with some of my "sisters." Not sure I'll accomplish this, but I'll figure something out.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,807,201 times
Lenora,

Posted on the Poll, why cannot this Thread be "unstickied" and left open-excuse poor grammar! Shall we all just
mosey to the Chat Thread. Do NOT like to think of folks leaving even though I am relatively new to Posting on a
semi?/regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.