Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Me too !!

I guess I could/would/will take the loss eventually ~~ but it's a depressing thought !
Things are looking up in OR, time to be READY to jump ship if the right offer comes along.

My valuation dropped 60%, taxes went up 15% and no one will buy at "1/2 the valuation price" due to high taxes.

Eventually the tax man wins and MIGHT win my house!

Issue... places I want to move have held their value. so... eventually I will take the 'un-realized gain' (which will never be a loss cause I built this house from scratch), and I'll START-OVER... again... (for 3rd or 4th time). I'm getting tired, BUT still have some life left. so....

Good luck, don't wait 'forever', always have a plan B and C and D... I bought a very nice place in Hill country TX in Dec, and enjoyed winter there. It is For Sale while I come back to PNW to mow my grass (notan issue in TX). TX I could do for home, but it is not correct at the moment, so... if it sells great... if not... I shall return next winter. I fly back and forth to PNW ~ $89 each way ~ 1x/month to feed my 'farm-dog' and keep track of the neighbors. and get WET.

Some day, some where, there will be a different home for me.

In the meantime I'm trying all options (and hope to do the 'live-in-Europe-and-rent' different region every few months for a few yrs.

Healthcare... that is the Gotcha. I Lost another friend last week that had to die, due to no available (affordable) healthcare in USA... (after working for a great employer for 30+ yrs, only to 'retire' "not covered"). We won't have to worry about where we are going to LIVE if we all take THAT option...

Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absiesmom View Post
Why was it in the Sixties we never had a problem with deciding where we were going to wind up?
I think about that too. I think having a lot less stuff made it easier to move around. Also At 20 I assumed I had my whole future to figure it out. At 60....I know for sure time is limited and I'm less willing to compromise and give up the things that I've worked hard to get and make my life enjoyable--gardening & other hobbies (space for the stuff.) I want to keep my hobbies that give me pleasure especially when I finally have more time to spend doing them.

Hope you find something soon--it is really difficult to be in that situation. When I moved back here I rented a room in a house that I found on craigslist. My biggest problem was I had too much stuff that had to be in storage to do it long term so I jumped into buying a house because I was sick of moving and within two years it was underwater. Fortunately for the most part I like the area and the house and my job has become more tolerable in the last year. As long as I have the job I'll stay. Hopefully until 70 and the market improves. I know I should look for a roommate but so far can't get myself to do it.

Do you tell people you are looking for a place? When I moved to WA alone I rented for 6 months and then started getting out (volunteering, social groups) and making friends. I would tell them to let me know if they heard of a place and eventually one told me about a cheap place in a nice spot.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM

215 posts, read 312,195 times
Dancingearth, as you can imagine in any long-term situation in a hotel, pretty quickly people find out what's going on and they have been most sympathetic and helpful as much as they can be.

I have a line on a house, but I don't want to rush into anything, either. Right now, my first impulse is to run to friends who are six hours away and get consoled and find a house near them... There's a lot of time for reflection, as you can imagine. I really want to do the right thing and find contentment in some of the things you mentioned like gardening and enjoying what I've worked hard to acquire. It's just finding the right surroundings to fit it all in that is going to be a challenge.

Thanks for your caring words. It's spring and I'm trying to draw all the positive energy I can.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
OK, brief interlude, or off topic, if you prefer

I have decided that I want to visit one place where I can see thousands of stars at night. If I saw this during my childhood, I don't remember. Suggestions, please? It only needs to be for one night, although I'm not adverse to staying in the area for a few days. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

I have decided that I want to visit one place where I can see thousands of stars at night. If I saw this during my childhood, I don't remember. Suggestions, please? It only needs to be for one night, although I'm not adverse to staying in the area for a few days. Thanks.
Well, I just watched "Life with PI" and you can see this in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. We can see many here but the further away from a metro area the better and I wonder if certain times of the year are better than others - i.e. summer.

Go to MT or WY.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:

In New Mexico away from the larger cities. Northern New Mexico - Taos--you could drive to the Gorge bridge at night and I'm sure you'd see thousands. You're closer to them too--around 7,000 elevation.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, I just watched "Life with PI" and you can see this in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. We can see many here but the further away from a metro area the better and I wonder if certain times of the year are better than others - i.e. summer.

Go to MT or WY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
In New Mexico away from the larger cities. Northern New Mexico - Taos--you could drive to the Gorge bridge at night and I'm sure you'd see thousands. You're closer to them too--around 7,000 elevation.
Awesome! It's the only item on my bucket-like list. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
I have decided that I want to visit one place where I can see thousands of stars at night.
Suggestions, please?
Montana.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Rural Southern Arizona during the dry season, on a dark night, no moon. The sky is full of stars then.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 AM

215 posts, read 312,195 times
Everyone--I'd like to see fireflies as I did in childhood. I didn't see any of them in New England. To me, they were always stars that I could actually catch. I'm looking forward to seeing them again way farther south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement