Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM

27 posts, read 39,888 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I understand 'mountan weather". Where is it cool and were is it steamy in western nc/sc? Is it an altitude thing or what factors are at work?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,739,667 times
WOW! Thanks for your insight! You have enlightened lots of people here, including me. It must be very difficult to return home to see what has happened.

You wouldn't believe how Black Mountain is overrated on UNC TV!! They had a whole program about how wonderful it is, and beautiful, and how artists are flocking there, and how quaint it is, and made it seem like everything you would ever want would be there. Made it seem like the perfect Mayberry town, with scenery that all would fall in love with.

Thanks for your post. Much appreciated!
best,
toodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Hi Toodie

I grew up in Black Mountain and graduated from UNC-Asheville and must say you have captured Asheville, Weaverville, etc fairly honestly. I would add there are a lot of faux-hippies and wannabes as well.

A pet peeve of mine is that people say they have heard how pretty Black Mountain is or have seen pictures of the town and they want to check it out. Fact is the town itself is pretty with 1950ish small town brick buildings in a beautiful setting BUT it is only the town that is pretty unless you live in the upscale part ($700K to $1M+) part; that eastern/southernish side of town. That part has become quite the place to be.

Where the rest of the people live has gotten so shabby and seedy as you go away from town toward Montreat it is sad. For the most part as neighborhoods they are overgrown, in poor repair, and just strange. The 1924 bungalow that was my home has planks falling off the dormers with chickens in the yard. The shrubs I used to trim now grow to the roof.

If it were just a house or two, you could say the right owner can clean it up but the whole thing is at the best overgrown and dark with trees untrimmed.

A friend of mine said something like "Well the earthy people move in and they stay a few years and they move out". And that explains the no pride in ownership/spending time keeping things trimmed and in good repair. Just not a priority, I guess.

Fully expect that I can't go home again, but I honestly wasn't expecting that.

Depending upon your wants and needs, Maggie Valley and Waynesville are nice. I like Mars Hill (but not much going on there) and it is a straight shot to Asheville and its activities. Lots of transplants live to the south in Arden, Fletcher, Hendersonville area. think the traffic on I26 going toward those areas is dense, but if you are retired it wouldn't matter. Good shopping there and shouldn't have to go too far to get what you want. I wouldn't mind East Asheville or Swannanoa area, but that may be because I am a native and it would appeal more to me. Hard to say what works for another.

I am now taking little minivacations back to WNC and ET just to see where I like that clicks before I make my mind up.

Wish you well.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demicent View Post
Every time I try to get more packing done, I sit and sulk a while because it seems like such a huge job. I decided to start by opening up the boxes I already packed and tossing about half the stuff in there. How many extension cords does one person need? How many pens and pencils and boxes of staples?

I am slowly developing a plan, and I feel more confident of success every day. Sometimes I do break down and cry and imagine how much easier all this would be if my husband were still alive. I feel so alone and helpless sometimes but I know that I have to step up and take care of myself now, there's no alternative. Caring for my mother takes many many hours each day and she wakes me up several times during the night, so exhaustion is beginning to set in as well. If I can just get through the next 6 weeks or so I think things will get better from there.

Wish me luck, intrepid fellow travelers through life.
I feel for you. Sometimes I wonder how I moved as much as I have and the idea of packing and moving again is very unappealing even though I try to keep only what I use and get rid of things I'm no longer using. I connected with how many pens and pencils can one person use! It's good you're starting now...it's easier to pack a few boxes every day instead of rushing the last week. Share anytime. When I write things down it clarifies some things and does help. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
I am currently one year from retiring from full time work. My current efforts are mini vacations around likely areas to see if they click with me. If so, I will dig into them deeper and start working a move. Until then I am staying in my current house and paring down anything in my house that does not exactly fit or seem right to move and take with me.

Basically I am 'cleaning house' and looking before I leap. I might rent in the targeted area to see how living there feels before I sell out and pack everything up to move it.

I currently live in Central Florida where I transferred with my last Army assignment. Unfortunately for me, that was just before the real estate crash down here so I would like my house to increase in value some more before I sell it and move. Minimize my loss.

So good luck to all the ladies retiring alone to a new city/state.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,739,667 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand 'mountan weather". Where is it cool and were is it steamy in western nc/sc? Is it an altitude thing or what factors are at work?
In western NC and western SC, there is always humid summer weather no matter how high the elevation. Would be nice if there was an escape up in the higher elevations, but that's not the case. In fact when in western NC, sometimes the humidity and tends to hang around for a long time in the valleys like Asheville because of no air movement.

It's humid and hot in the summer, and you likely will be uncomfortable without a/c. There's no escape from humidity anywhere in the Carolinas.

Want comfortable dry cool summers?
Head west, like Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, anywhere east of the Mississippi.

best,
toodie

Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Altitude AND exposure to winds / breeze would be important in eastern mtns. for the 'coolest' locations. (all is relative). You can get some great data on prevailing winds from NOAA, and Airport maps. Git'n urself stuck down in a hollow could be REAL steamy. I will keep NE TN at the top of my list for an 'eastern USA site, due to favorable tax / Gov issues / property prices low / good cash flow return on rentals. (no pension or SS for me, I need CASH FLOW).

I need to stay WEST, as previously mentioned (cool & dry). PNW has great summers (west side of Cascades) East side of Cascades suffers from heat / fires.

Colorado has been hit SO hard by beetle kill, that 'Everbrown' forests are majority in some regions. It is pretty 'senior friendly' tax wise (was home for me for first 28 yrs). Both WY and SD are nearby and Income Tax free. Each have nice areas, but too remote from airports to work at this time for me. (though hopefully sometime in future.)

In the LONG term, available water resources are also a potential risk / decision when choosing a permanent relocation site.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 AM

292 posts, read 357,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am currently one year from retiring from full time work. My current efforts are mini vacations around likely areas to see if they click with me.
I currently live in Central Florida where I transferred with my last Army assignment. Unfortunately for me, that was just before the real estate crash down here so I would like my house to increase in value some more before I sell it and move. Minimize my loss.
Like you, I'm not yet retired and am considering where to go, whether to move. I was actually considering central FL because of mild winters, it's horse country, and you'll always have visitors. What about it makes you want to leave?

Old 05-10-2013, 02:51 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Hi

Good question. Didn't mean to make it sound like I dislike Florida.

I actually like where I live and am pretty positive about the area. I live in Oviedo on the north side of Orlando and it is a great place to live and I think it would be great for a retiree.

The area you are mentioning is a very nice area and lots of people from my work retire, sell their homes, and move to that area.

So I don't think you could go wrong with FL.

The only negatives I have for someone might be that it is more expensive to live here than I would like (electricity, water, lawn service, etc) and it can be a long way from family. Some people can't take the heat and humidity. Cities are getting a little more congested and paved over. So if any of that is a problem, it might be worth knowing. But I am comfortable here.

My reasons for retiring back home have nothing to do with not liking it here, and in fact I may keep my house until I am settled back home.

It comes down to roots, home, and family for me. My lineage goes back 400 years to the mountains of NC so home always calls. Mom's health is getting worse and my sister is getting more frequently overcome with Mom care. If I could just be within a few hours of them, I could help out before a crisis erupts. From here I am helpless. So it is time to go home.

But if I had no roots or entanglements elsewhere, I would be quite happy here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
Like you, I'm not yet retired and am considering where to go, whether to move. I was actually considering central FL because of mild winters, it's horse country, and you'll always have visitors. What about it makes you want to leave?

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 05-10-2013 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Colorado has been hit SO hard by beetle kill, that 'Everbrown' forests are majority in some regions.
No small thing, this, when we were considering places to move. Heartbreaking, to see the damage. DH has family members who relocated to the Estes Park region in the 1970's-1990's and have homes/land they'd gladly pass cheaply to us. The beetle kill played no small part in our decision to pass.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
My retirement income has been slashed in half this month, with absolutely no warning or notification. I won't bore everyone with details, as I have already posted about this on the retirement forum. So with that said

I have to make some huge decisions now on my future and what to do and where to go. I realize this forum speaks of woman retiring somewhere alone. I don't think anyone will mind if I also post.

I have been trying Arizona out this year for retirement, and I could afford it just fine until this problem suddenly surfaced. Now I have to realize I can't handle the cost of living here, or where I'm from Massachusetts. Just what do people do when Pensions and Social Security suddenly become so reduced. That life has to immediately change. Reduced because of Federal laws, regulations and penalities involving having both incomes. I have to retire where its going to be the cheapest for me, without having to live someplace completely wrong for me. If that makes sense at all. I have been so out of sorts since May 1st when this happened. I don't know where to turn.

I need to be renting which I am now doing I can no longer afford this high a rent payment ever again in life. I am not living a lavish lifestyle by no means, and though this rent is very reasonable. It is now out of my range.

I think Arizona is going to be just to far away financially to make trips back to New England. So I guess I will need to be closer but not there because of its high COL. Even half way closer in a cheaper location would be a big help.

I found Arizona to have a very large retiree population, but not necessarily a retiree friendly location. My rationale on that is. The state seems to cater to a higher income retiree that is purchasing a home. Not the lower income retiree that will need to live in 55+ apts. Although there are some 55+ apts here. They are not in the large numbers, one would think in a retirement state such as Arizona.

So I could use some help and advice, and most of all some information on what people do at this point in life.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.