Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 PM

437 posts, read 646,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
Eight years ago I was faced with a desperate economy in Michigan and my business was going downhill fast. I also had gone through a string of major personal losses and was ready for a change of scene. I sold approx. 70% of my personal belongings, bought a single wide trailer in a retirement park in NC (I was the youngest in the park--50) and began working in a Starbucks kiosk.

I have never regretted the move despite the daily struggles. I have now been in my new community for 8 years and have learned much about starting over in a totally strange place with no natural supports. I have also traveled solo to other countries and states on the cheap.

When I ran across this forum, I was pleasantly surprised to find women thinking about making a residential change. Boy, what I could tell you! However, I have learned so much, it would take too long to share.

I am starting a blog and informational website especially for older single women who have little to no retirement savings. It will provide information/inspiration to help them make the best decisions they can, reveal 'potholes' I have fallen in and teach others how to avoid them, best ways to save money, places to consider for a change of residence, what type of residence is the best fit for them, etc.

If you are interested in checking out my site, just email me and I will send you a link.

I have put this website on my favorites list and will try to come back as often as possible to answer any questions anyone may have about facing a 'radical retirement.'

Good luck to everyone!

Tondra
How did I miss this awesome post......... that speaks so much to me?!? *head in sand or up *ss.... not sure which.

Tondra, I sent you a friend request. I would love to talk about all that you went through, your decision and where you are now. Would love to be an RV'er.... and unsure if my disability will allow it..... and I'm sooooo very interested in all yo have to say, and your site!

bullie~

Old 08-28-2013, 12:49 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,345,208 times
I came onto this thread in 2008 when I was longing to move back to Southern CA, where I had lived for two years on a corporate relocation. At that time, it didn't work out, but my life has changed dramatically since then. Now, I have inherited my Mom's (over-55) condo in FL, and spent four months there this winter and had a wonderful time. So many nice people -- very busy social life. I thought I had made my final decision about moving there, but I am worried that the summers/humidity will get on my nerves. So guess where I'm going next week for an exploratory visit? CA! I know, in my head, the best financial move would be FL. But my heart wants to go back to CA, where the weather was just ideal. Sometimes you just feel like throwing caution to the wind and doing what makes you happy! I'll let you know how it goes.

About condos and HOAs and people not wanting to be involved -- totally true. I've been on several HOA Boards in the past. I did not want to join the Board in the FL condo until I moved there full-time. However, I did volunteer to get involved with something I thought would be a real help to better communications between the Board and residents. As it turns out, the Board really does not want to relinquish any control. The President and another lady are elderly, long-time residents who like doing things in secret, and you've got a Property Manager who wants to maintain her control, too. It's very frustrating.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,806,179 times
Avalon, I assume you are visiting SoCal? Any particular areas you have in mind, just let me know and maybe I can fill you in. You are right that the best weather in the US is here.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,358,180 times
I'm in SoCal also, if you need anything

Old 08-28-2013, 03:29 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,345,208 times
Thanks! I'll be looking at Laguna Woods (the huge over-55 community). Are you guys familiar, or know anyone who lives there?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM

I used to camp down near there in the 60's.
I know most of the units were built in the late 60's and early 70's.

All I know about the place is hear-say, have no direct familiarity - what I've heard is people love the place.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,806,179 times
I assume you've checked out their website, it has tons of information. It is in a great area...anything with the word Laguna in it is more than OK by me I'll check with my neighbor as she might know folks who have lived there and let you know.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM

While you're out here, you might want to also check out some of the 55+ places in North San Diego county - same caliber of place, but usually less $$ than Laguna There are several in or near Oceanside and Carlsbad. And more further inland.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 PM

437 posts, read 646,614 times
I'm learning that a lot of 55+ communities have to accept people under the age of 55.... *I think they have to be at LEAST 50.

Does anyone know if they charge you for your home and then a monthly fee?

bullie~

Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
I'm learning that a lot of 55+ communities have to accept people under the age of 55.... *I think they have to be at LEAST 50.

Does anyone know if they charge you for your home and then a monthly fee?

bullie~
depends... usually they are houses that are privately held in deed by occupant + a monthly fee for HOA (varies from $20/month to $800/month)

I am Senior Co-op centric.... buy a share and then SMALL monthly payments for facilities, Shares are open market 're - sell - able'. Of course there are EXPENSIVE co-ops and PITA co-ops. Just as there are 'Neighbors'...

Usually those under age 55 are with spouse. Issue for some is 'boomerang' kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement