Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 07:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I understand what you are saying, except that women alone actually do have different challenges. And I have tried to actually find this and with the "MEN" first -- and nearly 700 pages relating to women, this is a golden resource for women retiring alone. I had only asked that they at least put Women first, as they are the ones who are stuck when alone. Many women are married, so their needs are very different.
This, and one thing that is largely overlooked is that even women who are not alone, who are partnered, are going to wind up alone some day. Women tend to outlive men. For all women to be able to access the thread devoted to older women and read the stories and advice of women who are single now is valuable in their planning for the future.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Default Staying On Topic !

Since my 3 previous posts were deleted, this one will be sufficiently on topic (I hope) to survive the cut.

I'm a woman alone, facing relocation to a new city and a new state. It is daunting at any age, but especially for a single woman my age, 75 years old. Older means less mental and physical energy. Reading similar stories from other woman exploring the same goal has been helpful. Especially reading posts from those more adventurous woman who have actually made the move and shared their stories have been most rewarding and inspirational.

It looks like Florida will be my best option as that's where daughter lives. Anyone from the Treasure Coast with information on Sebastian, Stuart, Vero Beach ~ or Ormond Beach ?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Since my 3 previous posts were deleted, this one will be sufficiently on topic (I hope) to survive the cut.

I'm a woman alone, facing relocation to a new city and a new state. It is daunting at any age, but especially for a single woman my age, 75 years old. Older means less mental and physical energy. Reading similar stories from other woman exploring the same goal has been helpful. Especially reading posts from those more adventurous woman who have actually made the move and shared their stories have been most rewarding and inspirational.

It looks like Florida will be my best option as that's where daughter lives. Anyone from the Treasure Coast with information on Sebastian, Stuart, Vero Beach ~ or Ormond Beach ?
This sounds like a good plan - will this be soon? I remember when you were turning 70 - scary how time flies.

Do you have someone to help you at this end? Yes, it can be daunting and I try not to dwell on that and remember my last move when I had many more things to deal with - this move should be easier - right?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
One thing that is unique to many single women is, at the age of 55 or 60+, whether to take on a single family home as opposed to a community, townhouse, condo, or rental. While I was single I was in a real twit worrying about how I would ever physically take care of the house (he had done nearly everything in repairs, window washing, gutter cleaning, etc etc and all I did was the housework). I did not want to pay condo fees, nor did I want to cohabit with a stranger, nor did I ever want to give up my two dogs. I admit that I'm not among the stronger older woman (Umbria, etc) and so was in a real fix. Many men in general are strong enough to do the big household chores so if they wind up alone they're not so at a loss. I do think that older women have quite a set of concerns, not the least of which is safety, in relocating (or even staying put).

Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:

I've never lived in Florida. That said, Ormond Beach is listed an AARP's list of Best Places to Retire ON A BUDGET. Sure enough, I checked out the prices of houses (onine) for houses in Ormond Beach and it looks pretty good. Which reminds me... I was chatting with a paralegal on a Maryland state family law hotline who had called me from Ormond Beach to ask a few questions about Maryland law. Turns out she had lived in Maryland and moved to Ormond Beach after a divorce. I asked her a few questions about how she enjoyed living there, etc. and she responded that she loved it and jokingly said she would be thinking about me during our next snow storm. I replied that I would be thinking about her when the next Hurricane roars through Florida. She then stated that she chose Ormond Beach because its place on the coastline was widely acknowledged as making it less likely to be hit than other places. The following hurricane season I was watching the news and saw where Ormond Beach was nailed. I actually felt a bit guilty. Neverthelss, if I were to move to Florida, I'd check out Ormond Beach. It looks like an overall nice place to live. I haven't visited Vero Beach in about 20 years. From the photos online, it has certainly changed. (To me, it appears overbuilt). And relatively expensive (compared to Ormond Beach).

Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Umbria:
This sounds like a good plan - will this be soon? I remember when you were turning 70 - scary how time flies.

Do you have someone to help you at this end? Yes, it can be daunting and I try not to dwell on that and remember my last move when I had many more things to deal with - this move should be easier - right?
Yes, I remember, too, when your daughter came to visit you in Oregon! Wow, time sure flies! Actually, I have a friend who is 75 who just moved to Santa Cruz FROM FLorida. She, personally, had a hard time there -- and her pension is so low that she still has to work. She is a therapist, but at her age, she is having a difficult time getting jobs. She, too, has a younger child -- her son is 28 (my daughter is 23).

Being older, a woman and alone IS daunting! Fortunately, you do have your daughter there. I won't have mine, as she is intending on moving back to Asia for good.... I feel pretty stranded that way. She has been a big help to me here, as I've had a lot of medical issues the past few years (those years are sure catching up with me!). I don't know what I'll do when she leaves again -- I am too "old" to live there (Hong Kong and Japan). Thus, I'm stuck again.

I don't know much about Florida, but with your daughter, I'm sure you can get some good information. At least the cost of housing is lower there....

Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 10,289 times
I wish I found this site sooner. Because I just signed a contract on a house in Arkansas - I am sure moving from NJ will be a challenge. I tentatively considered lots of locations, especially Boulder CO because of its outdoor life style but decided the prudent thing to do was to move close to my daughter and her family - and grandbabies. I am a 68 year old widow still working in a professional position. I will work in Jersey until 12/2014 and them move. (It will take me a year to clean out all my stuff. What a daunting task.)

Old 11-01-2013, 09:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
To survive on this thread (at the moment... all things are temporary) I find U need to be VERY sensitive to NOT exclude / specify gender challenges and just keep to

--___retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?

All folks have their own challenges and thank goodness we have got posts and info from couples and singles of all persuasion. and of course... LiveContent !

CIB, we know of your specific challenges with unloading OR property, we hope there is the right buyer and the right location for U soon. We trust this 'delay' has been purposeful in keeping you from excess relocations! and the end result will be where you are SUPPOSED to be.

Today I am in rural Malaysia (near Ipoh) and having very similar discussions with locals (for 2 hrs over Breakfast). I will be looking into My Second Home - Malaysia. A program for 55+ foreigners
Malaysia My Second Home

As you may have figured out... I'm early retired (WAS age pre-50 when I joined... no longer )
I'm with very sick spouse that needs HC and still nearly 10 yrs from Medicaid.

Thus I took a temp job to get HC to medicate DS.

ObamaCare I predict will have 200-500% premium increases following the Honeymoon / understated costs.
ACA premiums for Bronze are $1500, and about what private HC was for me.

Bottom line... I cannot afford to stay in USA as an early retiree with HC needs.

I will retain domicile in Tax free state (Probably SD, only 1 night / yr required) and travel / live / work overseas to avail HC till spouse expires. Then... Back 2 Plan B (or Z or ZZ...).

I will always be on a shoestring, but am content and well adjusted to that mode.

I have been very well cared for, in spite of giving 32 yrs of eldercare to a disabled parent and then 5 yrs off and now with Ill spouse.
(party time... I went back to college (for free) and got a Master's and took a LONG trip in my 'woman's motorhome' Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van and helped transition 3 older couples from their farms to care center / city apartments., AND got my international Cooperative Development certificate (for housing / farms / Credit Unions / Business, Mobile Home Parks).. all with the intent to eventually help establish AFFORDABLE retirement housing for Shoestring Seniors! (like ME)

On to my Malaysia Adventure ! (almost noon Saturday here... will be 9PM friday night in Santa Cruz! where Wisteria is 'Party Hardy on a Friday Night'

My best to you all... may we SURVIVE for another 10 yrs on C-D ! (Patience... our virtue)

Old 11-01-2013, 09:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromJersey View Post
I wish I found this site sooner. ...considered lots of locations, especially Boulder CO ... (It will take me a year to clean out all my stuff. What a daunting task.)
HEY, WELCOME CfJ... You are in a good SPOT (forum).. Both Wisteria (OP) and I have done Boulder (in our 'youthful' days) I'm sure many others in our readership.

Another poster is from nearby NO CO (as a child) We have all adventured far and wide... I am still planning to pick up a spot in Loveland, CO. (will be a duplex / rural home that is rented and has an outbuilding / apartment / RV spot for me).

RE Downsizing... START TODAY.

by the front door you put three boxes, each with size relative to your new abode.
label them:
  • Give Away : (big box)
  • Throw Away ; (HUGE box... dumpster)
  • Put Away : (tiny box)

another great option when moving... Hire a DUMP truck instead of a moving truck. If it can fit in the cab with the driver, your can keep it (save room for his dog to sit in seat next to him )
The remaining 'stuff' goes into the DUMP TRUCK and gets deposited appropriately.

Welcome again... If you need further advice, just ask

Empty those boxes every day ! (dump them each into "Throw Away" )

Best wishes on a successful relocation... If you follow my advice, you will be able to FLY!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Well, as an outsider, I'd like to express the opinion that those of you who have created a friendship circle from years of posting here - please do create your own separate group somewhere, so that those of us who are interested in discussing the issue of retiring alone to a new city/state can do so without drowning in a quagmire of inner circle emoting.

And since I've been reading a variety of forums on CD for two years now, I'd also like to express the personal opinion that I no longer believe a word StealthRabbit writes.

JaneSmith - you might be interested in reading and conversing in the Rural and Small Town Living forum. It's a friendly and welcoming forum and many of the posts might help you gain insight into why people choose to live in rural areas and small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement