Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 PM

437 posts, read 649,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
What I've recently learned in my 75 years is that people are ever changing; one friend who I knew for over 30 years to be intelligent, vivacious, interesting, adventurous ~ turns out to be bi-polar and perhaps somewhat delusional When making new friends nowadays it's wise to use caution, especially for a woman alone and perhaps a bit needy
Amen the caution and pass the straitjackets! *no offense to those who are mentally ill* ~humor~

I've known people for as little as four years, who all of the sudden have a switcheroo-changeroo... and even came across a woman on THIS site, whose HOT/COLD valves freaked the hell outta me.

Nope.... I'd rather live alone or in a community where I could push a button and get some help.... and live in a teeny tiny little refrigerator box, than take my chances that my roomie is going to shank me in the middle of the night.

Yeah, I'm being dramatic for the purpose of writing..... and I'm serious as a heart attack.

bullie~

Edit: Again, this has nothing to do with the gent looking for a roommate.... as he may be an incredible guy/friend... and may save someone from living in a refrigerator box.

Last edited by bullie62; 11-11-2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: addition to post above

Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Ha ha! Yes, I understand your point. I have lived in south Florida for 40 years. I am sick of the 7 to 8 months of withering, draining, awful, humid heat, hurricanes, loony drivers, corrupt government, being a part of an 18% minority, facetious, self-centered people, high-crime, difficult to garden soil, high humidity, insect-ridden, transient-filled society. Just my opinion, just my particular feelings about south Florida.
And those are only the BEGINNING chapters of why I'd never move to FL. I "did my time" in South Florida, in the late 80's with the then boyfriend, turned fiance, turned husband, NOW EX.

Helllllllz no. Not until I'm blind, senile and still have my drivers license. Then I'm going back there with a vengeance!!~

bullie~

Old 11-11-2013, 01:58 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default Popcorn and Bullie ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
And those are only the BEGINNING chapters of why I'd never move to FL. I "did my time" in South Florida, in the late 80's with the then boyfriend, turned fiance, turned husband, NOW EX.

Helllllllz no. Not until I'm blind, senile and still have my drivers license. Then I'm going back there with a vengeance!!~

bullie~
You gals are making me because I'm actually considering relocating back to the east coast of Florida ~~~ in the Vero Beach area only cuz daughter and I want to be closer together in our old age

Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM

HEY HEY..... don't let anyone bring you down, hon............ What may be MY reasons to not wanna life in FL be the very reasons you LOVE the state!

And if I could afford the HOA fees that most places in the parts of FL greedily demand, I may be looking at the state with a little more than a slanted eye.

YOU WILL BE WITH FAMILY..... and that makes up for any amount of fire ant hills you have to watch out for.

bullie~

*I'm gonna visit you, so make sure you have a pool, please* xoxo

Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
You gals are making me because I'm actually considering relocating back to the east coast of Florida ~~~ in the Vero Beach area only cuz daughter and I want to be closer together in our old age
Yes, this was just my opinion..... I want a change. I miss the seasons. I want to see big trees, rich soil, eat delicious tomatoes, grow lavender, be around 'plain, down to earth people' who all speak English.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Yes, this was just my opinion..... I want a change. I miss the seasons. I want to see big trees, rich soil, eat delicious tomatoes, grow lavender, be around 'plain, down to earth people' who all speak English.
I'd like all that too, without the Midwest Winters. :/

bullie~

Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I couldnt imagine retiring then moving to a place that i dont know or know anyone there, some of my favorite times now that i'm retired is hanging out with long term friends and having the family close by.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I couldnt imagine retiring then moving to a place that i dont know or know anyone there, some of my favorite times now that i'm retired is hanging out with long term friends and having the family close by.
I feel the same, and it scares and saddens me. And when your own city/state is taxing and imposing fees on you to the point you cannot afford to stay, what choice do you have? Live in subsidized housing with cockroaches and crackwhores? Yeah, no.............. I'll take off alone, thanks.

bullie~

Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
I feel the same, and it scares and saddens me. And when your own city/state is taxing and imposing fees on you to the point you cannot afford to stay, what choice do you have? Live in subsidized housing with cockroaches and crackwhores? Yeah, no.............. I'll take off alone, thanks.

bullie~
Yeah, that's one big reason I am wanting to leave Portland. I can't afford to live here any longer and I don't want to live in some teeny, tiny little Senior housing apartment I would have to wait years for the privilege. Not to mention new taxes being imposed like a $50.00 a year "arts tax" and who knows what else they can dream up.

I can do better on what I have to live on in other cities so I don't feel the need to scrape by just for the luxury of living here. Right now, I have a decent landlord who tries to keep the rent down but property taxes being what they are, he can't get by without raising rents and I can't really continue to keep up.

Life is not static. Things change. Moving is one of the toughest challenges one can face. 35 years ago, I moved 2000 miles from where I was born knowing no one and built a new life for myself. It's easier when one is young. Not so much when one is old and not in the best of health but necessity is the best motive. And I am necessarily very motivated.

I was all set to make my move last spring but health problems intervened. So next spring. It will happen. It's always best to look forward instead of backward. That's not always easy but that's what I tell myself.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Women Retiring Alone, and the obstacles they face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yeah, that's one big reason I am wanting to leave Portland. I can't afford to live here any longer and I don't want to live in some teeny, tiny little Senior housing apartment I would have to wait years for the privilege. Not to mention new taxes being imposed like a $50.00 a year "arts tax" and who knows what else they can dream up.

I can do better on what I have to live on in other cities so I don't feel the need to scrape by just for the luxury of living here. Right now, I have a decent landlord who tries to keep the rent down but property taxes being what they are, he can't get by without raising rents and I can't really continue to keep up.

Life is not static. Things change. Moving is one of the toughest challenges one can face. 35 years ago, I moved 2000 miles from where I was born knowing no one and built a new life for myself. It's easier when one is young. Not so much when one is old and not in the best of health but necessity is the best motive. And I am necessarily very motivated.

I was all set to make my move last spring but health problems intervened. So next spring. It will happen. It's always best to look forward instead of backward. That's not always easy but that's what I tell myself.
Oh Minervah, I feel ya..... and YES, it's ALWAYS best to look forward, even if you don't see any light, nor feel any hope, it's better than trying to go backward..... and we know being stagnant is just that..... death.

I'm a journey of living day to day..... literally and figuratively. Some days are good, most days are not. And when I stop doing the "WAH WAH WHY ME WAIL" and just sit in the now, I realize what I'm responsible for, what I can change, what's out of my power and with what I really need to ask for HELP!

*ugh* ~asking for help sucks eggs through a c*cktail straw*.... it's really, really hard work, to say "Please, help me."

And that is, TO ME, what this and other threads here are all about. NO ONE OF US IS AN ISLAND. And so let's allow each other to say "I'm afraid"..... And have it be OK. 'cause we're all here.

*some off our rockers and some very balanced* YOU be the judge.

Life changes are the things that make people look for therapy, or just lose their ever lovin' minds......

1. Moving
2. Divorce
3. Death
4. Loss of Job
5. Illness

HAH!! At our age, we're dealing with ALL of the above~! We're a walking/talking/writing/writhing jumble of emotions and fears! I know, I'm not helping, sorry..................

OK to help the situation, let's focus on the friendships we've made in our lives, in real life, and online. What can we take from those friendships, to help us in our next phase of our life? So maybe our real life friends aren't there for us with regard to our moving situation. A LOT of you have made friends here, on CD and in other arenas, REAL friendships, where you've met in real life and have visited each other, know you're not a nut case.... *cough*......... THIS is what we have to hold onto, now.

ONLINE INFORMATION is bologna cupcakes. If you take what some "person" ~and I put myself into that mix~ tells you, and you don't do your homework, check out the facts, delve deep and far into finding out the truth about what you seek, that's on you.

BE ACTIVE.

Ugh, being mature sucks. lol

bullie~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement