Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times

Advertisements

Hi Minervah. I wish I could keep giving rep points to all these good posts, but it looks like I have to wait awhile. LOTS of great posts -- thanks, everyone!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuousman View Post
I wonder if there's anyone out there who would consider renting to an early retired but still young (54) man. I know these things are dicey on forums and such but it really is the easiest way to reach the greatest number of people. From what I've read on this thread there are many who want/need help but are afraid. I don't blame them. I feel the same way. But I just sold my home of 20 years out here on the west coast and am relocating; to where I'm not sure yet, the world is my oyster. Anyway, I am strong and in good health. I am of impeccable character and would entertain the idea of rooming with someone, gender not relevant, of my own age or older.
I don't smoke nor drink, no children or pets though I adore dogs and cats. I have no mental/emotional problems and tend to do for others before thinking of myself. I am down to earth and like gardening and cooking.

I can go and do most anything I want at this stage of my life but would prefer to spend it helping others. I realize people will be apprehensive about this but what can an email hurt. I'll even send you a photo to prove I am real. Thanks and take care.
Welcome!

What's your sun sign? Can you use a chain saw? Chop wood?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:03 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
OK - now you did it - our mod couldn't take us anymore - we are now "team moderated", meaning, whomever is brave enough or willing to put up with us.

Naughty retired women~~~

Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 PM

205 posts, read 397,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
OK - now you did it - our mod couldn't take us anymore - we are now "team moderated", meaning, whomever is brave enough or willing to put up with us.

Naughty retired women~~~
In numbers too big to ignore?! So many good posts in the last few pages.

As to relocating - I've been a work/idea in progress. Lived in Florida; retired in Florida (timing for house purchase price/interest too good to pass up); hate Florida for all the reasons mentioned: hot, humid - for months on end (I'm still running my AC); transient; no sense of community; no family here. Son lives in the Bay Area of CA and daughter (and husband and my new/only grandbaby) live in Australia - however, they may be back in the states end of next year - living in the Bay Area. So BIG reason to move there. The plus side of living in FL, of course, no income tax and very affordable housing. So you see my dilemma. I think it's one that several of us share.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
So, if we are "team moderated" did we drive Earlyretirement away? Or was he canned for deleting too many posts? I love new gossip.....

Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So, if we are "team moderated" did we drive Earlyretirement away? Or was he canned for deleting too many posts? I love new gossip.....
My guess is he was tired of all the crap. PhxBarb - you old gossip

So, how was your trip to Greeneville SC (do I have the city correct?????) I don't it's far from Asheville.

Tell us O gossip queen.

Last edited by Umbria; 11-12-2013 at 09:07 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
In numbers too big to ignore?! So many good posts in the last few pages.

As to relocating - I've been a work/idea in progress. Lived in Florida; retired in Florida (timing for house purchase price/interest too good to pass up); hate Florida for all the reasons mentioned: hot, humid - for months on end (I'm still running my AC); transient; no sense of community; no family here. Son lives in the Bay Area of CA and daughter (and husband and my new/only grandbaby) live in Australia - however, they may be back in the states end of next year - living in the Bay Area. So BIG reason to move there. The plus side of living in FL, of course, no income tax and very affordable housing. So you see my dilemma. I think it's one that several of us share.
Both your kids will be on the opposite coast - this could be tough, especially with the new grandbaby. Perhaps it's time for granny to move closer - I know it's expensive there but it sounds like Fl has run it's course for you.

You'll figure this out.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

Naughty retired women~~~
do we get to nominate one from among us?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 PM

I nominate Curmudgeon (where is he?)

Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Please change the name back ASAP. This is way to 'Soft' / PC. No one has ever been shooed away, we accept all-comers. Not like anyone VOTED to change it to fit the selfish desires of a temp boss. or... that anyone AGREED. Just POOF, you're censored. like it or leave! (Bit rough for C-D Stat watchers. / revenue models.)

All is temporary (including U and I.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement