Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
And the worst is yet to come - I know it's been this cold but I heard it was in the '90s. Where are my cuddl duds!
Have just started to read these posts, just found a couple of days ago. I am 60, a widow for 19 years, kids, 4 grown up and on their own. I have retired this past year, lucky as I have a government pension but not a lot of other support to fall back on. But I have had it with Mn. Believe me I live in the northwest part of Mn. Which has been about 30below wind chill for most of the past three months. Cars froze, battery dead, running from house to store etc. in order not to freeze! What the H..... Ha. So I am starting to think of what to do next year and where to go. This would only be for the winter months as I would m iss my kids and grandkids, the family issue. So will really enjoy learning more. Note although this has nothing to do with this subject but this past fall I decided to venture on my own and took a Amtrak pass for 14 days, a great time even solo, going from the East Coast (New York, PA, Washinton, to Seattle, San Fransico Co. Etc. etc.) and I did love seeing the landscape from both sides of the coast which even inspired me

more to try to venture some where new next winter!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:35 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
I think the 1st thing you should do it make a list of the type of place you'd like.

City? small town? boonies?

make a list of how important various things are: proximity to good med care. airport/highways, other srs or mixed age range. Do you have special interest or talent you'd like to be near?

all kinds of stuff.

Then prioritize the list. What will you absolutely not compromise on, what will you and what would be nice.

That will narrow down the search quite a bit. It's a big country, lots of choices.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanndoll View Post
Have just started to read these posts, just found a couple of days ago. I am 60, a widow for 19 years, kids, 4 grown up and on their own. I have retired this past year, lucky as I have a government pension but not a lot of other support to fall back on. But I have had it with Mn. Believe me I live in the northwest part of Mn. Which has been about 30below wind chill for most of the past three months. Cars froze, battery dead, running from house to store etc. in order not to freeze! What the H..... Ha. So I am starting to think of what to do next year and where to go. This would only be for the winter months as I would m iss my kids and grandkids, the family issue. So will really enjoy learning more. Note although this has nothing to do with this subject but this past fall I decided to venture on my own and took a Amtrak pass for 14 days, a great time even solo, going from the East Coast (New York, PA, Washinton, to Seattle, San Fransico Co. Etc. etc.) and I did love seeing the landscape from both sides of the coast which even inspired me

That Amtrak ride sounds like fun - something I've always talked about doing. You must be an adventurer.

Yes, this winter is like those I remember from 20-30 years ago. I've done my time here and really need an overall change so I'm heading to NC.

So many interesting places to go - just make a list of what would make you the happiest. Depending where it is, your family may come and visit you.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Umbria, where in NC (roughly) are you headed to? It is still on my retirement list and I'd like to hear how you decided on NC. thanks!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Umbria, where in NC (roughly) are you headed to? It is still on my retirement list and I'd like to hear how you decided on NC. thanks!
Mid March I am driving down to the coast area - Ocean Isle Beach, Wilmington, Southport... I have 2 realtors that I am meeting up with. Wilmington is starting to look good - lots of fun meet up groups plus all the medical, shopping etc...

Then on my way home I am going through Asheville and staying for a little less than a week or so. Could be longer since I really want to check out the entire area. As long as I have already taken the time to drive there I want to make sure I really get the feel of both areas.

Why NC - after looking at many parts of the country it just grabbed my attention. It isn't as hot in the summer as some spots and the winters are much milder. Asheville has a winter.

After this winter - no more. Time to go.

And what about you? Have you made any decisions yet?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM

130 posts, read 297,106 times
Smile Scouting places via Amtrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanndoll View Post

I've always wanted to do the Amtrak pass thing. Where did you stay while you were traveling? I looked up the cost of the pass: 15 days $449; 30 days $679 -- affordable, but where did you sleep? Just wanted an idea of how much it will cost to do it for 30 days. I am looking for a place to retire and with so many options out there, I'm getting bewildered. So I'm addressing this also to you kind souls of this forum for advice on where would be the best place for me to fit my profile.

1. I am female, fit and healthy, single, one daughter in Syracuse, NY (who is fully independent, married and doing well), retired at 62, income $42K.

2. I've lived in NYC; Washington, DC; California; Baltimore; Virginia. I have family that I visit occasionally in Atlanta, NJ, Syracuse, California -- but I don't need to be in the same city or nearby; just reachable by bus, train or plane.

3. I want sunshine for most of the year, but don't mind the 4 seasons, including snow just as long as winter is shortlived and not the normal expected weather for most of the year.

4. My ideal place would be an urban metro area, but my research shows most of those places are unaffordable, so am willing to be outside the perimeter but close enough to it with access by public transport.

5. It should be near medical facilities for those occasions when I need to visit a doctor -- at least within 50 miles.

6. I am a progressive liberal and would not want to live in a community where I would be treated as an outsider because of it. I considered NC and SC as possible places to retire, but heard that people there are rather conservative and have ties with the KKK. I also don't want to live where the state or town has laws or ordinances too conservative or controversial that can affect my daily life, e.g., profiling non-Caucasians; smoking prohibited even outdoors; etc.

7. Ideal: town with arts and culture; good library; volunteer opportunities; nearby nature parks; friendly community; public transport; good shopping accessible.

8. My hobbies and preoccupation are solitary activities, but I want to live where I can hear and see people, i.e. to be alone in a crowd, so I don't want to be in the boonies or so far away from others that no one will know if I've died.

9. I would consider homesharing if buying my own place is not an option. I am renting an apartment now, but my landlord is selling his building and must move out by June 2014.

I welcome your ideas -- anything at all that are good possibilities.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
I've always wanted to do the Amtrak pass thing. Where did you stay while you were traveling? I looked up the cost of the pass: 15 days $449; 30 days $679 -- affordable, but where did you sleep? Just wanted an idea of how much it will cost to do it for 30 days. I am looking for a place to retire and with so many options out there, I'm getting bewildered. So I'm addressing this also to you kind souls of this forum for advice on where would be the best place for me to fit my profile.

1. I am female, fit and healthy, single, one daughter in Syracuse, NY (who is fully independent, married and doing well), retired at 62, income $42K.

2. I've lived in NYC; Washington, DC; California; Baltimore; Virginia. I have family that I visit occasionally in Atlanta, NJ, Syracuse, California -- but I don't need to be in the same city or nearby; just reachable by bus, train or plane.

3. I want sunshine for most of the year, but don't mind the 4 seasons, including snow just as long as winter is shortlived and not the normal expected weather for most of the year.

4. My ideal place would be an urban metro area, but my research shows most of those places are unaffordable, so am willing to be outside the perimeter but close enough to it with access by public transport.

5. It should be near medical facilities for those occasions when I need to visit a doctor -- at least within 50 miles.

6. I am a progressive liberal and would not want to live in a community where I would be treated as an outsider because of it. I considered NC and SC as possible places to retire, but heard that people there are rather conservative and have ties with the KKK. I also don't want to live where the state or town has laws or ordinances too conservative or controversial that can affect my daily life, e.g., profiling non-Caucasians; smoking prohibited even outdoors; etc.

I welcome your ideas -- anything at all that are good possibilities.
Although parts of NC may be like this (???) - most desirable places have become a melting pot of people from all over. Parts of SC sound like this as well - at least the heavy retirement spots. I think most metro areas of the US are melting pots.

I often wonder how the natives feel about this. Their culture is being decimated. There is one area of NC that must wonder what happened to their idyllic place.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM

Red face Mobile home or prefab? Female and retiring alone, a rising demographic

All my life I have wanted to live near the coast and the climate in California strikes me as ideal. At one point I also considered the southern portion of the east coast, but I doubt I could handle the humidity.

I have been intrigued by the thought of living in a mobile home (an idea I got from this very thread), preferably in a community where the residents own the land rather than lease it. These appear to be scattered throughout California and I’m interested in checking them out in the San Diego area as well as Santa Cruz and Monterey. I have visited both regions over the years and although different, I remember liking both very much. I have family in the Los Angeles area and the thought of being closer to them pleases me.

How are your plans coming along? Just last weekend, my sister and I visited a prefab in the nearby town (Eastville, VA) with a realtor to check it out. Before that, my sister who was visiting San Francisco checked out mobile homes in Oakland, CA. It might surprise you that mobile homes (at least the presentable kind) in CA are not cheap. Have you considered prefabs? Ok, I thought prefabs were just like trailer park homes, the kind you see derided in films, but to my surprise, they are not -- at least the one we visited. They are beautiful homes, one you'd be proud of -- and the price? You could have one built for less than 200K, excluding cost of your lot. So, I'm not ruling that out in my own search for a place to retire. I, too, am looking for that ideal place. I rent an apartment now in Cape Charles, VA -- a charming, coastal historic town on Chesapeake Bay, just a 45-min. drive from Virginia Beach, VA.

My landlord is selling so I need to find my next place. I have always been scared to own a home alone, so I've been renting all my life. But in this area, you could own your own home for less than my rent, and you've got the beach right in town. When my lease expires in June 2014, I will bunk temporarily at my sister's house, who owns a home here, for at least a year and try to save some downpayment money and buy a used car. (I haven't owned a car since 2009 by choice.) Rentals here are few and, if you find one, you are never sure about your landlord's motives and you, as the renter, are being used to their advantage until they cash in. I have come to realize that you cannot rely on private landlords leasing you their apartment indefinitely, which I had wrongly assumed when I rented this beautiful apartment where I live now.

I don't want to move again! It has taken me 5 years to adjust to my retirement in 2009 (compulsory early retirement mandated by my employer in Washington, DC). During those 5 years, I just took it easy and got too lazy to think about my own future. I engaged in my solitary creative pursuits happily and just enjoyed my freedom with no commitments. I blew quite a bit of money and traveled during my first year of retirement; lived in CA for a year (Fresno and Pasadena); moved to Virginia Beach, VA and moved again to Cape Charles, my current residence. I wanted to live in the Wash. DC metro area but couldn't find an affordable place that's not located in an iffy neighborhood. I've even entertained moving back to NYC where I had happy memories -- the dream dashed in no uncertain terms by harsh reality when I googled rentals in the city and environs. Now, I've come to a crossroads and know what I really want (or do I?). But I need to accumulate savings to do it, so that's my goal this year.

Except for my goal above, I still feel aimless because I don't know where to live. I don't want or need to work to survive. My fixed income is comfortable enough to live a decent life for however long I live. I want to live independently so living with a family member is out of the question, unless I have my own separate full quarters. I really don't want to own a home alone, but I am open to homesharing in a duplex where I can live alone but near a congenial soul. I am still searching. I am finding that having too much freedom is a bit overrated just like procreation.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 AM

Default North and South Carolinas and KKK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Although parts of NC may be like this (???) - most desirable places have become a melting pot of people from all over. Parts of SC sound like this as well - at least the heavy retirement spots. I think most metro areas of the US are melting pots.

I often wonder how the natives feel about this. Their culture is being decimated. There is one area of NC that must wonder what happened to their idyllic place.

I shiver just thinking that there are still places in the US that have ties to KKK. Other ideologies permit living harmoniously and without harm to or coercion of others, but to have an organized group like the KKK among you is scary to say the least.

What did you mean by "There is one area of NC that must wonder . . . idyllic place."

I'm not sure if you meant it was idyllic before or after it became a melting pot (i.e. where every law-abiding, civilized citizen is welcome). What culture is being decimated? I am curious -- what is the name of the town? I wanted to know because I was considering NC or SC as a retirement town but I don't know the prevalent community atmosphere there.

I also read somewhere in this forum that NC/SC is no longer an ideal retirement place because they are changing (or have changed) the tax laws that favored retirees and are now doing the opposite -- making them pay for living there.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Umbria, I hope you will share all your adventures and thoughts after your trip to NC, I'll definitely be interested in what impressions you come away with. As far as my progress, I notified my supervisor this week that I will be retiring on August 5 so I can start the process of making decisions on medical care, etc. I feel relieved, excited and scared too, because my money will be tight. But it will be worth it to have freedom to do the things I want to do. So 5 months from today....

I decided to retire first since that is kind of overwhelming itself and then I can focus more on making a decision on moving to a less expensive place to live. I tried to handle doing both but it was really too much. North Carolina is still on my list, but probably in the Raleigh area. I hope to visit either in July or right after I retire to see if I can really handle the hot/humid summers. After the bitter, long winters the east coast has had to endure this year (and unfortunately I think it will be like this for some years to come), I've had to really reconsider any thoughts of moving to the NE/New England area. I did visit Charlottesville, VA last fall, it was a nice place but probably too small for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement