Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 03:57 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times

Advertisements

There is a discussion on this forum about TrC. The link I tried to post does not work, but you can do a search for TrC.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...sequences.html

how's that?

There's also a 'sticky thread' (one that stays on top) in the NM forum with pics.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 PM

81 posts, read 309,735 times
My sister lives in Alburquerque, via Mississippi and New Orleans, LA and absolutely loves it. I am going to visit in June. They, she and her husband also have land in Santa Fe, where they plan on building in the future. I do know that their home has increased in value by leaps and bounds, and their property also. They have only been there 2 years.
It was hard for them to find a house, because as soon as they found one, someone else had already bought it. Booming place. University close by. Mountains. They go skiing several times a year. She loves the weather!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
The weather in Alb/Santa Fe can't be beat, as far as I see. No humidity, lots of sun. It gets colder and it gets warmer, but it's still sunny. Vistas. Wonderful adobe-type architecture (Santa Fe). There are actually affordable condos in Santa Fe, at least to these Boston eyes. It is a major retirement area if you have a few bucks.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 AM

179 posts, read 298,001 times
I love this thread. Although I am not single, I just retired last year in my mid 50's and trying to find my way around different issues. I still have to wait around 5 more years for any big move since my husband is younger than I and will not be able to retire in his mid 50's for another 5 years.

My best friend has retired to Albany, OR from Reno, NV and seems to like the area.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:45 PM

The area of TrC looks too desolate for me. I need trees, trees, trees!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Quote:
plantlover: The area of TrC looks too desolate for me. I need trees, trees, trees!
Yes, the desert can be daunting and treeless -- and I see that you are in Florida, so you are used to lush plants, although you can certainly grow tropical plants in the desert, but you'd need irrigation. I've lived in very lush places, but the downside, to me, is that it also often comes with bad weather. Personally, I'm attracted to mountainous areas, and Florida is so flat, that I don't think I could feel comfortable there. But I know people who love Florida!

As Anomoly suggested, we might break it down into regions. I'm still interested in the southwest due to sunshine, mountains and low humidity, plus a slower lifestyle.

However, keep in mind that once one sees more of the desert -- and knowing ahead of time what it might look like, can diminish the shock -- that there is a wonderful beauty in it. Looking through copies of Arizona Highways and New Mexico magazines, can give a little view of the beauty that exists in this barren land. I never thought I'd be one to say that, as I was quite distressed when I first moved to the desert. Now, I understand the allure.

I've attached a couple of photos -- one of just desert, and the other of one of Truth or Consequences' hot springs.

Here is a photo of Moab, Utah, just over the Colorado border. It is a good example of some of the rock formations in the desert and what it is like driving through it.

This is the entrance to one of the hot springs at Riverbend Hot Springs in Truth or Consequences -- we loved it there! I love the colorful walls and designs on buildings in New Mexico!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:58 PM

Thank you for posting this, Wisteria. I have been to Grand Junction, CO and loved the rock formations. I like the idea of mountains, low humidity, and rich culture & history. I have been a subscriber to New Mexico magazine for nearly 4 years. I love it!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
However, keep in mind that once one sees more of the desert -- and knowing ahead of time what it might look like, can diminish the shock -- that there is a wonderful beauty in it. Looking through copies of Arizona Highways and New Mexico magazines, can give a little view of the beauty that exists in this barren land. I never thought I'd be one to say that, as I was quite distressed when I first moved to the desert. Now, I understand the allure.

Those are beautiful photographs, wisteria. Yes, I have heard that.... the beauty of the desert grows on you. My brother has lived in Grand Junction for years & his photos of the area are even for sale in shops in town and one is on the cover of the telephone book of Mesa County. He loves the desert life & feels suffocated by the over-lushness of the east.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,542 times
i hate to be a downer, but i've lived in the phoenix metro area for 23 years and i never adjusted to living in the desert and i can't wait to leave!!! originally from wisconsin, i can't wait to move to upstate ny to get back to the 4 seasons, real trees, rivers and lakes, old architecture and quaint towns. the southwest is not my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement