Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 06:40 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,124,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
How did your trip go? I saw from another post of yours that you were from the Lafayette area which is a beautiful area. When the kids were little, I took them to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon several times. Daughter attended Butler, but son attended Ball State and I hated driving into Indy to turn around and head north again so I often took the lesser traveled roads to Ball State from NW Indiana. It's fun to see different areas off the beaten path! Of course Interstate 65 was being worked on a lot and that helped to influence my back roads decision lol

Can't help but ask, did you ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" ? It chronicles a 17-day motorcycle ride from MN to No. CA.

Unlike you, I'm heading away from the Indiana snow!
Hi Dee. I have not taken my trip yet. I will be going up in May. I loved, loved, loved the Feast! I also loved visiting the battlefield at Battle Ground. I am very much interested in history. I may be doing something odd, but I am so tired of the heat and constant sun in south Florida that I want a change. We've already begun having temps in the high 80's to 90° and this should last until sometime in October I just can't take the heat and humidity any more. I also miss Spring and Fall, which we really don't experience the same way down here. Too crazy, too many people, terrible drivers, etc. I would never suggest the lower east coast of Florida for retirement.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,487 times
I'm sure you remember the high humidity summer days fondly? (very tongue in cheek!) We've seen some upper 70 days already this April but I know what you mean about spring and fall. I will miss seeing the beautiful tulip trees and gorgeous fall foliage but I won't ever miss the cold and the snow! lol

I had one aunt and uncle who retired from Chicago suburbs to Branson, MO, another aunt and uncle retired from NW Indiana and went to Little Rock, AR but both families moved back to here shortly before they passed away (decision influenced by their children). The Little Rock aunt and uncle moved to Rockville "Covered Bridge Capital of the World" and it's really pretty there but very small population! Another aunt and uncle retired to Phoenix where they stayed. I plan on being like those two and staying in Tucson

Please let us know how your trip goes and if Indiana is the way you remember it

Old 04-20-2015, 03:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,124,518 times
Here is some information about a smaller town which is rated highly for retiring seniors:

AARP names West Lafayette a top city for elderly

Old 04-20-2015, 03:56 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post

I've only looked through about the last 20 pages or so of this thread but I didn't see any posts about Tucson. Has anyone else relocated there recently? How do you like it? Did you decide to go with a "community" or go it alone?

Looking forward to reading much, much more
Welcome to the forum. I lived in Chicago in the 70's and have lived in or near Tucson for 30+ years. I moved long before retirement although I'm now past retirement age.
Are you looking at retirement communities, like Green Valley or Saddlebrooke? My parents retired to Green Valley in the late 70's. It's a nice place to live with a variety of housing types. There are lots of rentals. Also there's Green Valley Recreation which has a lot of activities, fitness centers, pools, tennis courts, music programs, craft classes, etc. etc. Tucson is about an hour up the interstate.
I suggest you join the Tucson forum as this topic often comes up.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:43 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,487 times
Hello Windwalker2 and thanks for the welcome. I've already joined the Tucson forum and posted Not really looking for retirement communities. I love children and would like a mixed age setting I may come to regret it, but that's doubtful.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
I'm a retired woman, 73, divorced for many years, live alone with my cat, currently in central NY. Lots of ups and downs over the years; made up my mind recently it's going to be all "ups" from now on. It really is how you think. I have moved a lot over the years, furthest being to Tyler, TX in 1993 (returned 13 months later). Long boring story, won't detail it, but lost a really good retirement from it.
Too many ghosts in NY these days (not necessarily from the cemetery).....miserable times and lousy memories are right around the corner.
Moving in September 2015 to NC and so excited about it. I don't have great retirement money but have gotten by with what I have for a pretty long time in NY state.
The mountains fascinate me and if I feel like it, I can drive a distance to visit the ocean. Not a beach person, but on occasion do like to be there.
As long as I have good health, have a positive outlook, have faith in God and myself, I can do it.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
First time posters like the above?? Now what was he/she trying to say?
Welcome NY to NC Gal. I agree. Attitude is everything and when my brain tries to tell me I can't do it cause I am too old, I tell it to be quiet and then think good thoughts. BTW my initial plan was to move to NC and after ALOT of research, I discarded that plan. Where in NC are you headed???

Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I'm a retired woman, 73, divorced for many years, live alone with my cat, currently in central NY. Lots of ups and downs over the years; made up my mind recently it's going to be all "ups" from now on. It really is how you think. I have moved a lot over the years, furthest being to Tyler, TX in 1993 (returned 13 months later). Long boring story, won't detail it, but lost a really good retirement from it.
Too many ghosts in NY these days (not necessarily from the cemetery).....miserable times and lousy memories are right around the corner.
Moving in September 2015 to NC and so excited about it. I don't have great retirement money but have gotten by with what I have for a pretty long time in NY state.
The mountains fascinate me and if I feel like it, I can drive a distance to visit the ocean. Not a beach person, but on occasion do like to be there.
As long as I have good health, have a positive outlook, have faith in God and myself, I can do it.

What part of NC?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Here is some information about a smaller town which is rated highly for retiring seniors:

AARP names West Lafayette a top city for elderly
Popcorn, do you think you'll retire there? As I had said, my friends (not yet retired) who moved there from here for professional reasons love it.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed over the 700 pages or not but is there a concern about who will take care of you near the end if you relocated? We have no kids and are considering a relocation. Sooner or later one of us will die. Even if we end up in a new place for 15 years it's unrealistic to expect our new friends to offer to care for us. The thought of being alone in a nursing home 500 miles from "home" scares the crap out of me.
I have news for you: Friends are NOT going to care for us, and even for those who have adult kids, probably forget it! Siblings too! Most of us will be on our own, wherever we land. We need to understand that is most likely the case, and move without fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.