Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 06:02 AM

155 posts, read 148,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have been retired for 9 months now and the place where I rent is raising rents around $600-700 a month (I'm in shock) and now we also have to pay for water, sewer and trash (which is becoming the norm), new tenants also have to have at least an income 3x the rent ...so if anyone out there is thinking about renting in one of the very popular, good weather locations, think twice my friends and make sure you can afford the rent increases. There's really no advantage to renting anymore.

I'll now have to get serious about moving to a lower COL area as I can't pay this amount of rent anymore. I'll have to figure out a way to live here maybe for another year until I can put together this major move. I feel sad today as do my friends who live here too...
I'm sure this is why so many people are moving to places like SE Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Vitnam, etc) or to South or Central America (Ecuador, Costa Rica, Colombia, Panama, etc) or Europe (Spain, Portugal, Malta, Italy, etc). There are so many fantastic options with great weather, excellent healthcare and with a low cost of living. You can live an interesting, fascinating lifestyle in most of these places at less than $2 000 a month. Isn't it worth trying?

Old 06-11-2015, 06:54 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
That's a gamble I for one would not choose to take. Expensive to move, expensive to move back if you don't like it.
And you can't visit as often or as long in a foreign country as you can within the US.

Exceptions, I know. Just not an option for me.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:08 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
I'm sure this is why so many people are moving to places like SE Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Vitnam, etc) or to South or Central America (Ecuador, Costa Rica, Colombia, Panama, etc) or Europe (Spain, Portugal, Malta, Italy, etc). There are so many fantastic options with great weather, excellent healthcare and with a low cost of living. You can live an interesting, fascinating lifestyle in most of these places at less than $2 000 a month. Isn't it worth trying?
It's worth visiting but a after spending years ( in vacation time) at these places, I know I don't want to do it. Rather just vacation there frequently. I know of very few people ( and I know many that tried) who have gone and stayed. Plus, do you really want to give up all your relationships here to do it? Plus, there can be many visa hassles, etc. plus, in many cases, if you are living on a low income, it will be difficult to EVER move back.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:00 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
It's worth visiting but a after spending years ( in vacation time) at these places, I know I don't want to do it. Rather just vacation there frequently. I know of very few people ( and I know many that tried) who have gone and stayed. Plus, do you really want to give up all your relationships here to do it? Plus, there can be many visa hassles, etc. plus, in many cases, if you are living on a low income, it will be difficult to EVER move back.
After reading all the posts I guess I'd have to say that it's probably a good thing I never considered leaving the country to live. Some places I've vacationed, and have later considered moving there, were all in the US. And I never moved there, because I don't want to, but still try to vacation there.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
Personally, just not for me...I have no desire to live outside the US. I have a hard enough time wrapping my head around what I'm going to have to do just to move within the US. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:42 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,327 times
Also have no desire to live outside the country.

Spouse has mentioned Puerto Rico..... or some sunny beach island.

I asked him where he'd get all his medical care - he's a heavy user of medical care with his back pain and arthritis..... leaves him silent.

Brother moved to Brazil. Married a Brazilian. He's going to need knee surgery any time soon..... I can't imagine him having it there.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,124,518 times
Well, during the first two weeks in May I took a road trip to my hometown, Lafayette, Indiana. It had been ~ 38 years since I last visited. Wow, has it grown. I found the people to be super friendly, good, passive drivers, and I felt comfortable being in the Midwest. I looked at some houses for sale. I've been subscribing (online) to the local paper for over a year. Some things bother me: the air pollution - lots of factories, the heavy traffic and crime seems to be high. Houses are much cheaper (a good thing) than where I am - south Florida.

I want to move out of south Florida due to the high cost of living, high crime (my house has been broken into 3 times with several other attempts), terrible, terrible drivers, extreme heat, humidity and thunderstorms...not to mention ...hurricanes. Corruption is rampant and seems to be the norm, here.

Back a few years ago, just after Travon Martin was killed by that kook, Zimmerman, my car was attacked by two teenagers as I was driving through a school zone. Two boys jumped on my car, one stomped on my windshield - tried to break it, and they stomped on my hood, top of the car and the rear, leaving dents...... they 'walked on my car'. I was in shock, it happened so fast, with other high school kids all around. I kept moving.....a short distance to a RED stoplight. As I was stopped, a car rear-ended me.....I know why these black adults did this.....they wanted me outa there! Don't worry, I wasn't going to hang around. I am the last one who wants any attention or publicity - so I never reported it to the authorities. I did not want to be on the news!

So I really do want to live in a peaceful place... I don't want to come off as a racist, but I would prefer to live in a mostly white community. Currently in the county (Miami-Dade) in which I live, white Anglos are 15% of the population. Most others are Hispanic or black.

I'm at a standstill right now. I need to be downsizing, I need to get my house ready to sell but I just don't know where to move.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Well, during the first two weeks in May I took a road trip to my hometown, Lafayette, Indiana. It had been ~ 38 years since I last visited. Wow, has it grown. I found the people to be super friendly, good, passive drivers, and I felt comfortable being in the Midwest. I looked at some houses for sale. I've been subscribing (online) to the local paper for over a year. Some things bother me: the air pollution - lots of factories, the heavy traffic and crime seems to be high. Houses are much cheaper (a good thing) than where I am - south Florida.

I want to move out of south Florida due to the high cost of living, high crime (my house has been broken into 3 times with several other attempts), terrible, terrible drivers, extreme heat, humidity and thunderstorms...not to mention ...hurricanes. Corruption is rampant and seems to be the norm, here.

Back a few years ago, just after Travon Martin was killed by that kook, Zimmerman, my car was attacked by two teenagers as I was driving through a school zone. Two boys jumped on my car, one stomped on my windshield - tried to break it, and they stomped on my hood, top of the car and the rear, leaving dents...... they 'walked on my car'. I was in shock, it happened so fast, with other high school kids all around. I kept moving.....a short distance to a RED stoplight. As I was stopped, a car rear-ended me.....I know why these black adults did this.....they wanted me outa there! Don't worry, I wasn't going to hang around. I am the last one who wants any attention or publicity - so I never reported it to the authorities. I did not want to be on the news!

So I really do want to live in a peaceful place... I don't want to come off as a racist, but I would prefer to live in a mostly white community. Currently in the county (Miami-Dade) in which I live, white Anglos are 15% of the population. Most others are Hispanic or black.

I'm at a standstill right now. I need to be downsizing, I need to get my house ready to sell but I just don't know where to move.

Lots to choose from. Maybe pick a place near a support system. Airports will get you to warm weather climates in winter for a break.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:32 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,014,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post

Scary!!!! Yes, you must move. Is Lafayette in the running or are you looking further? Have you considered NC or TN? Lots of smaller peaceful communities and not all that far from where you are now.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:38 PM

492 posts, read 405,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Anyone consider moving to the middle of the US? Am looking into Columbia, MO which is just 385miles from Chicago, where my son and fam live. Anyone have any opinions about Columbia?? I posted on the MO forum but no one answered (yet). U of Missouri, great Osher program, 17% senior population and 4 seasons. Hot and humid in summer. But it can't be worse than Phoenix for heat.
PhxBarb,
If you are considering Columbia, MO, I suggest you also take a look at Lawrence, KS and Overland Park, KS. Columbia to Overland Park is about a 2 hour drive. It's about another 1/2 hour or so to Lawrence. Both cities have lots to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement