Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 07:34 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Well, during the first two weeks in May I took a road trip to my hometown, Lafayette, Indiana. It had been ~ 38 years since I last visited. Wow, has it grown. I found the people to be super friendly, good, passive drivers, and I felt comfortable being in the Midwest. I looked at some houses for sale. I've been subscribing (online) to the local paper for over a year. Some things bother me: the air pollution - lots of factories, the heavy traffic and crime seems to be high. Houses are much cheaper (a good thing) than where I am - south Florida.

I'm at a standstill right now. I need to be downsizing, I need to get my house ready to sell but I just don't know where to move.
Did you look at any of the other small college towns in Indiana or were you so focused on going back to Lafayette that you didn't bother? I think I mentioned how much Lafayette had grown, but it's always better to go and see for yourself

I think I suggested looking at Greencastle (home of DePauw) on your way through Indiana. When I visited there I found it to be quite charming. If I were going to stay a Hoosier, it would be at the top of my list. I would also check out Vincennes.

I'm sorry to hear that you've reached a standstill! I'm in a holding pattern because I want the car paid off before I head to Arizona. If there's any place that you'd like me to scout out for you, I'll be in NW Indiana for a few more months and would be glad to assist you.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Lafayette was mentioned on this thread somewhere before and I seem to recall that West Lafayette seemed to be better...would that be true? I think Bloomington is suppose to be quite nice also but that is south.

PhxBarb, I didn't realize you were thinking of moving from Phoenix...is it to be closer to family, too hot there?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:23 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I just got back from driving to Winston Salem in hopes of finding an apartment so I could move there in September. This was my third "search" trip and I'm not going to do it again. It's a heck of a drive and I do it by myself. It costs a few bucks, hotels, food, gas, etc. I am on a limited income, not a spring chicken, and truthfully, I'm worn out. I guess it was not an especially good plan. I don't have anyone living there that could help with knowing the area, having a place to stay, etc.

So now I need to take my wish hat off and be practical and real. Having that dream did a lot for me. I need to find something here that will give me the same "rush."

In truth, I am tired of being by myself trying to make things happen.

Guess this sounds a bit like "oh woe is me, poor me"...... sorry.

I'm usually more upbeat.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:05 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I just got back from driving to Winston Salem in hopes of finding an apartment so I could move there in September. This was my third "search" trip and I'm not going to do it again. It's a heck of a drive and I do it by myself. It costs a few bucks, hotels, food, gas, etc. I am on a limited income, not a spring chicken, and truthfully, I'm worn out. I guess it was not an especially good plan. I don't have anyone living there that could help with knowing the area, having a place to stay, etc.

So now I need to take my wish hat off and be practical and real. Having that dream did a lot for me. I need to find something here that will give me the same "rush."

I'm usually more upbeat.
I am sure you are exhausted. You didn't see anything that tempted you at all?

Old 06-13-2015, 06:24 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

I'm usually more upbeat.
Get a good night's sleep and maybe you'll feel differently in the morning.

I don't know if anyone has suggested you retain a real estate agent that handles rentals. I don't believe you pay for the apt hunting service, the apartment/home owner foots the bill.

If I were in your position, I'd probably settle for a not-so-great apartment with a one year lease, max. That should be more than enough time for you to familiarize yourself with the area and keep an eye out for an apt that is more suitable.

Don't give up.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Lafayette was mentioned on this thread somewhere before and I seem to recall that West Lafayette seemed to be better...would that be true? I think Bloomington is suppose to be quite nice also but that is south.

PhxBarb, I didn't realize you were thinking of moving from Phoenix...is it to be closer to family, too hot there?
I have mentioned West Lafayette, where one of my (professional) clients moved with her DH a few years ago from the SW, previously here. They built a home. They like it a lot. It also seems north enough from the Midwest tornado alley. Purdue U is there, with many amenities. Seems that West Lafayette is preferred.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
PhxBarb,
If you are considering Columbia, MO, I suggest you also take a look at Lawrence, KS and Overland Park, KS. Columbia to Overland Park is about a 2 hour drive. It's about another 1/2 hour or so to Lawrence. Both cities have lots to offer.
Yes but do check out the tornado history in Kansas. Not that tornados don't hit Missouri, but in the seven years I lived there, there were none in Columbia. Southern Missouri (Joplin area) seems to get hit, close to Oklahoma.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I'm at a standstill right now. I need to be downsizing, I need to get my house ready to sell but I just don't know where to move.
Popcorn,

Maybe Lafayette IN has just grown too much for you, more like a city. I would check out Western NC. I liked Black Mountain and many of the small towns around there. The winters are winters but not as bad as in the Northern U.S. I suggest getting your house in the hands of a realtor and making a W-NC trip, just to see if it's your kind of place.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Oh thank you for answering ! Sioux Falls is very pretty for sure. I booked my ticket, ugh, on an airplane, after deciding it was too far to drive to Missouri, so I will be seeing parts of MO around June 21. House is listed so hoping for a quick sale at a good price. Liquor me up and give me a valium prior to departure, please.
If you're headed to Columbia, check out the SW portion of the town (I call it a town, it's not a city). While there, go about a half-hour south to the state capital, Jefferson City, a really nice albeit conservative small city with the wonderful state Conservation Dept. Nice homes at affordable prices. Boonville and Fayette are laid-back, comfy Midwest towns with history. The best small theater productions www.lyceumtheatre.org/about.php I've ever seen are in Arrow Rock, also quite historic, and stop at the winery in Rocheport!

Old 06-13-2015, 07:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Thanks for the hints but I don't want to live in Kansas. I want to be closer to the Chicago suburbs where my son and his family (my only grandchild) live and Columbia, MO seems to be a good choice. At least now it does, but I won't be there until next Sunday to actually visit. If my house sells in a week, I will buy something there. I dislike AZ so much.

AZ is boring in my mind. There is really no culture here and the brown desert and cactus is not my idea of landscape. I have tried to garden and after 14 years have learned how, but I long for the good old midwest dirt. Education means very little here, especially if you have little kids. The schools are unfunded, teachers are leaving in droves, and the urban sprawl has gotten out of hand. You definitely need a car. You will see lots of retirees here, but unless you live in one of those 55+ communities, it's hard to make true friends. I have relied on my daughter and her hubby too much.

And although its 107 here today, the lack of trees and shade is a mystery to me. Why would you not encourage more tree planting all over the valley? My beautiful tree in my hot back yard had to be stripped because the flowers blew into the neighbor pool. So now there is little shade and way too much sun in a yard filled with rock. I really really miss green. And rain. And even snow. Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are just another day here. Nothing very special. Putting lights on my house at Christmas does not do it for me.

Actually very little makes any sense in AZ. It seems the lack of interest is rampant. Most people would rather drive into their garages, shut the door and never come out again until the next day. Meeting neighbors has been difficult. I have concluded that people here truly want to be very private and it makes it hard to join stuff, cause there isn't anything to join. I tried a meet up group that were retirees, but all they did was go out to eat.

So, there you have it. I would never say this stuff on the Phoenix forum, cause I would be branded a "hater." But, after 14 years, I truly have had enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.