Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 06:21 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times

Advertisements

OverItAll: I should probably mention that while I have a dependable monthly income, I am in debt up to my ears. I've talked about it quite a bit and have gotten a lot of support and suggestions from people here. Tomorrow I plan to start digging into that as to how I can get some relief. I have everything at a credit union and it's my understanding that credit unions are much tougher than banks if you try to go bankrupt. So I am pretty sure I'm going to have to use another way to help myself. Like have a chat with my credit union friends. Maybe they can reduce some of it.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:44 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
I have a friend of 25+years who is a physician no less and he has declared bankruptcy both 11 and 13 more than once since I've known him with mountains of debt.
I dated a bankruptcy atty many years ago and most of his clients were rich a**holes.
Peeps from all walks of life do it and the rich do it as a strategy.

If I were you I'd do it. If you were 35 not 73 I'd say noo, but at your age, who cares? Get rid of the debt and live it up, move where you want to and enjoy yourself.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I have a friend of 25+years who is a physician no less and he has declared bankruptcy both 11 and 13 more than once since I've known him with mountains of debt.
I dated a bankruptcy atty many years ago and most of his clients were rich a**holes.
Peeps from all walks of life do it and the rich do it as a strategy.

If I were you I'd do it. If you were 35 not 73 I'd say noo, but at your age, who cares? Get rid of the debt and live it up, move where you want to and enjoy yourself.

Another poster has recommended the same thing. I'm not afraid to go BK, or embarrassed or any of those other feelings. But the thing about the credit union I need to find out more about. I'm getting in touch with legal aid tomorrow to get some info from them, maybe they will recommend a "free" lawyer (not sure if there is such a thing)...... but I'm ready. Oh, to take off and live where I want to. What a blast. Now I've got my little buddy, Wendy, life is good and getting better.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
We just now stepped outside to view a rare occurrence in the heavens...the conjunction of Jupiter and Venus. Venus appears as super big (though Jupiter is much bigger), in between Jupiter and Earth. It's a beautiful sight for anyone who feels like peeking. Venus looks like a jewel.

Venus and Jupiter Meet At Last

Old 06-29-2015, 07:49 PM

That happened here last year. I did go out to see it and it's really something! There was supposed to be a third planet with those two but cloud cover or something else prevented seeing the 3rd one.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Please remember that this BK stays on your credit for 10 years and if you hope to move anywhere, the apt management will be checking your credit rating (which will be ruined) and this is a big red flag. You may have a lot of difficulty renting in a new location.

Glad to hear you finally got your new roommate!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:18 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Another poster has recommended the same thing. I'm not afraid to go BK, or embarrassed or any of those other feelings. But the thing about the credit union I need to find out more about. I'm getting in touch with legal aid tomorrow to get some info from them, maybe they will recommend a "free" lawyer (not sure if there is such a thing)...... but I'm ready. Oh, to take off and live where I want to. What a blast. Now I've got my little buddy, Wendy, life is good and getting better.
Is your Social Security check deposited in a credit union account? Are your loans with the same credit union?

Old 06-29-2015, 08:35 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Please remember that this BK stays on your credit for 10 years and if you hope to move anywhere, the apt management will be checking your credit rating (which will be ruined) and this is a big red flag. You may have a lot of difficulty renting in a new location.

Glad to hear you finally got your new roommate!
This is exactly why I am renting here for at least a year. When I was checking out doing a bk, it was amazing how many landlords were landlords because they'd lost their home due to the recession/foreclosure etc. Please don't disciurage her from seeking relief from her situation. I survived, she can too.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:43 PM

I will admit that when I moved here & was a home health aide, 2 of my clients were the parents of the manager of this complex. So, she knew from the way they praised & liked me that I was a good person. I worked for them for a year & they saw my condition deteriorate during the year. I liked them as much as they liked me & it didn't hurt that I was about the only person the wife had liked. That was a case where my age & I guess my personality & Minnesota work ethics came in handy.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This is exactly why I am renting here for at least a year. When I was checking out doing a bk, it was amazing how many landlords were landlords because they'd lost their home due to the recession/foreclosure etc. Please don't disciurage her from seeking relief from her situation. I survived, she can too.
Also, at her age I assume she has an assured, albeit lower, income, as I do. That is a real.plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.