Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 09:18 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

That's the thing here. We can pile on the winter gear, & still have a lot of fun outside, make snow people, skate, ice fish,snowmobile, or just sit inside by a delightful fire.

You can't take off too much when it's hot,or you would get arrested.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I'm already cold. It seems to get worse for me every year. This is the first year where I've actually developed sores on one of my fingers (from the cold) and it's not even November yet. I'll be visiting the Florida son over Thanksgiving and even though he's in the northeast part of the state I'm already looking forward to a bit more warmth.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll take the opportunity to look around to see what type of housing is available in the area. Sigh. Still not ready.
Right, that was the thing that tipped me over the edge when I had to decide on PA v. FL. The cold was actually causing me PAIN....my hands would throb, even in the house with the heat on. As annoying as the heat and humidity can be, it doesn't cause pain in these old arthritic bones. And that was certainly something that was not going to improve with age.

Do you have Raynaud's? What is causing sores on your fingers? My Mom had Raynaud's, which caused loss of circulation in her extremities in the cold. Hopefully it's not genetic, but if it is, another reason for me to stay down here.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:38 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Right, that was the thing that tipped me over the edge when I had to decide on PA v. FL. The cold was actually causing me PAIN....my hands would throb, even in the house with the heat on. As annoying as the heat and humidity can be, it doesn't cause pain in these old arthritic bones. And that was certainly something that was not going to improve with age.
That is the issue I have also. Sure you can bundle up and wear mittens but all it takes is a short exposure and the pain takes a bit to subside even if you warm up pretty quickly.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:17 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

Do you have Raynaud's? What is causing sores on your fingers? My Mom had Raynaud's, which caused loss of circulation in her extremities in the cold. Hopefully it's not genetic, but if it is, another reason for me to stay down here.
I have two issues regarding exposure to the cold. Well, three if you include my irrational reluctance to move. I have Raynaud's and cryofibrinogenemia. Yeah, look that one up.

I rarely have pain in my feet and hands - the circulation just stops and results in total numbness. The "cryo" causes the Raynaud's but also affects non-extremities and is the most dangerous of the two. The fibrin, fibrinogen, etc. clots when I am exposed to cold. When that happens I feel sore in my legs, arms, etc. One treatment is steroids, but as the medical literature points out, the only cure is avoiding all cold. I am taking a vasodilator to help prevent the Raynaud's from damaging my hands and feet.

I can deal with the hands and feet, my problem is the small risk of throwing a clot. Bummer.

Yesterday I had an appt with a new Gyn. He reviewed my medical history, asked if the Raynaud's bothered me and I responded, not really. When I told him it was the cryo that bothered me, he told me I need to move to Florida. I swear, I was ready to burst into tears. Totally irrational.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:45 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I have two issues regarding exposure to the cold. Well, three if you include my irrational reluctance to move. I have Raynaud's and cryofibrinogenemia. Yeah, look that one up.

I rarely have pain in my feet and hands - the circulation just stops and results in total numbness. The "cryo" causes the Raynaud's but also affects non-extremities and is the most dangerous of the two. The fibrin, fibrinogen, etc. clots when I am exposed to cold. When that happens I feel sore in my legs, arms, etc. One treatment is steroids, but as the medical literature points out, the only cure is avoiding all cold. I am taking a vasodilator to help prevent the Raynaud's from damaging my hands and feet.

I can deal with the hands and feet, my problem is the small risk of throwing a clot. Bummer.

Yesterday I had an appt with a new Gyn. He reviewed my medical history, asked if the Raynaud's bothered me and I responded, not really. When I told him it was the cryo that bothered me, he told me I need to move to Florida. I swear, I was ready to burst into tears. Totally irrational.
Wow, no I sure never heard of that "cryo" deal. My Mom had CREST Syndrome, which is five different auto-immune disorders starting with those letters. The "R" was for Raynaud's, the "S" was for scleroderma, which made her skin tight and super-sensitive (even a light blanket over her toes bothered her...which was a problem because she was always cold and needed to be covered). She developed gangrene on her big toe and ended up having to have it amputated, even after a stent was put in to try to improve the circulation. If it makes you feel any better, she lived in Florida and this still happened. I don't know if the gangrene was caused by a small cut on her toe and just developed because she had no circulation so it couldn't heal....or if the gangrene was caused BY the lack of circulation.

The thing is, even in Florida, the only place where you can control the temperature is your own house. And boy, my Mom's place was HOT. But if she went to the stores, the AC was cold, especially the supermarket freezer aisles. If she was in the hospital, the rooms were always freezing....and her roommates never appreciated her turning the AC up to 80. But then the extra blankets hurt her feet. In hindsight, I should have insisted she have a private room due to her condition.

Last edited by Avalon08; 11-06-2015 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 11-06-2015, 07:42 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
A little off topic here, has there every been a thread for older singles not tied to the where will you go question?
I was trying to google never married single financial pod casts and all I got was lots of websites on how to hook up <sigh>
Well there were a couple of very short articles with super generic info. IDK maybe there isn't much difference when it comes right down to it. But it would seem to me that singles have specific needs, especially ones with no children and maybe no family. How can we help each other? Share knowledge? Should we have a thread for just plain - Single old alone?

Old 11-06-2015, 08:30 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
A little off topic here, has there every been a thread for older singles not tied to the where will you go question?
I was trying to google never married single financial pod casts and all I got was lots of websites on how to hook up <sigh>
Well there were a couple of very short articles with super generic info. IDK maybe there isn't much difference when it comes right down to it. But it would seem to me that singles have specific needs, especially ones with no children and maybe no family. How can we help each other? Share knowledge? Should we have a thread for just plain - Single old alone?
If there isn't such a thread already, please start one. I am content being single old and alone until I attempt to do something that would be much easier if I had some support. It makes me realize how alone I am.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:47 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I believe that was the intent of this thread.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I believe that was the intent of this thread.
Not really. The intent was MOVING somewhere while being old, single and alone. So maybe a new thread could encompass all who are NOT moving, but still old, single and alone. JMHO

Old 11-06-2015, 09:31 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Oh? I thought "where and why" was location based. Trying to help older singles find good communities to live in.
Should we all agree to discuss more personal matters related to being older and single here? We do a little already but I never wanted to take it to far as it seemed off topic. Or start a new thread? Maybe a different forum would be more suitable? I tried starting one in Non Romantic relationshiops but I worded it badly and it got off topic right away, I asked a mod to delete it so I can start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement