Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2008, 04:40 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,101,914 times

Advertisements

Such sad news, but sometimes things happen for a reason. One door closes and another opens to a much better opportunity. My thoughts are with you. Mary

Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,773,537 times
Quote:
Anomoly: Park Model deal fell through!
It got ugly.
I had already moved everything out of this RV space, and into the trailer.
I didn't like the way the deal was going when:
1. walk through noted needed repairs, but owner said I was just a complainer.
2. no title handed over
3. no bill of sale: owner said I didn't need one for DMV.

She told me to "pack all my sh#t, and get out" of the park. She wanted keys back, even though my stuff was still in trailer. Also I was paid for my RV space till July 7. Police had to come out. It was ugly.
I just got everything moved back out of the trailer, and the new space, and BACK INTO my RV, and my original space.
Wow, that's intense!!!! Did you lose any money on it? You didn't pay anything to her, did you?

You know, it's weird, but I had a recent nasty experience this week, too. I'll do the short version (maybe it has something to do with short people needing to speak up for themselves).... I had to contact the Attorney General's Office this week after a manager at a -- horrible -- lending company -- unfortunately, I am with -- the corrupt Countrywide -- refused to "resolve" my not receiving a mortgage statement for four months on time -- I have not received a statement in the month prior to when it is due for over four months now.

The man tried to be "polite" at first, and when I said all I wanted was a statement...he had all sorts of excuses....I said, "Do I need to contact the Attorney General's Office to get it straightened out?" Well, he blew!! I mean, a temper!! Wow! I guess I was a complainer, too! It still isn't resolved, and he even told me (it sounds so like a similar situation), that I wasn't allowed in the building to even pay my mortgage!! So, I don't have a statement (nothing in print that even has my new escrow amount, so I have nothing with the real amount), and I'm not allowed into the office because I complained (guess I am a complainer) that it seemed like a reasonable request to get a correct statement on time..... So, I hear you!! I think that sometimes people really just want to mess with you, and then when you speak up and either show what is "real" or defend yourself, you're not playing by their script, so to speak. Since Countrywide was bought out by Bank of America three days ago, I contacted Bank of America (unfortunately, they do not yet have Countrywide's accounts), but they thanked me for getting the name and address of the manager, and said they would call and "counsel" him about how to handle clients.....I have a feeling I should run the other way fast, if I ever see him again!! Unfortunately, I've still got to deal with the situation -- hope my "good" door opens, too!

I guess you received a sign about leaving TorC. I am still seriously looking at Las Cruces....from all I've been learning about the towns, it seems that Las Cruces is more "normal." I like funky and fun, but I also have to have a place that will have amenities and regular people who can help me when I am "elderly." I had some nice thoughts about TorC, and my friend is there right now, so I'll see how it goes for her, but maybe it isn't what it initially seemed to be.

Actually, after the sting of this event fades, you'll probably be grateful that you didn't settle into that place. In the meantime, take some time to reflect and rest.

I understand what you're saying, and maybe this will be a time to re-explore what will work long-term.

When I lived in Arizona, I had a friend who loved Sedona. She just couldn't get it to work for her, though. She rented a nice home, but lost it, she couldn't get a job for long enough (she was a massage therapist) that would support her, and things just seemed to have a hurdle in front of them all the time. Eventually, she left. When she did she said, "I had a love affair with Sedona, but Sedona didn't love me back."

Sometimes -- and I'm sure you know this, anyway -- like Plantlover said -- this sad turn of events leads to other things, and often better things.

Hang in there!! Maybe it's time to say "good-bye" to TorC, and get yourself into a better spot.

Good luck to you --- it will be better. This is that turn in the road you just didn't see coming.....I trust that you will find a better space, with new people. Let us know where you are next week. If you do end up around Las Cruces, let me know -- I'm coming out in several months (planning stages right now) -- and we can meet up. Sounds like it's time for a change.

Hang in there -- I have a feeling that door is going to open soon.

Wisteria

Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 PM

522 posts, read 1,427,986 times
Wow, you guys are great! Can't believe how many comforting responses in such short time ... thanks.

Truth is, the owners are no worse or different than anyone else I've encountered. I haven't had much faith or trust in anyone for a long time now.. my motto? "give people an inch, they'll take a mile".
So, I try to "live my life making sure I don't give people an opportunity to take me for a ride". I try not to let people get more than I want to give. By doing so, I usually avoid the bad tendencies of people.
I tried, in this situation, to prevent problems upfront, but because the trailer was rented out for a month, I wasn't able to do 'walk through' until move in. The owners now say they would have fixed the problems-eventually, but I didn't like her referring to questions about 'needed repairs' as just complaints; acting like she was doing me a favor, and I got really fed up when she said "What's your problem now?". That's exactly why I asked so many questions upfront, and is why I wanted a written agreement upfront!
I was so frustrated by their lack of professionalism!
So, Monday I told her I put a 'stop payment' on checks, cancelling entire deal until "everything was as it should be". I knew that meant I had to move everything out, probably never to return.
As anticipated, she was defensive and vindictive, blaming everything on me. And, just as some of you mentioned, I knew at that point that I made the right decision to stop what was increasingly becoming a bad deal.
She told the Cop I hadn't paid a dime in rent (gave her $12,000), and flip-flopped about it being worth $36,000 in one breath, then saying "she can't expect perfection from an 8 year old trailer".
But, I still don't understand her saying "I don't need a bill of sale"! ...Then again, they don't give a receipt for rent, either, unless you ask...

So, I'm OK, but think it hasn't really hit me yet that I'm back on the road again, with no place in mind....
Thanks again, guys, I'm amazed at how supportive this forum can be!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:18 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,236,533 times
When it comes to real estate of any sort - including trailers, a paper trail is essential. You asked for no more than anyone should have done in the first place. I smell a scam. It was good you got out. Only a temporary disappointment, but you still have a home - your RV that you are well experienced at so you WILL find the right spot and situation for you. Unfortunately there are nasty people out there and one has to protect oneself.

Throwing a tantrum is an effective negotiating tool. I've done it myself from time to time when faced with recalcitrant crap and it usually is effective. I just never do it as a starting gambit.

Best of luck.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 AM

86 posts, read 358,793 times
Anomoly,

How sad I feel for you. We have spoken privately and I know how much you were looking forward to what certainly appeared to be the best fork in the road for you. All I can say is that it is a good thing you were able to stop it when you did, that you saw this person for what she truly was, and that you got your money back. You are a smart cookie, and you did all the right things. And you know, better things can be done with that money, and it is understandable that it might take you a while to let all this settle in and be able to take stock of the next steps you want to take. I have every confidence that you will do the right thing--what is right for you!

Some here have told you to "hang in there," but I will go a step farther and be what you know to be my blunt, irreverent self. Although I was never a John Wayne fan, I do like one of his favorite quotes: "Don't let the bastards get you down!"

Thinking of you. We'll talk later.

Rocket Dog (formerly "jdinkc)

Old 07-05-2008, 12:53 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,773,537 times
Great replies!

This is a great group of women. Maybe because we are on our own, we are stronger than many other women. We have had to learn to fight our own battles!

This is a group worth keeping. Gosh, I wish you were all here near me, so that we could go to a local coffee shop and just hang out! Maybe at least a few of us will end up in the same place....that would be so nice!

Old 07-05-2008, 02:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,236,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Great replies!

This is a great group of women. Maybe because we are on our own, we are stronger than many other women. We have had to learn to fight our own battles!

This is a group worth keeping. Gosh, I wish you were all here near me, so that we could go to a local coffee shop and just hang out! Maybe at least a few of us will end up in the same place....that would be so nice!
I've had that same thought. I bet we would be a fun and interesting group at a coffee klatch.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:30 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,395,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've had that same thought. I bet we would be a fun and interesting group at a coffee klatch.
or bingo. I'm JUST joking Must be sun on the brain from being at las Golondrinas all day or was it the drooling over the blacksmith historian. hot hot hot and probably married.

I think we would have some fun! Come to music night on the plaza with me. Buffy Sainte-Marie will be there one night--I want to see her. Free concerts starting Monday night! I'm tempted to skip my drawing class Monday - I really hate cross contour--I don't get it. I love contour drawing though.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:15 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,445,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
or bingo. I'm JUST joking Must be sun on the brain from being at las Golondrinas all day or was it the drooling over the blacksmith historian. hot hot hot and probably married.

I think we would have some fun! Come to music night on the plaza with me. Buffy Sainte-Marie will be there one night--I want to see her. Free concerts starting Monday night! I'm tempted to skip my drawing class Monday - I really hate cross contour--I don't get it. I love contour drawing though.
Buffy Saint-Marie?? And in a free concert, yet! Now, that is one artist I would love to see/hear! I was checking the Photography Thread, and just thought of her before I clicked on this thread! Hmm...cosmic thoughts??

Have you seen any of her digital art? She's been working with it for years. Some posters are playing around with digital manipulation of pics on the Photo Thread, and I thought of one of her original artworks, which is pretty spectacular. I think it's called 'Pink Village', or something like that.

A coffee klatch would be wonderful, wouldn't it? Hang out on the Plaza, and listen to Buffy St-Marie.... They have something like that (coffee thing) going on in Missouri, where some ladies meet every month (my sister lives in Mo, and I've been offered work there. Not crazy about moving there, but a job is a job.)

You make hanging out on the plaza very, very tempting!

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 07-05-2008 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: bad speller!

Old 07-06-2008, 03:04 PM

8,802 posts, read 21,216,368 times
So sorry to hear that, but it must not have been meant to be (I know that sounds overly simplistic). It really should not have happened that way, though & you must feel that everything was beyond your control.

I just know that something lots better will turn up & as we all know : what goes around, comes around.....So, YOU will be successful in the end. .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement