Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 09:09 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
hi tesaje ~~~ Still counting down???? I have a condo also, but that works for me because I would not be able to maintain a place on my own with all that it entails. Shoveling snow and all that. This way , I am just responsible for the inside which is enough for me.
Hi Nancy. Good to hear from you again. Retirement must be keeping you busy. Spring will come. Yep I'm still counting down 294 days today! (computer counters make that sooo easy).

Yes, do tell us how it has been going.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Default NEG encouraged by article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I can't remember if anyone posted this site:
Women Turn to Alternative Housing to Meet Retirement Needs at SmartMoney.com

I want to look for the book mentioned in the article.
This is indeed a very interesting article. We all knew that sooner or later someone would pick up on this and write a book. The idea of communal living with other women does seem appealing...but an established community may be a more stable situation in the long-run, as individual owners' situations could change for any number of reasons and then the housemates might have to move again. I have been following the Elderspirit community in Abingdon for over a year, wanting to make a trip down there for a visit. It's not an all-women community, but it looks really interesting. Does anyone know much about the Abingdon area? I would love to consider Virginia, such a beautiful state, and I do like the ecumenical aspect of this particular community. Thoughts anyone?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:45 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I can't remember if anyone posted this site:
Women Turn to Alternative Housing to Meet Retirement Needs at SmartMoney.com

I want to look for the book mentioned in the article.
Quote:
But instead of joining an existing community, the self-described maverick set up her own, buying two houses in a three-house enclave. Now, she lives in one house, rents her second property to two other single women, and has a friend living next door.
A very interesting article. This is the sort of thing that could appeal to me. An intentional neighbors thing where are are right there for each other with that day to day friendship with little things but have your own space. I would think that getting a group of adjacent houses could be very nice. Not necessarily new houses or a new community which is always very expensive and entails some added risk. The other thing they mentioned where you have the common house gets to be expensive.

Making it happen is a whole other set of problems. It sounds like she lucked out with being able to find 3 houses together and could afford to buy 2 of them with a friend to buy the 3rd.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
wow this retirement is a long time comin. seen it for a long long time.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have been following the Elderspirit community in Abingdon for over a year, wanting to make a trip down there for a visit. It's not an all-women community, but it looks really interesting. Does anyone know much about the Abingdon area? I would love to consider Virginia, such a beautiful state, and I do like the ecumenical aspect of this particular community. Thoughts anyone?
I've been to Abingdon a couple of times. They have a huge and wonderful craft and art fair every year -- the Virginia Highlands Festival -- that brings in busloads of people.
Virginia Highlands Festival - Home
It's also the home of the Barter Theater.
About Us - Barter Theatre
It's a pretty, historic town. Mostly antique and craft shops in the part I've been in, but I was on a bus with a group from Knoxville and didn't really get to explore.
You can spend a weekend at the historic Martha Washington Inn to check it out:
Welcome | Martha Washington Inn
It's pretty country with mountains around. It does get a good bit of snow and cold every year. It's not far from Va. Tech in Blacksburg.
Check Virginia taxes, they can be high.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Quote:
newenglandgirl: I have been following the Elderspirit community in Abingdon for over a year, wanting to make a trip down there for a visit. It's not an all-women community, but it looks really interesting. Does anyone know much about the Abingdon area? I would love to consider Virginia, such a beautiful state, and I do like the ecumenical aspect of this particular community. Thoughts anyone?
I looked at their site: ElderSpirit Community - Living and it is very interesting. I noticed as I browsed the pages that some of the places and things we have individually mentioned here are also mentioned there. What a great resource. We need to find out more -- especially forming our own group out west (for those of us who want to be in the west).

Thank you so much!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Default NEG reports on Abingdon community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I looked at their site: ElderSpirit Community - Living and it is very interesting. I noticed as I browsed the pages that some of the places and things we have individually mentioned here are also mentioned there. What a great resource. We need to find out more -- especially forming our own group out west (for those of us who want to be in the west).

Thank you so much!
I phoned Elderspirit in Abingdon VA today. I spoke w their very nice Exec Dir, who is departing (seems like an economic decision, but not sure)...anyway, we chatted about the community, which sounds wonderful. Then she said that if and when you sell your purchased unit, you're required to give back (did I hear her right?) 50% of what you sell for to the community, for the good of the community. I want to call again in a few days to make sure I heard her right. That part definitely does not work for me, so in looking into these kinds of communities, we need to find out all the governance rules and regulations before we get too excited about a place. They seem to be doing well though, as they're building a new bunch of condos in a second community close by. And, for those who want to rent, they do have rental units that may be subsidized (you apply thru the state housing authority for this). So that's my latest info...

Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Would it be possible or worthwhile setting up a chat page for Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why on C-D? Just wondering

Old 03-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Quote:
plantlover: Would it be possible or worthwhile setting up a chat page for Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why on C-D? Just wondering
Do they have actual "chat" pages here? This has become a kind of chat room -- when I originally started the thread, I certainly didn't expect this kind of response and the interesting, intelligent, great women here! (seriously!)

I know they have the "social groups" on C-D, but I honestly often forget to look at them because they're hidden in that side bar and not obvious.

I had thought of setting up some form of website, although it does seem that some women have found us through Googling, too.

I feel like we're getting closer to "creating" here, now. Maybe it's the economy, maybe it's that need to just make a decision -- I don't know, but somehow it feels different to me now.

I am going to take about 5 days off of work scattered over the next month to get the house as ready as possible for market. I just found out....4 days ago...that the person who originally bought this place bought it "as is," so I may have to do that. No wonders I had to put so much money into fixing this place! Geez.

I am just so frustrated that I have to get out, start all over, move to who knows where, and pin down a place. It just seems like so much at once. Unfortunately, I don't have choice -- it's something that's forced onto me -- either die at my desk to keep a house that is hard for me to manage, or sell and leave the area...there seems to be no in-between.

At least I raised my daughter all the way from first grade to now college here, and gave her a sense of stability. Now, it's time for me to go.....

I have to make my new mantra: "Change is good, change is good," even though change seems so much harder in my 60s!

Thanks for the update Newenglandgirl! You're right -- there are so many questions to be asked, and so much to learn. Pretty soon we will be authorities on this stuff!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
You are so right , wisteria. As soon as Kelsey is settled, I am planning on putting my house on the market and moving. Someplace warm, that's for sure & the west sounds just fine . ( It's 20 degrees here today ). I still have dreams of those cozy cottages surrounded by flowers and winding paths . Where, oh where is our millionaire benefactor?
(Probably as decimated as we are by this economy)

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement