Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Newenglandgirl: On the Net, why can't you just find a local realtor anymore in a given location?
I understand your frustration. I absolutely detest looking through the MLS and seeing misspellings, incorrect grammar, horrible descriptions, no or one photo. What I did was to take my zip code and went through all the listings on it. I looked at every single listing and saw a consistency with one realtor, and that is with whom I'll be working.

When I contacted her, she seemed kind of surprised, and I told her that out of all the listings I had seen in this area, that she seemed to be the most thorough (360 degree views, numerous photos, great descriptions, clearly and well-written). When she came to see me at my house, she brought a whole file of charts and graphs that she regularly does about the area, costs, etc.

She also provides services like "staging," and a modest "house cleaning" prior to an open house. She also lives in the area, so she knows it well.

I have not directly worked with her yet, however, I feel like she has been very responsive, clear, has a lot of information, and she was a previous business owner, so I think she has a good idea of what it takes to make any business succeed. I am putting my trust in her -- that's all you can do!

Here is her website: Chris Clayton - S.V,SLV.,Santa Cruz real estate

I have to admit that I'm kind of freaking out, too! It's the money!!! I have a friend on your end of the country who is also freaking out wondering if she will have enough money. She's even considering Florida now, which I don't think she normally would, but it's cheaper there now (she already sold her condo and is renting), and I think she's getting desperate (she is in NYC).

I just look around at this place and I'm freaked out with all the work that has to be done. I have no clue how I am going to not only "de-clutter," but also just haul out these things -- furniture, etc. I am so frustrated and almost in tears half the time because it is just so overwhelming.

I never imagined this scenario.

Newenglandgirl, if you contact a realtor by email and they do not give you a personal response, and quickly, I'd let them go right away. Some are just trying to make sales and don't care. Others take it seriously. As for property taxes and all, Realtor.com used to have that information on their site, so that when you went in to calculate the mortgage rates, there was also a section about property taxes -- that was very helpful. I've noticed that since they redesigned their site, that it is missing. Maybe a note to them about it would get them to put it back on.

Good luck, and just browse all the listings you see in an area you're interested in and pick the realtor that looks at least like they're trying. I can't stand looking at listings that have no photo, a one-line description, words are misspelled, and it looks like junk. It's like they just tossed it on in five minutes and don't care about their client at all.

I just had a call from Microsoft and they walked me through removing a virus, so I spent the last hour on here, after all -- that's why I checked back in.

All I know is the older I get the more desperate I feel. It's a horrible feeling. It's a panic that overcomes me that makes me feel like I will get no handle on this. With little money, no equity loan, or anything else, I'm truly doing this on my own -- it is daunting!!

Everyone, hang in there. There has just GOT to be a way to help us all!!

Old 03-21-2009, 02:28 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
iveContent, Yes, the car thing is very much on my mind. It's ridiculous to be living in the burbs and have to drive everywhere. What are property taxes like where you are? Would a New Englander have a hard time adjusting in Colorado (I've never been there).
In general, people in CO are friendly, courteous, and nice. If you have a thick NE accent, they might have trouble understanding you. People move in there from all over and like most states with a large incoming population, the old timers are disconcerted by the growth and large population. Mostly it is a reaction to some people wanting to change it to suit them rather than liking it as it is. The generic prejudice in CO is to Texans and more recently Californians. But even then it is more of general thing than anything to do with a real person.

As far as RE sites go, lie in their sign in. They don't know the difference and you don't have to give them anything that is real including your name. I've found some sites that give the property tax. You can also check the Zillow site that usually has the property tax listed. But beware - property taxes can be radically different from what the current owner pays and what a new buyer will have to pay.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:03 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Knox County has a decent realty site run by the local Realty Board. You don't need to register or provide any info to search.
Knoxville Real Estate, Knoxville TN Real Estate, Knoxville Tennessee Real Estate
Most of the listings give property tax -- both city and county where applicable.
Some MLS for condos to check:
646172 - a nice townhouse in Fountain City. Walkable to services and shopping and good bus service under $80,000.
Also 645233, 653323, 648417 are walkable to stores, services, good, safe areas with bus service. All under $140,000.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Thanks Wisteria, Tesaje, and Knox for today's info. I will follow your advice. I just looked around my own 1100-sq-foot house and could cry, too We (me and pets) live very simply with no super heavy furniture, but I keep thinking how I need to get rid of things bc I am NOT going to relocate anywhere w this stuff. Spinet piano (never play), tubs of stuff in attic from the kids' childhoods, dishes and utensils I keep worrying about not being able to afford to replace (replacing everything adds up fast I found on my one big move midwest w everyone)...and I have to admit I'm not only overwhelmed but getting depressed. I don't want another ranch house, etc. I don't want to live in an apt (I have 2 pets) or worry about being dislocated when the landlord sells or raises the rent, do not want to live in typical co-housing (I know i'm whining, but it's all the truth!!). Maybe I just want to get in the car with Fido and a backpack and see where I wind up after 40 years of taking care of everyone and working my butt off! How I wish I had the pension that some folks are blessed to have, as I'd have more choices. I don't need NYC type of culture, been there, done that! But don't want to be out in the boondocks either. Someone could be making a fortune helping folks like us!!

Old 03-21-2009, 03:35 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Letting go of stuff is so hard when you know you can't afford to replace it or if it represents a part of your life that was a lot better than where you are now. Been there, done that.
Once you have something to move toward -- a new life, new area, new place, something postive to go into -- it's a lot easier to give stuff up.
Will your health insurance pay for any mental health counseling, psychologist or group therapy? That might give you the helping hand you need to get started or at least see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:04 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default Letting Go of Stuff.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Letting go of stuff is so hard when you know you can't afford to replace it or if it represents a part of your life that was a lot better than where you are now. Been there, done that.
Once you have something to move toward -- a new life, new area, new place, something postive to go into -- it's a lot easier to give stuff up.
Will your health insurance pay for any mental health counseling, psychologist or group therapy? That might give you the helping hand you need to get started or at least see a light at the end of the tunnel.
It's only STUFF ! Except for precious family & friend photographs, personal health and financial papers, and a couple of family heirlooms....... the rest is stuff that can easily be replaced. I know, cuz I did it

Lived in Miami for over 30 years in the same house
so you can imagine all the stuff I accumulated - but my plan was to move 3k miles out west for a change. After paring down my load, having a huge yard-sale, donating the rest to any charity that would come and take it, I was left with only clothing, personal papers, photos, a couple of small treasures - all of which I sent out west via UPS Ground!!

Then the FUN of finding all new stuff began......... yard sales, thrift shops, antique stores, junk stores, moving-everything-sales...... maybe it's only my community but people are BIG into donating stuff and recycling stuff so it's all very cheap! I furnished my entire home with second-hand stuff (except for the bedding) and I have 3 beautiful antique armoires purchased very, very reasonably, an antique hall-tree and the rest is shabby-chic! - nothing matches

Old 03-21-2009, 04:31 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
It's only STUFF ! Except for precious family & friend photographs, personal health and financial papers, and a couple of family heirlooms....... the rest is stuff that can easily be replaced. I know, cuz I did it

Lived in Miami for over 30 years in the same house
so you can imagine all the stuff I accumulated - but my plan was to move 3k miles out west for a change. After paring down my load, having a huge yard-sale, donating the rest to any charity that would come and take it, I was left with only clothing, personal papers, photos, a couple of small treasures - all of which I sent out west via UPS Ground!!

Then the FUN of finding all new stuff began......... yard sales, thrift shops, antique stores, junk stores, moving-everything-sales...... maybe it's only my community but people are BIG into donating stuff and recycling stuff so it's all very cheap! I furnished my entire home with second-hand stuff (except for the bedding) and I have 3 beautiful antique armoires purchased very, very reasonably, an antique hall-tree and the rest is shabby-chic! - nothing matches
This is what I think I will do. Glad to hear it went so well. I look at my accumulated crap and all I think about now is what a big job it is to clean this junk out. I certainly don't need 4 closets of clothes, most of which I will never wear again and I really don't need the collection of rusty nails I have. I'm glad I'm planning on a year to fix up and clean out after I retire so I can get used to my new life and give myself some time to get all this work done. I've done some cleaning out and each load out makes me feel a little lighter. It is truly amazing how much stuff we accumulate.

When I looked into how expensive it is to move your stuff, I took a different look at the cost of replacement vs moving it. I never thought of UPS ground. That might just be less expensive.

When I think realistically about the stuff I actually use, it isn't nearly as much stuff as I have. There is so much junk that seemed like a good idea at the time but really wasn't. Gotta get over that idea that I need to keep it if it has some usefulness. It's only useful if I actually use it.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
This is interesting with the Junk talk. I am hoping to die, in my sleep, in my home, before I am forced to move---then all my junk, clutter, garbage is for someone else to solve.

Wisteria,

You look great for an OLD BROAD ! Yes, very, very, nice looking.

Just to let everyone know I am a confirmed old Bachelor--not divorced, not windowed, not attached and never been married, no children----I am a Bachelor and I prefer that word. "Single" I do not like it because it defines a identity that from Coupled---Then why do they not say "Double" when you are married???

I am an old fashion happy Bachelor who is not gay, not que&&? not strange, not odd, not a homosexual and definitely a heterosexual, not a eunuch, but I am unique

I am only interested in my own pursuits. Am I a misogynist??? that depends on the irritating female. I can be a Prof. Higgins without my Fair Lady. I can be a Sherlock Holmes with his own passions without the companionship of Watson.

Maybe I am Burns without Allen; Roy riding alone and not with Dale Evans; Ricky without Lucy; and I am certainly no Siegfried who needs Roy.

I live as a Bachelor therefore I
Live Content

Old 03-21-2009, 05:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Default NEG keeps paring down, freaking out, trying to stay calm....

Okay, in terms of stuff (and I've been going thru stuff ALL day long and for the past weeks on end, making progress)...what about the tubs of mementos from when the grown kids were little? The tubs (all four) weigh a ton...what if the grown kids don't want this stuff? I could sit for an entire afternoon reading over their school essays, laughing out loud, etc...and yet there's so much of it that I don't have the time and patience to sort thru it all paper by paper, thing by thing...so if they don't want this (most of them are in apts)....do I chuck it??? or do I say that these things are more important than tubs of practical things, like linens, work samples, etc? I can't keep dragging these tubs of kids' stuff wherever I go, though...they are indeed heavy....
What have others done with grown kids' mementos??

Old 03-21-2009, 05:18 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
re: Wisteria and LiveContent's latest postings

LiveContent, Yes, the car thing is very much on my mind. It's ridiculous to be living in the burbs and have to drive everywhere. What are property taxes like where you are? Would a New Englander have a hard time adjusting in Colorado (I've never been there)...
There are many Easterners here, especially New Yorkers, of course they are everywhere--like roaches. You will have the problem of missing trees, water and green because this area has few trees, much less water and it mostly brown.
However, that means low humidity and that says it all--dry basements, warmer when it cold; cooler when it is hot---sun, sun, sun is the name of the game--that is what defines Colorado and the all of the Southwest.

Yes, taxes are less than most areas of New York which is only one place that I am familiar. All taxes are available from the Official County Assessment and Tax sites. When you find what you need--look it all up.

One problem people do not think about is that many counties reduce taxes for the elderly. My county, Adams, takes 50% of for all assessments less than $200,000 but you have to have been a resident in that home for the previous 10 years and be over 65 years old. So, when I get to that age, I will get some tax relief. So, it makes sense to be in your home when you are 55 yrs. old.

Also, when I reach that magic number, I can defer paying all taxes and it will be an accumulated tax lien on the home with interest, and be collected when it sold by me or my estate. In addition, there are those reverse mortgages that you can get from a HUD program which is better and more secure than those offered by those "shady" people. You then will have more money to live.

You can then cash in on your home value and when you sell it, you will get less. That may be good because with the cash you get for the home that will make you unqualified for many programs, especially nursing care and medicaid. You have to spend down almost all your assets and a home is exempt, but when you are put permanently in a nursing home and you are no longer a resident of the home--it becomes a countable asset. If is sold and you get little or none, than you have less to dispose. Hopefully again, I want to die in my sleep. before I leave my home.

I am just a pile of wisdom or a pile of that fecal matter.
Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.