Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Good advice. I looked at everything when I moved last year.

Did you have a problem with the pods? I used them last year and liked that I could put my own lock on them--no one could get in. My daughter used a moving company and they ripped off her CD collection and because she didn't know it until she had unpacked they would not reimburse her. Who could possibly keep track of every single box that came off the truck?
I've had stuff stolen every time I used commercial movers. I haven't used the pod but I was looking into them a while ago. There are lots of complaints about that particular company but there are other companies with the same or similar concepts. I like the idea also and will consider that when it is time for me to move.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
Great minds think alike. If you are like most of us, it's difficult to get rid of all that 'stuff' we can't set free. ...
my theory on 'stuff'... It should stay with the house... Use a suitcase to move. My junk can't be that much different than the next. Neither they nor I really know what we have and can't find it anyway. (when we THINK we know what we have).

I lost 3 pair of reading glasses in the last week, they must be in the stacks of income tax junk. I should find them by next Wednesday.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
my theory on 'stuff'... It should stay with the house... Use a suitcase to move. My junk can't be that much different than the next. Neither they nor I really know what we have and can't find it anyway. (when we THINK we know what we have).

I lost 3 pair of reading glasses in the last week, they must be in the stacks of income tax junk. I should find them by next Wednesday.
Funny. Trouble is, nobody wants your junk. They only want their own junk.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 PM

84 posts, read 208,778 times
Default Get imaginative with this

I come across listings like the one below sometimes. This one happens to come from the cohousing list, but the property doesn't have to be cohousing. Looks like the poster us a real estate agent into cohousing. How about something like this for community?

Ground floor 4 plex!
This property in the highly walkable Hawthorne neighborhood in Southeast
Portland, Oregon would make a good elder housing or co-housing base. There
are 4 adjacent, attached apartments, all in a row, all ground floor. They
are each 600 square feet plus each has a private basement for storage and
laundry or craft area.

They were built in the 1920s, with hardwood floors and character. They are
one block from a major busline to downtown, 3 blocks to a large grocery
store, and less than a mile from a large, locally owned natural foods store
and a thriving food co-op. Neighborhood cafes abound.

There are small garden spaces and a shared outdoor patio area. Wonderful
neighbors might be interested in cohousing too.

All four are currently rented. Some upgrades have been done, but there is
still room to improve.

This property is not on the market yet. Please contact me if you have
interest. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
my theory on 'stuff'... It should stay with the house... Use a suitcase to move. My junk can't be that much different than the next.
Now a rusty windmilly thing that I hung as a mobile just doesn't constitute junk! Or the rusted hoe end I have hanging on my masonry wall. That's not junk is it? I like your theory. I also get a kick out of some of the things I've gotten rid of. I took a figure sculpture class and made a 3 foot head but it was only partially done - it was made using pieces of strofoam dipped in plaster. Once you got the basic form the idea was to cover it with plaster and you wouldn't see the blocks of strofoam and it wouldn't be extremely heavy. I never finished it and it sat on my front porch for a year. When I moved I had no room in the pods so I was going to trash it but one of the electrians who parked in front of my place every day wanted it. I can just imagine what his wife said when he brought it home!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,821 times
Default Always thinking of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Good! See what happens when you take chances--not only do you realize you have survived, it makes you stronger and more willing to take more chances. That's how you end up in places you thought you'd never be and gaining experiences for those rocking chair days. I always imagine myself sitting on a porch in a rocking chair smiling at my life. Then getting out of the chair and doing something adventurous - even if it is only to cross a road.
DancingEarth, I've always felt you and I are most similar in styles. I'm not always up on your details, but you're always out there makin' it happen. And I laughed, because I do sit outside alot smiling about my life!

Just wanted to let you know how much I've always admired you, and haven't forgotten about your invitations to visit. And, I still plan on meeting up with you, just like I did with Wisteria. In fact, this summer I'll be simply wandering around in my motorhome, mostly in NM because of my state park camping permit that's good till October. So soon, I'll be in touch with you more often, as my road trip starts for the summer. I got no where I need to be, since I now have my home in Yuma, so visiting will be so much fun. See you this summer, I hope!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:05 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
DancingEarth, I've always felt you and I are most similar in styles. I'm not always up on your details, but you're always out there makin' it happen. And I laughed, because I do sit outside alot smiling about my life!

Just wanted to let you know how much I've always admired you, and haven't forgotten about your invitations to visit. And, I still plan on meeting up with you, just like I did with Wisteria. In fact, this summer I'll be simply wandering around in my motorhome, mostly in NM because of my state park camping permit that's good till October. So soon, I'll be in touch with you more often, as my road trip starts for the summer. I got no where I need to be, since I now have my home in Yuma, so visiting will be so much fun. See you this summer, I hope!
That would be fun! Let's go camping -- I'll bring my tent. I'm so jealous that you can do that - I'm really sick of this job lately. So much time making money working with miserable people. Ceramics keeps me sane. I told people at the studio tonight I want to start a pottery commune. I'm looking forward to meeting you! Yipee...it's almost summer.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,821 times
Default About moving...

Quote:

First of all, 'moving companies' have always been out of my budget, so I cannot relate. But I did get the pods once, when I was in between places in San Diego, so I just loaded them, they took them to storage, and months later, they delivered them to my new place, even in the same area. So, yeah, big advantage!

As far as 'stuff and junk': I've always been pretty lucky, or just had a good sense for what's important, what I can't decide on, and what I can get rid of. Like most of us, most of it falls into the 'can't decide' category! But, many years ago I left my stuff with a friend I knew, and not only was it a nightmare (because they had to move), but also because I remember something being put out by the trash because I couldn't get it any sooner, and it was a sentimental piece of furniture my parents gave me, and my dad was no longer alive, so that was really a tough lesson. Since then, I don't get rid of anything until I know I'm ready, and I'd much rather pay for storage for stuff I'm not sure about until I'm ready to unload it.
I'm doing that now, after having my stuff in storage for about 4 years now @ $62 a month. My mom couldn't believe I'd pay that, but I'm glad I did, as feelings change over the years, and some things I tried to get rid--I still have, and I'm sooo glad. Sure, I forget about it when it's out of sight, but when I see it again, I know what's important. Right now, I'm so happy that I've been pulling out the boxes and transporting them back to Yuma, leaving mostly furniture that can all go now that I'm in a small permanent space! Yeayyy! At this point, I might put an ad, and stay in Bullhead City for a couple of days to see what I can sell, then donate the rest.
Just my opinion, but I have things that are silly, but I'm soo glad I hung on to them.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
I come across listings like the one below sometimes. This one happens to come from the cohousing list, but the property doesn't have to be cohousing. Looks like the poster us a real estate agent into cohousing. How about something like this for community?

Ground floor 4 plex!
This property in the highly walkable Hawthorne neighborhood in Southeast
Portland, Oregon would make a good elder housing or co-housing base. There
are 4 adjacent, attached apartments, all in a row, all ground floor. They
are each 600 square feet plus each has a private basement for storage and
laundry or craft area.

They were built in the 1920s, with hardwood floors and character. They are
one block from a major busline to downtown, 3 blocks to a large grocery
store, and less than a mile from a large, locally owned natural foods store
and a thriving food co-op. Neighborhood cafes abound.

There are small garden spaces and a shared outdoor patio area. Wonderful
neighbors might be interested in cohousing too.

All four are currently rented. Some upgrades have been done, but there is
still room to improve.

This property is not on the market yet. Please contact me if you have
interest. Thanks!

Wow! What is the asking price??? What are the property taxes?

Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Anyone heard from Wisteria? I miss her posts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement