Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
fairwinds - sign me up!
Me too! Fairwinds, miruca, mollyblythe all aboard for the PNW---who else is still looking at Oregon/Washington. I think paintdog and mmhere are looking that direction as well. Tesaje and plantlover were you looking at the PNW as well? Anybody else? My memory can't keep up with everybody who has posted interest in this part of the country.

I'm thinking more the coastal area rather than Portland.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:10 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Me too! Fairwinds, miruca, mollyblythe all aboard for the PNW---who else is still looking at Oregon/Washington. I think paintdog and mmhere are looking that direction as well. Tesaje and plantlover were you looking at the PNW as well? Anybody else? My memory can't keep up with everybody who has posted interest in this part of the country.

I'm thinking more the coastal area rather than Portland.
Yup. Still thinking about it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 AM

73 posts, read 299,607 times
Default PNW looking too

I'm still looking. I looked at a lot of places around the Kitsap Peninsula when I was there. I had been looking at Sequim on line and really liked what I saw. It is semi rural. It is a smaller town, good shopping, good city planning, an aquatic and recreational center, small marina, great walking biking trails. We stayed in some cottages across from the bay and saw bald eagles every day and watched the deer roam the neighborhoods unfettered and unafraid of people. You can see Mt Baker and the mountains in the distance and smell the ocean at the same time. It is quite rainy there but not as much as other places on the coast. It is a place for those who prefer cooler climates. Prices are going down some but are still high compared to my neck of the woods. I hated leaving there. Told of my bad experience with Windermere Realtor but will try another agency in the future. It was definitely worth my while to go out there and see it.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Minervah, Where have you explored in terms of new places to live? What have you found out about your options?

~~NewEnglGirl
I am just beginning to explore so I am open to suggestions. A friend recently moved to Sacramento Ca and loves it. I have some family in LA so we would be closer but LA itself is not for me. I was thinking also believe it or not of Cleveland. Weather obviously is not a factor for me. The only weather criteria I have is not a lot of sun and humidity. Winters are fine. For me, jobs, public transportation and cultural offerings are most impotant. And oh, it wouldn't hurt to have a major league baseball team in the mix.

I like four seasons and medium size citities. Oregon would be fine if I wanted to live in the woods but I don't. I like to visit the ocean and the forests and leave them there. I have never roughed it more than a Red Lion Hotel.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. So far Minneapolis does meet my criteria for most things. The high tax thing is ok. Oregon's tax is high too but wages if one is lucky enough to have a job are pretty low.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Default Cleveland...

Everything I hear about Cleveland and all the crime reports puts Cleveland extremely high for crime. The city has been doing poorly for a long time. My ex is from there - he moved back a couple years ago due to family illness and he so wants to come back here (we email occasionally).

I got your DM. Stay in touch and let me know what your plans are and how I might help. I have family staying here until......................who knows so I don't have anymore room at the inn (1 senior, 2 parents and 2 TEENAGERS!!!! oh, and 2 more dogs - I already have 2 so I'm violating city "laws" but I think I can talk my way out of any trouble it may cause)

Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
I like Minneapolis -- in the summer! I've been there several times and enjoyed it. Lovely downtown, good bus service, nice rural areas not far from the city.
Indianapolis is a nice medium sized city with a good downtown. Close to a lot of things and a moderate cost of living.
Cincinnati is a pretty river city with a lot of things going on. Not as gritty and industrial as Cleveland.
If you really don't mind the cold, maybe Syracuse, NY?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
What about Iowa City or Des Moines. I know that part of IC had terrible flooding last year, but buying on high ground away from the river would negate that. I hear great things about that part of the country. IC is quite liberal, inexpensive, etc. I will try to find a link to photos of IC.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Have your thought about Saratoga Springs, New York?

Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
I'm a dog friendly, laid back sort of Hippie type from the 60's. Never did the drug scene, mostly whole foods, meditation, music and love. I believe in self-sufficiency and creating support networks.
Being a dog lover, Oregon gets my vote. They may not like us California natives, but I'm not from Orange County!
I'm animal friendly, laid back,mostly from the 70's, into meditation, music, love, but I was definitely into the drug scene, and OH NO, I AM FROM ORANGE COUNTY! But don't hold it against me, I'm a nice person who's always been a wanderer to this day, never turned conservative or rich... no apology necessary!
Those early baby boomers from Orange County took their vast quantities of money from their super inflated home prices and went fourth among the nation, leaving malcontent in their wake among the local natives. Locals were priced out of their life long homes because they had no prop 13 (California) to protect them from the inflated home prices in their sacred nook. County tax assessors went crazy! After the dust settled from the first round of baby boomers, Californians weren't welcomed anywhere. The baby boomers saw nirvana and loved it to death. They tried to change it to suit their whims. This made the locals very unhappy. Now round two baby boomers are searching for nirvana. We want low taxes, low crime, good weather, dog friendly, beautiful scenery, local culture, medical facilities, place to grow a garden, not in the flood plain, no tornados, volcanoes, not too much snow, close proximity to a Costco, sense of community and the list goes on. I know because that's what I'm looking for too. If it doesn't exist already, somewhere, we'll have to make it exist. You ladies game? We can make it happen...There's an Amtrak train called the "Empire Builder", we can do this! This has been a pep cheering ralley promoted by another single female retiring soon. (Hope they give me a Golden Handshake! )
Fairwinds

Old 04-15-2009, 02:51 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Default made my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdog52 View Post
Anomaly
I always enjoy how you express yourself - I'm always saying to myself when I read your post "I get it".
What an awesome compliment! I always think about Wisteria, and another friend of mine, and I'm flattered to be in that category of writers!
Seriously, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.