Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM

84 posts, read 208,778 times

Advertisements

OK -- about the topic of getting older and losing the ability to take care of yourself.

Isn't that one of the big reasons why we are looking for others like ourselves? I'm looking for a place with people where I can enjoy the environment as long as I can. If other people in the 'community' become ill or break something, the others help out.

Personally, I have no children or relatives to come take care of me when I can't care for myself. That's why I'd like to find people in a somewhat similar situation -- we can help out each other together.

I need to define what I mean when I talk about building community. I'm not referring to the traditional development like the Villages for older people. You must have money to live there, and, well, others have made good/bad points about it. I'm talking about making a community.

If a few of us decide to relocate to the same place, we can help each other in the transition. We might even find some sort of housing where more of us can reside -- like a lot with a granny cottage in back, or a duplex. Some of us can't afford to buy both land and house, but we could pay rent to someone else who needs help with their mortgage in exchange for sharing the house.

Personally, I'd like to find a place where I could construct a small house -- about 800 square feet -- that's very close to other similar people so we can share gardening tools, rides to an appointment, etc. Another way of simplifying your life is to let go of things you don't need all the time. It's also nice to grow a garden with several others involved.

I have friends on another list who are very much into living small. They are exploring the possibility of buying some RV or Mobile Home parks in several areas of the U.S. It is land that allows for the location of multiple homes of various sizes. Some of them live in homes that are constructed on a trailer. It's sometimes difficult to find a location to temporarily park their house while visiting friends. If there are several villages, these people could relocate to another small house park. (This is an example.)

I posted here about a group of small homes (existing, side by side) that may be up for sale in Portland. Someone had suggested it would be a good setup to form a cohousing project. You also could buy/rent a structure like this almost anywhere and not form a formal cohousing project if you liked.

There's a large apartment building in Portland that's been bought by people in a cohousing project. There are multiple units in this building, plus an empty lot next door for gardening or other uses. Maybe that's where they will locate their common house -- I don't know. The same thing could be done without making it cohousing.

I read something this morning about people looking for cul-de-sac streets where people in their community group could buy or rent. It's a natural setup for everyone forming close ties and helping each other.

A community can be set up almost anywhere, barring big geographical distances. ;-) So when someone talks about a 55+ retirement community here, I'd like to know if they mean a developer-created park located around a golf course, or if it is women in that age range trying to form community in one place. I'm open to any definitions. Just don't want there to be any misunderstandings.

OK. I'm done.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Cool Wagons Ho! for the Pacific Northwest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Me too! Fairwinds, miruca, mollyblythe all aboard for the PNW---who else is still looking at Oregon/Washington. I think paintdog and mmhere are looking that direction as well. Tesaje and plantlover were you looking at the PNW as well? Anybody else? My memory can't keep up with everybody who has posted interest in this part of the country.

I'm thinking more the coastal area rather than Portland.
Count me in. Things are less expensive in Vancouver, WA which is near Portland. There are many, many smaller towns as you get farther away from Portland westward. I'm still more partial to the Puget Sound area. The coast of Oregon is beautiful, but a bit isolated by the mountain range.

How about if we try to pick a place to rent/stay and set out to explore?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
Hey! That's where I want to go - at least part-time (in summers). Thinking of finding a mobile/modular home in a 50+ community in Eugene. Going there in June to scout it out!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM

Default Exploring Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdog52 View Post
I'm still looking. I looked at a lot of places around the Kitsap Peninsula when I was there. I had been looking at Sequim on line and really liked what I saw. It is semi rural. It is a smaller town, good shopping, good city planning, an aquatic and recreational center, small marina, great walking biking trails. We stayed in some cottages across from the bay and saw bald eagles every day and watched the deer roam the neighborhoods unfettered and unafraid of people. You can see Mt Baker and the mountains in the distance and smell the ocean at the same time. It is quite rainy there but not as much as other places on the coast. It is a place for those who prefer cooler climates. Prices are going down some but are still high compared to my neck of the woods. I hated leaving there. Told of my bad experience with Windermere Realtor but will try another agency in the future. It was definitely worth my while to go out there and see it.
I'm with you -- agree with all the stuff you've mentioned. I drove up there a few years back and stayed with friends on Whidbey Island (beautiful). I ventured up the coast and found quite a few places that might be workable. You are correct, though, about prices. Everything there is less expensive than California, but very expensive when compared to prices in most states. I particularly liked Bellingham, WA. There is a state university there and the down is very quaint. Also, the further north you go from Seattle, the less expensive it gets.

Sequim is beautiful. I'd love to be close enough to the Olympic Forest to do day hikes or fishing trips.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Talking Want to trade places? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am just beginning to explore so I am open to suggestions. A friend recently moved to Sacramento Ca and loves it. I have some family in LA so we would be closer but LA itself is not for me.
California native here. Born and raised in L.A. and living in Sacramento for past 25 years. Driving to L.A. is quite a stretch. Airfares have doubled in recent years. It's actually a large city, but still has a bit of that one-horse-town feeling. Do you like 100+ degree weather? Fog for weeks at a time?

Quote:
I was thinking also believe it or not of Cleveland. Weather obviously is not a factor for me. The only weather criteria I have is not a lot of sun and humidity. Winters are fine.
SHUT UP!!! I've also considered Cleveland -- west side near lake. The only people left in my 'family' live there, but we never were close. I wondered about the cold and snow. If I had to go somewhere (like a job) but had to dig out my car first -- how would I feel about that? It's located near the water so I could do some sailing. It's far enough east that I could explore the 'other' side of the country. But it is humid there. Economically speaking, there are only a few other states that have homes priced lower than in Cleveland -- some great buys there.

Quote:
For me, jobs, public transportation and cultural offerings are most impotant. And oh, it wouldn't hurt to have a major league baseball team in the mix.
California is not much on public transportation in L.A. or Sacramento. We do have a light rail, but it's limited. For the moment we have a pretty good female softball team. Sacramento is said to be the softball capital of the U.S. But no major league, unless you consider the Kings in basketball. Many people here go in groups to San Francisco and Oakland for their major sports fixes.

I think there is lots of culture here, but I've heard other people complain that there isn't enough. Unemployment here is in double digits now. When things turn around, the jobs tend to show up quicker in California than most other states. Let me know if you plan a visit. Exactly where do your friends live?

Quote:
I like four seasons and medium size citities. Oregon would be fine if I wanted to live in the woods but I don't. I like to visit the ocean and the forests and leave them there. I have never roughed it more than a Red Lion Hotel.
We do have four seasons, but summer is the main one. We generally have a short winter. Isn't unusual to be sunny and 80 degrees on Christmas Day. Today it's in the 50s, but with very strong winds. Even when it rains, I seldom wear a heavy coat or sweater. Spring is our shortest season. It lasts about 2 to 3 weeks. Then everything around us turns brown and very dry. That's when we get the forest fires.

Portland might be good for you to try. It's bigger than Sacramento, has a thriving downtown area, and is overrun with culture. It mainly has lots of suburbs, some a bit more rural than others. The Columbia River is very nice and is the boarder between Oregon and Washington. You can follow it out to the coast.

Quote:
If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. So far Minneapolis does meet my criteria for most things. The high tax thing is ok. Oregon's tax is high too but wages if one is lucky enough to have a job are pretty low.
I've thought about Minneapolis. Know it has LOTS of culture. Not sure how I'd feel about the winters. If finding a job is very important, that might be key in your choice on the West Coast. Actually, my best suggestion for you would be San Francisco! It's beautiful, mild weather, more job opportunities than in Sac or Portland, wonderful culture, but tres expensive real estate. This would be the time to buy in SF or the Bay Area. Prices are lower than they have been in a very long time.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,821 times
Default Congratulations, PNW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Me too! Fairwinds, miruca, mollyblythe all aboard for the PNW---who else is still looking at Oregon/Washington. I think paintdog and mmhere are looking that direction as well. Tesaje and plantlover were you looking at the PNW as well? Anybody else? My memory can't keep up with everybody who has posted interest in this part of the country.

I'm thinking more the coastal area rather than Portland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Yup. Still thinking about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
Count me in. Things are less expensive in Vancouver, WA which is near Portland. There are many, many smaller towns as you get farther away from Portland westward. I'm still more partial to the Puget Sound area. The coast of Oregon is beautiful, but a bit isolated by the mountain range.

How about if we try to pick a place to rent/stay and set out to explore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Hey! That's where I want to go - at least part-time (in summers). Thinking of finding a mobile/modular home in a 50+ community in Eugene. Going there in June to scout it out!
Ok, guess my post disappeared this afternoon so I'll say it again
Yeayyy, It's about time the PNW consortium gets 'consorting'! Get us a summer spot, and we, The NM peppers will have a winter spot to meet up!!
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-7505xjc54lf3np.gif  

Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 PM

384 posts, read 990,317 times
mmhere - re your post on community ... I'm aboard with your definition - I'm into making community work in a manner that is less expensive and more creative than the traditional over 55 villages. I like small efficient space - 800 square feet sounds perfect if designed correctly. I do not think, however, that I want an RV or manufactured home situation. Nor do necessarily want it limited to women - I just like interesting, creative people of all ages. Many of my roomates have been in their 20 or 30's and it works out great.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
OK -- about the topic of getting older and losing the ability to take care of yourself.

Isn't that one of the big reasons why we are looking for others like ourselves? I'm looking for a place with people where I can enjoy the environment as long as I can. If other people in the 'community' become ill or break something, the others help out.

Personally, I have no children or relatives to come take care of me when I can't care for myself. That's why I'd like to find people in a somewhat similar situation -- we can help out each other together.

I need to define what I mean when I talk about building community. I'm not referring to the traditional development like the Villages for older people. You must have money to live there, and, well, others have made good/bad points about it. I'm talking about making a community.

If a few of us decide to relocate to the same place, we can help each other in the transition. We might even find some sort of housing where more of us can reside -- like a lot with a granny cottage in back, or a duplex. Some of us can't afford to buy both land and house, but we could pay rent to someone else who needs help with their mortgage in exchange for sharing the house.

Personally, I'd like to find a place where I could construct a small house -- about 800 square feet -- that's very close to other similar people so we can share gardening tools, rides to an appointment, etc. Another way of simplifying your life is to let go of things you don't need all the time. It's also nice to grow a garden with several others involved.

I have friends on another list who are very much into living small. They are exploring the possibility of buying some RV or Mobile Home parks in several areas of the U.S. It is land that allows for the location of multiple homes of various sizes. Some of them live in homes that are constructed on a trailer. It's sometimes difficult to find a location to temporarily park their house while visiting friends. If there are several villages, these people could relocate to another small house park. (This is an example.)

I posted here about a group of small homes (existing, side by side) that may be up for sale in Portland. Someone had suggested it would be a good setup to form a cohousing project. You also could buy/rent a structure like this almost anywhere and not form a formal cohousing project if you liked.

There's a large apartment building in Portland that's been bought by people in a cohousing project. There are multiple units in this building, plus an empty lot next door for gardening or other uses. Maybe that's where they will locate their common house -- I don't know. The same thing could be done without making it cohousing.

I read something this morning about people looking for cul-de-sac streets where people in their community group could buy or rent. It's a natural setup for everyone forming close ties and helping each other.

A community can be set up almost anywhere, barring big geographical distances. ;-) So when someone talks about a 55+ retirement community here, I'd like to know if they mean a developer-created park located around a golf course, or if it is women in that age range trying to form community in one place. I'm open to any definitions. Just don't want there to be any misunderstandings.

OK. I'm done.
mmhere, Just wanted to mention how this topic has been discussed in depth many times in this thread. But because the thread has gotten soooo long over time, and some pple come and go, you may not be one of those who've read back over the ENTIRE thread (and there ARE a few who do that! )
Or maybe you have read most of it, and you're just keeping the dream alive . Anyway, I just wanted to say, I'm still in for those ideas --when we actually get some action going. Seems most of us want what you're talking about, but
some admit they don't think they can actually give up what they have,
some are more like our 'practical advisors' (like Janb), but the biggest problems seem to be:
1. location, location, location! No one is able to agree.
2. different timings, some have to wait for house to sell or leave work, and of course,
3. The BAD ECONOMY hit everyone by surprise.

I, in the meantime, took my steps (bought a trailer in cash, moved to a place I like), so I'm in no hurry now, like I was for awhile. But, I still say all the things you mentioned are important enough to keep the dream alive, and I'm ready to move somewhere with someone here who says they're ready too.
So, I stepped out of the lead for making things happen, but I love to see you keeping that dream alive. The choices I made still set me up in a situation that allows me to move my home (my trailer) whenever others start to take some action.

Re: "A community can be set up almost anywhere, barring big geographical distances."
Au contraire... we're doing it right here! A supportive community can form long distance, which is where I to keep us all pumped up, and excited about simply meeting up, since it's doubtful we'll all decide on the same place to live ...wait for that, and you may as well wait forever!
So, get that PNW group moving into action, mmhere! Talk will get you closer, but only action will get you moved!!!
Keep up the good work, mm!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
mmhere - re your post on community ... I'm aboard with your definition - I'm into making community work in a manner that is less expensive and more creative than the traditional over 55 villages. I like small efficient space - 800 square feet sounds perfect if designed correctly. I do not think, however, that I want an RV or manufactured home situation. Nor do necessarily want it limited to women - I just like interesting, creative people of all ages. Many of my roomates have been in their 20 or 30's and it works out great.
Ok, Once again, Miruca, this stuff's all been said before, which just shows most of us really want a similar concept, including the men thing.
Now why aren't more of you moving on these ideas?
No one's even talking on the phone??
I don't mean to sound rude, but after 3 or 4 times of saying the same thing, I don't understand the lack of progress.
If we're just happy sharing ideas, then let's just say that. But for those who are planning on making this reality,
What is really stopping most of you??

Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Ok, Once again, Miruca, this stuff's all been said before, which just shows most of us really want a similar concept, including the men thing.
Now why aren't more of you moving on these ideas?
No one's even talking on the phone??
I don't mean to sound rude, but after 3 or 4 times of saying the same thing, I don't understand the lack of progress.
If we're just happy sharing ideas, then let's just say that. But for those who are planning on making this reality,
What is really stopping most of you??
Anomoly,
I hear your frustration. Some of us are relatively (and fortunately!) "unfettered"...more adventurous and free spirits, able to adapt easily to all kinds of new situations and "risks." Others, like me, are still tied to the roles of "wife, mother, elderly caretaker," etc. and by sheer necessity tied to places that are still supplying some kind of income. The latter group is less likely to be able to take that leap into joining in on the ideas that have been going around on this thread, re: "community."

For ex, I love the idea of it, but in no way can relocate to where most of you are talking about....the West Coast. Health issues, family proximity, low income (cannot afford to travel to see family), and the need to keep making a living off the networking I've established are all major reasons why I haven't jumped on the community bandwagon....even though in my twenties I experienced community (this was land-based wholistic) and know all the pros and cons. We know what we want...that's a first step, but everyone's needs WITHIN that shared goal are strikingly different. I've heard talk of PNW, CA, Cleveland, etc etc...those are VERY different geographies and lifestyles. Some of us are also worried about property tax, and all kinds of hidden costs in a new location. It's complicated!

Not to mention the talk recently here about The Villages...

It may be easier for a lot of us if the community were already formed and the parameters/ground rules of the community were already in place. I know, I know...you're going to say "WE need to make it happen!" I hear you, believe me! But there are leaders and there are followers, and each needs the other in order to survive.

I just can't believe that with all the "developers" out there, someone with some brains hasn't figured out a way to give us what we want...NOT gated communities, pricey 55+ yuppie communities, cookie cutter condo communities....why isn't someone with some $ and smarts figuring out that we could use something truly alternative and unique?

I was hot on ElderSpirit for a while until I found out that if and when you sell your unit, you are bound to give back 50% of your proceeds to the community! Ridiculous! So down went yet another idea.

Maybe those who want to start some action should call a "summit" for sometime this summer, someplace in the Midwest ? where forum folks could get together and start talking in person. The idea of creating an intentional community from scratch may prove daunting, and so mayb e there's other kinds of intentional c's where people just live in the same city in different places and support one another...but then there's the transporation problem as we get older. So, it's more complicated than what meets the eye. I'm not saying it can't be done...it can! It just needs some realistic discussion of ideas and needs.

Sounds like several here on this thread have similar needs and goals and are attracted to a specific region such as PNW. Maybe it's a small group that gets things going...like the pilgrims! But I agree w you, it's now or never!

~~NewEnglGirl

Last edited by RiverBird; 04-16-2009 at 07:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement