Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times

Advertisements

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/dancingearth/2000.gif (broken link)

Old 05-16-2009, 08:53 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
It's great you are so open. The first time I moved here was for a job and it felt very strange for awhile. Now I love it. I really like how the houses are built on slabs and you don't have to go up steps to get inside. It feels very connected to the earth. Also good for getting old in. Mostly they are one floor and open floor plans. The one I'm in now is the best use of space of any I've lived in. For 1,100 sq feet it feels bigger. I don't know how they are in Las Cruces though. When I looked in Rio Rancho the houses did nothing for me. Weird layouts. I do wish I had french doors in this one going to the yard. It's one defect.

I came home tonight and started digging and figuring out where to put the plants I bought today. Planted a Boston Ivy in the barren backyard. It's the second plant to go in there--the first was rhubarb. I plant a rhubarb wherever I am living. It's my midwest roots. Tomorrow I'm planting a Pacific Sunset Maple so I can start growing some shade for my future pergola and then a butterfly bush, mountain mahogany, manzanita, and some annuals for color. Then dig the arroyo and start the terraced garden. I've got a busy summer. Sam's Club had a little garden bridge I want to over over the arroyo to the pergola. I'm growing roots here--feels good.
Ohhh, the garden sounds magnificent. I do miss a garden, although I've been doing potted plants. And I know the 'bridge' you're talking about! I want one too, but here in the desert, I would fill the 'creek' underneath it with blue rocks for water. Growing roots is so comforting, isn't it?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 AM

Default Keep on Meetin' Up!!

Congratulations, ladies, on another meetup! We are becoming the vision I've seen for so long. I knew we could do this!!
Anomoly & Wisteria
DancingEarth & Karcon
MN2CO & Minerva

Any others in the works??

For me, it will be DancingEarth this summer, and maybe 'M'. I've also met highdesertmutz from the TrC thread.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Default I've started my BLOG!!!

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I've started my 'summer' blog with a couple of 'pre-trip' entries.
Enjoy.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I just got home from my meet-up with Minervah - what a joy! I picked her up downtown and then we walked a long - long time downtown so she could learn how to not get lost there.

The we drove out my area - drove past my house, looked at various senior apts and potential places for employment. We had lunch at my favorite place Edina Convention Grill - homemade malts, fabulous French fries, burgers - the good stuff (I know some of you are turning green!) When she goes back to Portland and they ask what she did, she'll respond that I tried to kill her with food!! As we waddled away we made plans for Sunday - we'll head out to Lake Minnetonka.

Then we hit Lake Harriet on the way back downtown so she could see the REAL mansions (as opposed to the McMansions of today.)

Minervah was a real joy to show around - so easy to please. I hated leaving her alone downtown but am looking forward to seeing her again!
LOL! I am on the hotel provided computer and I have to type fast because it's timed. I am having a great time stuffing myself and sight seeing and MN2CO is awesome!!!! I like this town.

PNW-TYPGal, this computer won't let me get into my PM's because they are pop ups. I will look at your message when I can.

Bye for now. Next week I am on to Toronto and my Bro-in-law's 'puter where I can type as long as I want or he allows me.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:10 AM

205 posts, read 397,305 times
Wisteria - you missed being the 2000th post! With how busy your life is I'm sure we might have been silent for a while saving 2000 for you. But you did get on page 200!!! I'm am so glad you started this whole thing. Congratulations to all for keeping this going, and I thank god for finding this thread.

Well, I did it. I found my house/townhouse. Was preapproved so that was step one. Step two was finding the right house and having them accept my counter - which they did. Steps three and four - completing the paperwork/loan process/closing and moving. It was the last house I looked at on Thursday. That was my self-imposed deadline. If I didn't find the one then, I was taking that apartment. Now guess what? I'm terrified - am I doing the right thing? What have I gotten myself into? Moving -OMG!! Do what I always do - stop and breath. Exciting and scary time. Wish me luck with this process (and any advice given is well excepted). I have not bought a house on my own in 29 years!!!! Gave that up to move here in '86 and have rented ever since. I also have to look at the practical side - the rebate given this year, the tax advantage, and Florida also has a homestead exemption. Emotional/practical, practical/emotional - and the world goes round.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:28 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
It is huge, Karcon. Congratulations. I felt that way when I bought a house too. I just couldn't get over writing such a big check. Scary. But exhilarating too. But remember, a house can always be sold later if you find it isn't the right thing for you in the end. It isn't for forever if you decide it isn't so ... breathe.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 PM

Congratulations, Karcon! Where will you be living?

Old 05-17-2009, 12:28 PM

205 posts, read 397,305 times
Tesaje/Anomoly; Thanks both of you. I am staying here in Florida, just one town over. Tesaje, you are so right. Not wanting to repeat myself (but -----), I kind of feel like Dorothy - after much looking, longing, and journey I finally decided "there's no place like home" (at least for now). Sometimes we have to take smaller steps just to get moving (literally) and then the giant steps come. Getting out of this house, making a decision to move forward is the beginning. Somewhere down the road when I've lightened my load (mentally, spirtually, and literally) I will then be ready for the next chapter. This isn't the end -- just the beginning! Like you said, Tesaje, things aren't for ever and they can change, and I feel that I now have the power of control over that.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You might want to run her by Becketwood co-op, Becketwood (several residents in their 50's and still working, but average age is ~78 as seniors in co-ops live independently to quite an old age )
The setting is pretty enticing for MSP abode, Interior and grounds are really nice, amenities and activities great. This week I toured it & 7500 York as well as many other senior co-ops in MSP and rural areas (currently in Fairmont, MN). I hope to get to see a new co-op (under construction) in Rochester, MN tomorrow. It looks to be one of most affordable and on a large site, overlooking river.
River Bluff Cooperative Living at Elton Hills
Back to Portland tomorrow night (I hate to think I just missed one of our 80 sunny days/ yr, but...Gotta love those $69 SWA flights)
Hotel computer again. Sorry to have missed you SR. I like the idea of most folks around me being 78 or so. It makes me one of the youngest if I mover there.

Today we checked out neighborhoods. Some very nice ones. So far I am impressed. Of course I have the nicest guide in the world who worries about me when I am on my own. But I am fine; I only got lost 5 times in the Skyway this afternoon but I found an Applebee's. LOL!

And a very nice guard had pity on my after I had passed his way about 6 times, he actually gave me a map of the skyways. After that I only got lost twice. I am improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement