Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 05:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Didn't we discuss this idea of a group writing project, about a hundred-or-so pages ago
Well, we could each write our own chapter under our pen names, DM them to me and I'll format them into a manuscript to send to potential publishers.

ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF ANY POTENTIAL PUBLISHERS????

After each taking our cuts, we will donate a portion to a worthy cause (that would be us, right?).

Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Default writing projects

Quote:
Didn't we discuss this idea of a group writing project, about a hundred-or-so pages ago
Yes, LOL, I think we've discussed just about everything under the sun!
I suppose it's like putting something on the table to see if someone picks it up. The common themes are never forgotten, just put back on the table again. I have a feeling - and a hope, that at some point, the most popular ones will eventually be picked up and pursued vigorously enough that we will all join in.

So, NEG, let's see if you're the one to get the ball rolling. You could even post them as individual 'blogposts', if you can figure out an easy way to access and read through each one. (i think all blogs simply identify the poster as author, so it would look like they're all your writings, if you don't mark them)
I am always interested in the various "Writing Projects" that get mentioned here from time to time. So count me in if you want help establishing or coordinating such a project.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Why not use a social group for the writings? Either a completely new one or revive the one, retired singles, that many already belong to.

At least start some writing, then people can work on improving their style or going into more detail at a later time and/or place. But that might help get the ball rolling. And since some of us find it harder to overcome inertia with the passing years something simple and a bit familiar might be easiest and fun too.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Why not use a social group for the writings? Either a completely new one or revive the one, retired singles, that many already belong to.

At least start some writing, then people can work on improving their style or going into more detail at a later time and/or place. But that might help get the ball rolling. And since some of us find it harder to overcome inertia with the passing years something simple and a bit familiar might be easiest and fun too.
Remind me about social groups.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:06 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Click on My Settings in the upper left, then look down the left side of that screen and find Social Groups. I just made a short post in the Retired Singles groups so that it is now on the first page.

It was started by ConeyIslandBabe

Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Cool Social Group - RETIRED SINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Click on My Settings in the upper left, then look down the left side of that screen and find Social Groups. I just made a short post in the Retired Singles groups so that it is now on the first page.

It was started by ConeyIslandBabe
Yes, zugor...... the group RETIRED SINGLES started off with enthusiasm, but then died down for lack of interest but it's still there ..... waiting for some new input. I like the ability to post photos there

Old 07-01-2009, 03:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Well, I am a lamebrain when it comes to tech things online. I don't know anything about blogs, social groups, etc and would probably wind up screwing it up. BUT.....I've been a prof writer/editor in my day, and have designed and put together/gotten printed books for clients, and also....BONUS....I still teach some unusual creative writing classes for adults (group process)....so I could be central, but I know very little about finding publishers. Maybe you folks could put some feelers out for that. In the meantime, ANOMOLY gave me a great short list of q's for us all, and I can add to each of the q's some writing prompts to jumpstart our writing. As soon as I hear from her again we'll get the ball rolling. One of the things we need: readers/screeners, someone impartial who will pass on the best pieces to me or whomever, and kindly thank those who weren't chosen. There would have to be a couple of factors re: what pieces get chosen. If the pieces are on the shorter side, we could accommodate more. In this kind of book, women readers would want us to say things we wouldn't normally say in our real-life situations , in other words, be completely candid about our lives. We could protect our identities by using our online names. OK, who's volunteering to screen the submissions???

Quote:
Yes, zugor...... the group RETIRED SINGLES started off with enthusiasm, but then died down for lack of interest but it's still there ..... waiting for some new input. I like the ability to post photos there

Last edited by RiverBird; 07-01-2009 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times

Yes, we did. I think it was so long ago that we still had our 401ks then. THAT'S how long ago it was............

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 PM

384 posts, read 990,193 times
The writing project was discussed but it seem that each discussion takes us incrementally closer to action

I'd love to help. I have a friend who has been vigorously pursing publishing his book - I will follow up with him to get some suggestions on that process. In addition, I would volunteer to read/screen. Although I think we need pieces to be read/screened by more than one person. Perhaps two or three could read/ screen the same pieces and then make a collaborative decision on whether it's in or out.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 PM

384 posts, read 990,193 times
karcon - I hope you enjoy your new home. Winter Park is a beautiful area.

Re books by older women - years ago in my thirties I found "The Measure of My Days" written by Florida Scott Maxwell at around age 80. It is still one of my favorite books.

I think a book compiled from many people would be especially interesting because the many styles (humourous, joyful, serious and piercing, and just everyday helpful) are likely to touch many different kinds of readers. It is also enlightening to look at things from various perspectives that are different from our own nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement