Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 01:34 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina71 View Post
I was researching and stumbled across this forum ~ loved reading portions of it. Y'all are too cute !

I'm not retirement age and no, I'm not looking for a place to go but I wanted to chime in.

For starters, I've lived in Maryland, Virginia, California (beach area), Boulder, Colorado and Alabama

I'd pick Alabama in a heartbeat ! Please keep it a secret, we like that people are so surprised when they visit.

Carry on and I'll be back to check up on your happenings -- and join in discussions about flowers (I do love impatiens !)

C.

Please, do tell us what you like about Alabama. I am open to all options!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Please, do tell us what you like about Alabama. I am open to all options!
Where is Alabama? (jk)

I always loved the sound of that name, wondering where it came from?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I think it's from the native Americans who were there originally, like so many of our names and words.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 AM

384 posts, read 990,193 times
Great News! Knoxgarden knows exactly what to do about setting us up with a web site and to set security for privacy. Yahoo. It will take a little bit of time given schedules and the workload...but she'll get us there!

In the meantime - you can send your writings to WomenWisdom@live.com or - if you want to wait and see whether we will be posting directly to the web site (haven't worked all those details out yet). We may still collect the stories via email and then one person will post to the web site. Even if we can post direclty to the site, we will still need some reader/editors to pull all the pieces together for our book venture.

Details details ... but we're moving! Thanks Knoxgarden!

Any word from Wisteria to anyone yet????

Old 07-08-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Great News! Knoxgarden knows exactly what to do about setting us up with a web site and to set security for privacy. Yahoo. It will take a little bit of time given schedules and the workload...but she'll get us there!

In the meantime - you can send your writings to WomenWisdom@live.com or - if you want to wait and see whether we will be posting directly to the web site (haven't worked all those details out yet). We may still collect the stories via email and then one person will post to the web site. Even if we can post direclty to the site, we will still need some reader/editors to pull all the pieces together for our book venture.

Details details ... but we're moving! Thanks Knoxgarden!

Any word from Wisteria to anyone yet????

Wonderful news! This will open up a whole new avenue for us to write and to share our writings. I can't wait to view the pieces!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Default Thanks!

Knox & Miruca - good work!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I haven't had time to go through all the old posts. Big thanks to the hugs, and encouragement and good words from you all!! It really does help me to get through -- even though I may not have been able to post lately, I have not forgotten these wonderful women.

I don't have time right now, even, to post -- I am leaving the house in about 30 minutes. My 19-year-old daughter is visiting me! Yippee!! She really did not realize all that I have done and gone through, and I think she was pretty surprised (which is good!).

Okay, I will give more details later, but let me say....someone bought my house -- for cash! They are coming today to do the inspections. It was sold "as is," which seems to be the going thing around here because many of us don't have back-up money to make repairs.

This couple is the one I envisioned: young, starting a young family, fell in love with this place, and even wrote me a letter saying so -- which my realtor would not let me see until we actually did the deal -- I will post more on it, because it made me cry -- it was that touching and sweet. This will be a wonderful place for them to start their young lives and have a family.
(A relative "gifted" them the money to purchase the home, so I got MUCH less than I asked.)

Because I received so little for the house (after I pay off the mortgage, which I needed to get off my back), I had so little money that I could not....ironically....move to New Mexico!! All plans down the drain. I could not believe it. I became frantic, "Where will I go? I can't afford now to quit my job for a couple of years; I can't afford a home in New Mexico without a mortgage; rents are sky-high; what will I do?"

I found one for a price I could "afford"(being a relative term, as you know!). However, I can make the payments and the space fee. The park is gorgeous -- beautiful tropical flowers and plants around each home (one of the park rules -- must be beautiful! Seriously.) I can only have ONE pet, which is depressing, but at the same time, I realize I am too overwhelmed to take on as many animals as I had. I have someone who will take Koko in a town north of Sacramento -- I wish he understood English, so he would be more prepared. I am taking one cat with me, and the other cat, my daughter and boyfriend will take. Which leaves my outdoor cat, a pure-bred ragdoll who loves to live outdoors (all white, blue eyes) that needs a home where he can go in and out.

My daughter could not believe it. She kept saying, "Mom, you're going to live in a resort! You can walk to the beach! You're in Santa Cruz! It's unbelievable!" It is very weird to realize it. I can't move in until August 7th, but I have sooooo much to do still. So, the irony is that I felt I must leave California because it was too expensive, yet, here I found a home less expensive than New Mexico, surrounded by palm trees and sunshine, and just minutes to the beach!! How weird is that??

I will post photos and all later, and describe more. I will still have painting inside to do, and things like that, but it is quite a switch from the shady redwoods with the torrential winter rains, to living next to the beach. You can even smell the salt water in the air as you walk around. What a turn of events -- I got so LITTLE for my house, that I was forced to stay and work, and had to find a place here. With rents as high as they are here, I never imagined I'd find a place. So, I started looking at mobiles, and my wonderful realtor who really works for her money, helped.

I'm still crossing my fingers, though, because all is not over yet.....so my anxiety still rises because you never know. But so far, that is what is happening. It is very weird to think that my retirement home will be near the beach, under the palm trees, with a pool right there, and in beautiful Santa Cruz. Now, that is irony!!

I have to go now, but will check in later. I think all is okay, but I do get nervous -- you all know how it goes -- until the final papers are signed. But that is where I am at right now!!

Thank you all for your support, and help and encouragement! What a strange twist of events!

Wisteria
Congratulations Wisteria! I don't post in this thread but have somewhat followed it - you all are such smart, strong interesting women... Anyway, your story reminds me of a little book I read called "Acres of Diamonds" , I read it decades ago, but the moral of the story was that we go through such great troubles and distances to find what we are looking for, only to discover it was in our own backyard the whole time!

God was looking out for you, I am so happy for you!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-28-2009 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: at request of original poster

Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,858 times
Good to hear from Wisteria.

I don't post much but do read the posts regularly.

I am very happy for you Wisteria. Lifted my spirits just reading all the good things that are happening to you. Your new place sounds wonderful and I must admit I envy you. I would love to live near the water. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
Good to hear from Wisteria.

I don't post much but do read the posts regularly.

I am very happy for you Wisteria. Lifted my spirits just reading all the good things that are happening to you. Your new place sounds wonderful and I must admit I envy you. I would love to live near the water. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Way to go, Wisteria!!! Can we call come visit when you get settled in???

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Wisteria, I am soooo happy for you! Can you include the outdoor cat in the house sale? Ragdolls are great family pets.
You may not have gotten what you thought you wanted, but sometimes life hands us something better than we could have imagined.
And find some space in your yard for a water garden or two. They don't have to be big but they can be wonderful. I woke up Monday feeling bleeah and opened the blinds to see a beautiful water lily blooming in one of my washtubs. A friend gave me the plant and I didn't think I had enough sun for it to bloom, but apparently, it managed. It is so beautiful.
Enjoy your new life, you've earned it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.