Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM

522 posts, read 1,428,626 times

Advertisements

Wow, just checked in, and caught up with all the good news.
Wisteria, Good Job!!
I knew you could find something there, just didn't know it would be so ideal. You really do have it all now, once all is signed and put behind. I'm sooo happy for you girl!

NancytheReader, great step forward! Good luck to you!

Yes, our lives and events are inspirational to each other. I'm thrilled to be a part of this group!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 20,436 times
Nancy - Just joined this group last night and would like to be among those that wish you good luck in the sale of your townhouse! To The Group - I look forward to getting to know you all. A little bit about me. I moved from New York to New Jersey to be closer to my daughters and grandchildren back in December 2003. This move hurt me financially because I had greater earning power in NY where I am licensed as a clinician (psychotherapist). Even though NY and NJ are neighboring states, there is no reciprocity in this field although there is reciprocity in the nursing field. The process to become licensed in NJ as a clinician was too long and involved and I just was not willing to go through this process again - been there done that. So, I applied for and was granted a NJ state license in social work but the pay scale is less. I am of retirement age and am presently happily unemployed which is giving me the time to reinvent myself - I'm working on putting together a part/time holistically-oriented private practice and/or Center that offers counseling, dreamwork, stress management, feng shui, reiki/therapeutic touch and other healing modalities. I will need to find a more affordable place to live and have been doing some research for the past month or so. I'm looking for a place in nature - sea, river, mountains, etc - because that's where I feel the best. I presently rent a condo directly across the street from a natural river and love it. I've been checking out places along the eastern seaboard and even checked out Vancouver, BC. Would like to live in a moderate temperature zone (don't do well with hot/cold extremes), where people are progressive, friendly, down-to-earth and the environment is healthy. I've even entertained the idea of sharing ownership with other compatible adults in a big house, in a place of nature, but haven't stumbled on anything like this yet. I am single but open to a relationship with a wonderful, emotionally and financially secure man. I must say how pleased I was to find your thread. I read a few pages of your postings and resonated so strongly that I had to join your group. From what I read, you are the kind of women that I'd be thrilled to be associated with....strong, brave, loving, caring, kind, and smart. I only hope that I can muddle through this website right. The message I wrote before this one, I managed to get sent into oblivion. Hopefully, this message will get sent out right.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM

8,807 posts, read 21,236,910 times
Thanks, plantlover, newenglandgirl, anomoly. karcon and river . (Welcome , river ) .

You guys are so supportive.
I have to move for many reasons & I know that I am headed west. Maybe California.
I am so nervous about all of this. I am both afraid that my house will sell quickly and that it won't. I'm not sure why I feel this way. I am not an adventuresome soul like anomoly ; I am sort of a stick-in-the -mud so this is a very novel thing for me to do, but I do have to do it.
I am always so happy to return to this thread and to all of your wonderful comments. Thank you so much!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,777,069 times
Just a quick post because I know some of you are curious about the mobile home across from the pool I am working on getting (need to get the cash for my home, the loan for this one, and get it all approved).

The first photo is the outside of it -- the bay windows in front is the kitchen area -- can eat and gaze at the blue poole -- and remember, the rules of the park are that one must have beautiful flowers and plants in front -- as some of you have seen my house in the redwoods, you know I have had tons of gardens, so I am sure I can do something wonderful with it.

The second photo is just the living room, with a fireplace insert (not that one needs a fireplace in Santa Cruz....). It is real wood, but I do plan to paint over it and get some nice light, breezy, oceanside colors there. Some nice lace curtains for an airy feel, and it already has Pergo floors. There's a little hallway you can see there and off that are the two bedrooms and the bath, and a doorway leading to the den, which I plan to fix up into a tropical plant/art room.

And, because I can't get a photo of the whole park yet, I've attached one of the ocean nearby....yep, that's what it looks like! Monterey Bay right here in Santa Cruz.

That's all for now. Still working....

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Now I just have to get through the sadness and loss of losing three of my pets (I can keep one cat). I will never collect more animals again -- one cat will be my staple from now on. I can't deal with the pain of losing them. The dog will probably go to a co-worker's sister's house near Sacramento, the tortoise shell will stay with me, the black cat (which is super, super affectionate and sweet) may go with my daughter....depending on her housing situation -- unless someone out there would love a neutered, extra sweet, indoor (although he could be outdoor, too, but all these years he's been in) cat named Bing (short for B.B. Bing -- like B.B. King! )

Just noticed that Nancy thereader just posted....little secret....she might also love to live in Santa Cruz! She knows I'm here, and I think if we ended up in a similar area (maybe even the same park!!) it would be very cool! California Dreamin'!

So, here are a few photos:

The front of the house with small deck that I will fill with flowers and a small umbrella table and seating; the inside living room which will be much brighter and lighter when I am done; and the beach nearby! Literally within walking distance!

Front of House:

Living Room soon to be light and airy

The Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay shoreline

Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,244,091 times
Welcome, River! Glad you are joining us. Please share your thoughts freely.

Thanks for the pics, Wisteria. It looks cute and very livable. Monterey Bay is very beautiful.

Nancy, I think conflicting feelings about such a big step is natural. You have made a decision to change your life completely and acted upon it, but at the same time, you lived there for many years and built a life there. Change always brings a great deal of stress with it; even good change is stressful. Just prepare and be patient. Your time is nigh!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,041,416 times
Cool Wisteria & Nancy.......

Wouldn't it be a "hoot" if we ALL ended up in the same beautiful mobile home park, walking distance to the beach ? OMG !!

That's what we've all been talking about for hundreds of pages Wisteria...... you lead - we follow

Old 07-10-2009, 05:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,109,933 times
That mobile home park right near the beach, low cost, beautiful area....perfect!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:35 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,777,069 times
Who knew I'd end up back where I started from????

Anyone looking for a mobile home, check out Santa Cruz, CA (I, originally, put the name of the park down, but I think I shouldn't post it right now -- need to save some of those homes for the women HERE!). There are a wide variety of prices. Of course, I got the cheapest one, but it fits me just fine -- just large enough -- almost 1,000 sq. ft. But within walking distance of the beach, so many things nearby, the yacht harbor, the ocean, the shops, downtown, so many free music events, and wine tastings, and even the Beach Boardwalk, well, it will be hard to stay inside.

Pet restrictions, though -- just one pet... But knowing at almost 62 I am having knee difficulties, and it is just too hard for me to care for a "real" stick house and yard, this is fine. Besides with all the amenities that the "real" rich people provide in this town, it's perfect. My theory has always been to get the cheapest place in the most expensive area -- that way I get to live there and enjoy what the wealthy provide and pay for, and I still can skim by on my tiny salary/pension! I don't need a McMansion -- not when I can have all this at my fingertips!!

So, the line is forming, join in, grab the waist of the person in front and let's do the Conga to California!! Haha! It WOULD definitely be cool!!!

Okay, get dancing!!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:22 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,646,539 times
You're going to be able to turn that into a wonderful home! Search out auctions and estate sales for wonderful old pots and things that you can put pots on so you can have different levels. I've had a lot of fun doing that.
Also, Lowe's delivers -- potting soil, big tubs, whatever. A half-barrel holds two 2-cubic feet bags of potting soil. I had Lowes deliver 12 huge sacks of potting soil and 3 half barrels when I started my gardens. Never regretted it.
Take cuttings of your favorite plants before you move and bring them to your new home.
And do let me know when the guest room is ready!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:10 PM

9 posts, read 20,436 times
Post from the new kid in town

Nancy' and Tesage - Thanks much for your welcomes!

Wisteria - Congrats on your new home! It sounds wonderful - especially being in such close proximity to the Bay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.