Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
plantlover:
Where did you get that snowman/dog thingy? I love it! I'm sorry to even mention our temps. I know people are suffering from the cold. I have a friend in northern Montana where they have had temps up to or down to -33°, high winds and mucho snow.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Bestsmileys dot com - look under "funny" in the index

Old 01-16-2009, 08:06 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Knox Garden and mn2co~~~ Need I even tell you how much that house would be on Long Island?
Probably $750,000 .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM

What is the weather like in Nashville today? It is absolutely freezing here in New York (as you probably have seen if you watched the news about the plane crash).
Nashville really does seem like a place that I woulc be happy in for many many reasons.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
That house is too big. 3000+ sq ft takes to much time and effort to clean. I had a huge house once - bigger than that one, even. I was appalled at how long it took to do basic household chores just because there is so much surface area. I'd be much happier with a house 2/3s or even half that size. How the area is laid out is key to a well functioning house. It does look like the prices are lower than where I live too - about $100/sq ft. 1990's prices.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Nancy, it was 9 in Nashville today with a high of 20. It was 8 at my house this AM in NE AL with a high in the mid 20s today. This is the coldest it has been in 6 years so it isn't the norm. It is suppose to get back to normal the first of next week with highs in the 40s. I am about 2 hours from Nashville.

Nashville is a big city, I would probably look at someplace outside of Nashville like McMinnville (sp) close to the city but away from the hussle and bussle. Chattanooga might also be an option.

There is a couple who live in Guntersville, AL from LI. They moved there 2 years ago. They love it there. They have a nice house with a pool and a lake view of Guntersville Lake. They are active in the Retired Senior Volunteer Program and have met lots of ppl. Property tax is very low and most retirements plans are not subject to state income tax. SS is also not taxed.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Nancy - did you mean Knoxville? or maybe you do mean Nashville - could you be our next country singing sensation?? I'm sure you could buy a little mansion for what you paid for your condo on L.I. WOW - and that plane!!! It was all over the news last night - how scary and what a pilot - see, these older people, with lots of experience, know what to do when it counts!!

I currently have 2400 sq. ft - just right. The homes in Knoxville are bigger, on the average, than here. But, extra space opens up the opportunity for housemates, if needed. If you don't use the space, what's to clean, except occasional vac & dust? I haven't used my LR/DR (except for holidays, dinners) since I moved in here 14 years ago - I just finally decided why not - I'm worth it (I've been watching too much Oprah!!!) Cleaning was occasional to keep the dust bunnies at bay.

Everybody stay warm - I wish Canada would keep their Arctic blasts to themselves. http://bestsmileys.com/cold/9.gif (broken link) We are getting a heat wave - it's going to be 30 tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://bestsmileys.com/sun/5.gif (broken link)

Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Nancy, don't cross Portland, OR off your list just yet...

near 50F expected today and sunny (for 7 days straight !!, in January ) I guess the rare 'white Christmas' was the brunt of our winter, tho plenty of gloom between now and June . Serious cold is done by end of January, but snow can come as late as Easter.

Spring has plenty of flowers and tree colors to help with the gray, as long as you don't mind getting through life in the drizzle. (it rarely RAINS, as in ' BIG drops'). If you are a bookworm / or sew / paint / woodwork... and can do that instead of dig in your muddy garden, then Portland can be very digestible. If you were an avid gardener, a greenhouse would make it ideal. There are all kinds of lovely parks to volunteer in also.

While I am not keen on the rain because I like to be 'outdoors', (and not muddy), there are many 'worse' places to be.

The tough things to beat about Portland area;
moderate climate
great international airport within 10 min
tolerable social climate (tho a stretch at times)
1 hr to beach, windsurfing paradise, or mountain (either for snow or volcano )
20 min to Columbia Gorge views and hiking
Many miles of interior metro hiking and parks

lots of higher ed / culture / entertainment, and a good bookstore

The downside (besides weather and mowing lawn 2-3x / week in spring..) is inner city (regional) crime, OR politics, funding diligence, and priorities; thus many find it best to live in WA, a few minutes away.

If I had my druthers I'd be in Loveland or Ft Collins, CO. 50F and sunny there today also. But.... as another thread mentions... It is tough to 'go home', it can not be the same. (especially with hundreds of thousands of new residents in the region since I left, and the current CA exodus is heading that way by the truckload, can't blame them... it is nice). The downside (in my limited perspective) is lack of public transit, traffic and infrastructure growing pains, (the 'busy-ness' of Ft Collins, leads me to Loveland) brown winters potentially very windy at times, hail in spring. Dry growing seasons (tough to grow trees), and long way to a very busy airport (1+ hr). I do like to get in a couple visits to Colo per yr. Currently less than $200 RT by air, I often get a rental car for under $20 / day.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Nancy, don't cross Portland, OR off your list just yet..
It's still on my short list. 2011, if I'm lucky...

People always complain about the gloom in PDX but every trip I've been out there, the sun comes out at least once. Only a couple of trips did I fail to see Mt. Hood. And most of the trips have been in Jan-Apr

Old 01-16-2009, 04:59 PM

It is always such a pleasure to return to this one thread. All of you are so wonderful. The very best.

Nancy, it was 9 in Nashville today with a high of 20. It was 8 at my house this AM in NE AL with a high in the mid 20s today. This is the coldest it has been in 6 years so it isn't the norm. It is suppose to get back to normal the first of next week with highs in the 40s. I am about 2 hours from Nashville.

Thanks, Keeper. I can't believe that it was eight degrees in Alabama ! I always think of that as a warm place without winters. The place you are talking about sounds great. Just as soon as I can get Kelsey settled, I will be able to look for a new place to live.

Nancy - did you mean Knoxville?

Yes. That is what I meant (I don't know what is wrong with me lately....) Is Brentwood neat Nashville or Knoxville? I had an aunt who lived there for a very short while more than thirty years ago. She was such a shy person who was so overshadowed by her husband that she was never able to adjust at all.

Nancy, don't cross Portland, OR off your list just yet

Thanks, jan. No, I won't ; I am just not sure about the winters. Although they are certainly better than those we have here, that's for sure. (I'm a bookworm.)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement