Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, thanks for your great comments. Maybe we're all just daydreaming of better places to live!

As for renting, it would only make sense if you knew you only had one or two years before you wanted to leave an area for good. If not certain, it probably is best to just stick it out. Sooner or later our/your property taxes will zoom up, and then that becomes a strong economic factor to deal with and perhaps a prime motivator to relocate. But I do like the idea of having a women's retreat somewhere to talk about all this. Suggestions as to where? Somewhere in the Midwest??

Old 03-05-2009, 10:21 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Default Co-housing for older people

Has anyone looked into Elder Grace in Santa Fe? It's an elder co-housing community that might serve as a model if people really wanted to create something here.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,702 times
Talking Retirement housing....

On my local television, I see commercials all the time and have never paid much attention to them, but the concept does already exist in my area; for apartments, maybe even townhomes. The ads describe a "retirement complex" with indoor pool, dining room for food, recreation room, bus service for shopping, etc. and it is not assisted living. Some of the ads in the newspaper are similar, and they say "month-to-month" residency.

Like I said before, Grants Pass has a very large retiree population, so I guess these housing options are popular

Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM

Default Re: elder communities

There are websites for "elder communities" such as the one in Sante Fe and Abingdon VA. It is very appealing, but somehow I don't feel like I'm quite there yet...at an age where I want to be locked into living with just other people my age and older. On the other hand, neither do I want a co-housing community with lots of young families. My childrearing years were intense, and now they're over. I guess what I want is a community of people of varying adult ages with whom to share literary, artistic, economic, spiritual information and experiences. I still feel close to people in their 40s and 50s who are not at all seeking retirement type places. I also wonder if i'd be depressed in an older folks community...would I feel like this is it, there's nothing after this? Does anyone else wonder about that?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
I live in a condo with a good mix of ages and backgrounds. I like that a lot. I actively looked for that sort of place when I was looking to buy five years ago.
It's an older complex, built 30 years ago, and one of those places where everyone who has been in Knoxville for several years either lived here or knew someone who does.
I've got grad students renting next door, a widow in the condo above me, there's a hispanic couple and their kids two doors down. There are very elderly sorts who moved in when it was built, divorced husbands and wives looking for a cheaper place they can have the kids (excellent school districts), couples starting out with their first home and new baby, retirees downsizing. It's a good location and a friendly atmosphere. Kids are always out playing and folks are walking their dogs. I feel safe here and can always find someone if I need help hauling out trash or whatever.
Of course, being in the South, people are very courteous and respectful of others. Kids are kept under control, there are no loud radios and a request to tone down a party is met with profuse apologies. There are huge trees and lots of grass that the condo association takes care of. That's nice.
I can't imagine living with a bunch of old people. I think it would be very depressing.
A lot of those senior apartments are HUD subsidized and rents are based on income.
Senior Citizens - HUD
We have a couple in Knoxville.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I live in a condo with a good mix of ages and backgrounds. I like that a lot. I actively looked for that sort of place when I was looking to buy five years ago.
It's an older complex, built 30 years ago, and one of those places where everyone who has been in Knoxville for several years either lived here or knew someone who does.
I've got grad students renting next door, a widow in the condo above me, there's a hispanic couple and their kids two doors down. There are very elderly sorts who moved in when it was built, divorced husbands and wives looking for a cheaper place they can have the kids (excellent school districts), couples starting out with their first home and new baby, retirees downsizing. It's a good location and a friendly atmosphere. Kids are always out playing and folks are walking their dogs. I feel safe here and can always find someone if I need help hauling out trash or whatever.
Of course, being in the South, people are very courteous and respectful of others. Kids are kept under control, there are no loud radios and a request to tone down a party is met with profuse apologies. There are huge trees and lots of grass that the condo association takes care of. That's nice.
I can't imagine living with a bunch of old people. I think it would be very depressing.
A lot of those senior apartments are HUD subsidized and rents are based on income.
Senior Citizens - HUD
We have a couple in Knoxville.
Your living situation sounds wonderful.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM

205 posts, read 397,162 times
Knoxgarden, it sounds like the perfect (or as good as it gets) place - diversity, neighbors who lend a helping hand. The living arrangements CIB sounds similar to where mother lived when I moved her to be closer to me. It was an active retirement community. My mother had her own apartment, social gatherings, transportation to outings, shopping, swimming pool, activities, reserved parking for those residents who had cars and still drove, etc. Dining was in a community dining room that was set up like a restaurant (you ordered off a menu). The residents were mostly women, with some single men (competition for them was fierce!), and even married couples. It is an independent living facility. There was an assisted living facility there as well for those older residents who could no longer live my themselves. But it is still a retirement home. You are surrounded by an aging, ailing population. There was always a photo/memorial for some resident who had passed away. Lots of the residents were very active while others were active but in various stages of needing walking assitance (canes to walkers, to walkers with chairs, to wheel chairs). It was a wonderfully social place for my mother but I am not ready to go into (hate to say this) God's waiting room. It's like you just know this is last trail. Like NEG, I'm not there yet and don't expect to be for another 15-20 years. I just want to make the most of those years.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:14 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
I love it. It's when I read comments from other people that I realize how nice it is here in particular and Knoxville in general. I've lived in Knoxville for 10 years now and I can think of only a handful of times when I've heard a loud car stereo while driving around -- and I drive past a high school every day when school lets out. There's no graffiti even in the "rough" areas. There's a respect for others that makes life so much nicer. It's at the core of why I love Knoxville.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Default Hey-Knox...

I sent for the reloc package from the Knoxville Chamber of Commerce and am now getting all kinds of stuff - mostly on apartments (?). Two realtors have called - and you're right - everyone's so polite I feel like I'm talking to my minister.

I'm also not ready for the old folks home - not by a long shot. Younger people help keep you younger. I just don't want any type of HOA where the vote is for a new playground and most everyone has little kids.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 PM

Default NewEnglandGirl to Knoxgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I love it. It's when I read comments from other people that I realize how nice it is here in particular and Knoxville in general. I've lived in Knoxville for 10 years now and I can think of only a handful of times when I've heard a loud car stereo while driving around -- and I drive past a high school every day when school lets out. There's no graffiti even in the "rough" areas. There's a respect for others that makes life so much nicer. It's at the core of why I love Knoxville.

Knoxgarden, how is Tennessee for retirees in terms of taxes? Is your condo, for instance, a rental or purchase? And, if I'm not being too intrusive, what general cost of monthly condo fee? (here in the NE, our condo fees can be several hundred to maybe 400/month, which, on top of property taxes, makes owning a condo darned expensive). One other thing...how bad is the summer heat? One summer when I was driving to NE from Missouri I stopped in Knoxville. It seemed like a beautiful city, but the heat nearly knocked me over! Is it always like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement