Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 04:24 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times

Advertisements

Here is someone's description of what they like about Alabama:

As a transplant who has lived all over the country, here's my list:

1) It's just an easy state to live in. The people are incredibly nice and polite. Let me tell you, that really counts for something.

2) It's a beautiful state. No, it's not majestic or imposing like Colorado or the West Coast. But it has a gentle and delicate beauty to it. And, during Spring, it has to be the most gorgeous place on earth.

3) Alabamians know how to have fun. There seem to be fewer neuroses here than any place I've been. There's always something to do here (Croye, are you listening?) if you simply get up off your butt and find it.

4) The government sucks up far less of your income than other places.

5) The sheer virtuosity of language among its inhabitants. Southerners are incredible story tellers, and seem to possess deep insight into people. The language of Alabamians is instinctively literary. I have been privileged to sit at tables and listen to Alabamians swap stories about friends, relatives, and events in their lives. There have been times when I have been tempted to pull out a tape recorder and transpose.

6) The cities, while big enough to have all the amenities you need, are still on a human scale. The only thing I really miss is a major league baseball team.

7) A sense of reverence seems to permeate the place. I'm not necessarily speaking in theological terms, but rather in the individual's relationship with others, with the landscape, and with society as a whole. It's very hard to put one's finger on it, but it's there nonetheless.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Just a quick post because I know some of you are curious about the mobile home across from the pool I am working on getting (need to get the cash for my home, the loan for this one, and get it all approved).....
We are rooting for you!!! When is the closing date? The photos of you new little place show a good person had it before you. I love the living room. I hadn't thought about it, but yours is so nice maybe I'll look into it. What kind of heat and property taxes are involved in mobile homes? What does your monthly fee (association fee?) cover? I think that the ease of cleaning and the security of living close to others is going to be wonderful in the golden years. And with the beach so close, you'll never have to travel anywhere to get away! (but....where are we all going to sleep when we come for our 2-week visits??)

Blessings,
NewEnglGirl

Old 07-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Plantlover,

Is this your list or someone elses? Are you considering Alabama?

The photos are breathtaking. I wonder about racial tensions, do they still exist there? And the summer weather of course....
It is amazing how beautiful our country is (away from the cities).

NewEnglGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Here is someone's description of what they like about Alabama:

As a transplant who has lived all over the country, here's my list:

1) It's just an easy state to live in. The people are incredibly nice and polite. Let me tell you, that really counts for something.

2) It's a beautiful state. No, it's not majestic or imposing like Colorado or the West Coast. But it has a gentle and delicate beauty to it. And, during Spring, it has to be the most gorgeous place on earth.

3) Alabamians know how to have fun. There seem to be fewer neuroses here than any place I've been. There's always something to do here (Croye, are you listening?) if you simply get up off your butt and find it.

4) The government sucks up far less of your income than other places.

5) The sheer virtuosity of language among its inhabitants. Southerners are incredible story tellers, and seem to possess deep insight into people. The language of Alabamians is instinctively literary. I have been privileged to sit at tables and listen to Alabamians swap stories about friends, relatives, and events in their lives. There have been times when I have been tempted to pull out a tape recorder and transpose.

6) The cities, while big enough to have all the amenities you need, are still on a human scale. The only thing I really miss is a major league baseball team.

7) A sense of reverence seems to permeate the place. I'm not necessarily speaking in theological terms, but rather in the individual's relationship with others, with the landscape, and with society as a whole. It's very hard to put one's finger on it, but it's there nonetheless.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Default Repping good posts

When you rep someone, how do you attach a comment to it? Can't figure it out...

Old 07-11-2009, 04:33 PM

It was a post on c-d in the Alabama section: What do you like most about living in Alabama. The author of the post is: cpg35223. I am totally "up in the air" as far as where I want to eventually settle. Although California is beautiful and so varied in terrain, etc. There might be just too many people there for me. I am so happy for Wisteria!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Usually when you click on the add reputation icon, it opens up a field into which you can make a comment.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl

Usually when you click on the add reputation icon, it opens up a field into which you can make a comment.
She means the scales icon in the upper right corner of each post. If you use the "[+] Rate this post positively" link at the bottom, you can't add a comment.

AL has the beautiful antebellum architecture and lush greenery that make the south picturesque in pictures and the winter, but summers! No thanks. MD is too humid for me (except this summer) so farther south would be worse. I'm sure the growing season is long down there but bugs would be an issue. It would only get the cold during those really cold snaps that risk freezing FL too. Lots of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes down there. As far as racial tensions, anywhere in the south will have its pockets of people still fighting the Civil War. As far as things like that go, look at their elected representatives - that will give you a clue as to how the general political ambiance is. But like anwhere, I'm sure there are other people of differing views too.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:04 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
I seriously considered moving to Birmingham at one time. I lived and worked on the Georgia/Alabama border and greatly prefered Alabama to Georgia and was able to explore.
But Birmingham gets too hot in the summer for me. Way too hot. And humid. Really humid. Lovely city, though, surrounded by some nice country and beautiful lakes. Working very hard to overcome its past history with segregation.
The Huntsville area is a little cooler and also pretty, with lakes and the end of the Appalachians to give it some nice rolling hills. Also check out Gadsden. Pretty place.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Oh! I was clicking on "rate this post positively." I didn't know about the scales icon, thanks and also to Tesaje.

What is the red triangle icon (to the right of the scales) and the other one, to the left?

I'm late as always in figuring things out!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:04 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
The Huntsville area might be about as far south as I could go. According to city-data, the citizens are highly educated, there are hills, and the cost of living is WAY lower than where I currently live. Crime statistics look fairly good. Climate? That's the big question. I also hate heat and humidity but can't tolerate the cold either. My dream location would probably be somewhere in the Shenandoah Valley, but I don't think that's practical (for me) anymore. Whether I'm on a mountain overlooking a valley, or in a valley gazing out at the mountains, I am at peace. <sigh> If only I could find the right spot with the right people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement