Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 12:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

I'd consider
Loveland, Estes Park and Ft Collins, CO. All are very nice and unique in their own ways.

There is a new 'community' lifestyle subdivision being built in Estes, at the SE corner of Mary's Lake. I found a link on this site somewhere...

I grew up in Loveland / Masonville / Estes, and was there this last week to see the fall colors. It's much more crowded, but still very nice, and a bit in the 'Banana Belt', as it is in the storm shadow, similar to Sheridan, WY (another nice place, but with more guys than gals...). Estes can be a bit windy and cold in the winter. One of my friends who lived there for several years said, "I sure enjoy Estes a lot more, now that I live in Loveland"... They can pick the nice days to run up and enjoy Estes and surrounding area. All three towns have a blossoming arts cultures, and you can meet a lot of nice guys in the hiking, art, and camera clubs. Or... go out and do some "trap-shooting", their always looking for 'keen eyed' partners!

Be sure to check out the bronze statuary park in Loveland (Near 29th and Taft) it is really nice. But there are bronze statues all over town, that you shouldn't miss.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Nancythereader,
Have you explored the coastal areas of WA? My daughters mother-in-law lives in Lacey and only pays $500 a month for a two bed apt. The houses and the condo's seem affordable. The Grays Harbor area is of interest to my husband and I for our retirement and we are going this month to explore. I believe OR has a higher tax burden than WA, I may be wrong, but that was my understanding. Best of luck.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:34 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Wink dear motley crew

Thanks foir the advice. The towns sound so pretty. Yes, Washington DOES have no state income tax and Oregon has a high one. But, Oregon has no sales tax so I guess that evens things out somewhat. Of course, you could always live in Washington and shop in Oregon. That would be the best of both worlds!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Thanks foir the advice. ...Of course, you could always live in Washington and shop in Oregon. That would be the best of both worlds!
BTDT for the last 25 yrs

I feel the "no income tax" status of WA was very helpful in arranging early retirement, and my future taxable earning entities and living trust will stay registered in WA, but... property tax is now killing me ($33/day).

OR was nice to have 10 min away, but mainly for cultural / available services / rare items / rebuilding center... I'm a pretty 'low impact' consumer so not much value to 'no-sales-tax'. I have a 30yr old W&D and a 30 yr old car (that cost $35.00 at an auction) it gets 50 mpg on free cooking oil.

Chapter 52... with little / no income; WA loses it's luster.

WY is another (no income tax) option, if you live close enough to MT to shop there. (Powell / or Sheridan WY > Billings). The prop taxes are much better in WY, but now is an energy boom, so bad time to buy there. But... pendulum will swing, and WY becomes very attractive to buy. (unless you want a ranch... they were all sold years ago to recreational folks with $$$). Folks who follow energy booms are known to leave there homes, and take the loss. BTDT too...

Old 10-06-2007, 09:34 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I knew a lady who retired from the city of Charlotte, visited Key West and if her children had not insisted, I think she would have stayed there. She found a part time job in a deli that paid for her housing and of course her retirement income paid for everything else. She stayed there until one of her sons threatened to come and bring her home.

Single, can move anywhere. How about a Route 66 existance. Sounds adventurious.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:40 AM

393 posts, read 1,881,045 times
Default Gotta post

Going to be 51, and originally from the cold midwest, living in the south now and can't afford to stay here, and want something new. Also looking for an affordable lifestyle. Being alone means living in a cheaper area for retirement costs. Interested in meeting wonderful people to do things with also, and if a man comes along........I won't complain MUCH! LOL.

I started on the west coast researching, ended up on the east coast, to the middle US, back to the west coast but also including CO, and a neat visit there. This would be a place I COULD DEFINITELY LIVE along with OR, and WA, CA but who can afford these places on a limited income, or budget ha?

Back to TN, and KY now........Next month I may be somewhere different, but I know I am learning alot.........LOL.

Have been on TN, and KY a while now maybe these area will be the ticket. LOL. The hardest thing is to find places w/o jobs long distance, and also finding a job......at my age I still have to work.

If you guys find something neat, and reasonable please give out your secret place.

Maybe we should get a map, blindfold ourselves, spin around and pick a spot.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:53 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
but with more guys than gals...

You may have just answered the question for some women here

Old 10-07-2007, 08:05 AM

820 posts, read 2,868,593 times
Let me say I was going to post my thoughts before I ever read Knoxgarden's posts. The recommendation I was going to make was East TN. The entire area does fit your likes and personality that you describe. You might even be able to find a place to sell some art if you were interested in that as folks visit that area often for arts and crafts of course. The area is full of some of the friendliest folks you could ever meet. The landscape is beautiful... most especially in the fall. While it is certainly warm, it isn't quite as bad as the deep south. Plus, find a place with some large beautiful trees to provide your home with some nice shade and that would help.

I live in KY and certainly enjoy living here. I'm only in my mid fourties and single, but quite unsure as to where I will retire one day. Much of my decision may be based on kids/grandkids. However, I could certainly picture myself sitting on a porch in E TN! Great vacation spot for friends and family to visit too!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
You might consider checking on the Trilogy Vistancia community located in north Peoria AZ which is up in the foothills. I am not sure of your budget, but the resales right now are as low as mid $200K's and the dues are around $500 per quarter. There is a beautiful golf course, a fantastic upscale (with reasonable prices) restaurant and an indoor pool and spa/meditation room. go to www.trilogylife.com and see what they have to offer. You could move over to our side of the street, which is the family side for less HOA fees and still be a member of the Trilogy club. Best of luck to you.
Thank you for that link. mc.
They have a lovely site with music and virtual tours , but the prices for the setting in Redmond were in the mid-$600s whiich is too high for me.

The homes seemed to be the same ones as they showed in the AZ site for the most part for much less money .

Old 10-07-2007, 01:57 PM

Unhappy property taxes

the "no income tax" status of WA was very helpful in arranging early retirement, and my future taxable earning entities and living trust will stay registered in WA, but... property tax is now killing me ($33/day).

I never thought of property taxes that way (by the day). That is a very upsetting way to think about them even if it is true

You do have high property taxes (I more or less did the math) for Washington, don't you. People on LI pay about $9.000 a year for a very average home. I had thought that we were just about the highest taxed place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement