Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I check on this thread all the time. It's like meeting up with old friends. And, this is from a Scorpio sun and Aries moon. NO Aquarius (or any air signs) are in my horoscope. Wonder what that means. I wonder if there is a best place to live for each sign. Couldn't we collaborate on a book abouit that, guys?
That's actually an excellent idea...could be very entertaining, and helpful to many people. Sounds like a fun project to me..I'd buy it!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
What if you were born via a planned c-section? How can we go by a specific horoscope?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
[quote=nancy thereader;3912944][color="DarkGreen"] I wonder if there is a best place to live for each sign. /QUOTE]

I've looked at a map that had intersecting lines where I would live for different types of growth and my friend who has studied astrology told me AZ would be a good place but I'm not drawn to AZ. Although I think astrology can tell us things about ourselves and others, I think it is only one part of the picture--life experiences, choices, the values we hold--make it more complex. I'm not sold that certain places are better or worst by our astrological readings although I do think place affects who we are just as hanging out with people who believe and behave certains ways affects us.

My daughter has a book I'd like to read--Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder. The book begins with a quote from a fourth-grader in San Diego saying he likes to play indoors better because that's where all the electrical outlets are. I would bet many people have this disorder. I need nature to stay balanced and to remind me that there is a bigger picture. I don't think that has much to do with astrology. On the other hand, I am drawn to water and always imagined myself living by a lake. I am a water sign but I also grew up with lakes in Michigan. Is it astrology or the familiar? Since I now live in the desert, I say that I'm living on the bottom of once was an ocean a long time ago.

Place and our identity is an interesting topic but unlike watching people's energy and interests and guessing their astrological signs (sometimes I get it right), how would you prove that a place has certain effects on certain signs? I'm sure there are books on the topic but it doesn't hold much interest since I'm not going to test it out. It would be fun to hear your stories if you do though.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I love this thread, I check it regularly. I know that most of you know each other, and have shared a lot. It's so interesting to see who things are evolving...I feel I am in the same situation as a lot of you. I love reading about people's thoughts and experiences.
Just saying hi!
I wanted to say hi and welcome SeeBee. Are you thinking of moving when you retire? What are you looking for in a place?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:26 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
An added benefit of a college town is that there are probably college-aged males living nearby who can be bribed with food to do things like haul trash, help with heavy lifting, etc. It's amazing what you can get for a meatloaf!
Excellent point when you love to cook!!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I knew a lady who retired from the city of Charlotte, visited Key West and if her children had not insisted, I think she would have stayed there. She found a part time job in a deli that paid for her housing and of course her retirement income paid for everything else. She stayed there until one of her sons threatened to come and bring her home.

Single, can move anywhere. How about a Route 66 existance. Sounds adventurious.
I'm thinking she should have stayed!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 AM

I am loving this thread!! I am looking for a retirement
place ; all theses things are important to me.

Friendly / Classes available
safe /low crime
low cost of living
East states( I think)
reasonable land costs( want 10 acres)
nice shopping and restaurants within 30 minutes drive
major airport within an hour drive.
Not farther North than Va (cold natured)

part of me wants to travel the country and see it all
then settle down .

Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
This is the reason I'm looking at changing my lifestyle from a 1.6 acre property about 15 miles out of town to a city area after I retire. It will take some adjustment for me to get used to the city density and noise. I'm hoping I can find a nice house on a quite street with a sunny yard for me to continue to indulge in my gardening passion. We'll see how that goes when the time comes.
can we trade?? I want to leave the city .

Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
can we trade?? I want to leave the city .
lol. I'm still about 3 years away from relocating. Besides, I'm further north than you want.

Is it just wanting what we don't have? Sometimes I wonder. There is a lot I like about my place, but the older I grow, the less I want one piece of property to take all my time like this one does.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
lol. I'm still about 3 years away from relocating. Besides, I'm further north than you want.

Is it just wanting what we don't have? Sometimes I wonder. There is a lot I like about my place, but the older I grow, the less I want one piece of property to take all my time like this one does.

The amount of time/work it will take to maintain worries me.
There are days I enjoy being outside & working in the yard.
There are other days I want to read a good book all day!!
Would the farming/animal care be a fun hobby or a chore
I dreaded?? I guess there is alot to think about before actually doing it
My husband underestimates things . Says it would not tie us down
if we wanted to go travel some.."just have someone care for things
while we are gone" I don't buy that because it is hard to leave now with 1 cat, 1 dog and 2 rabbits .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement