Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times

Advertisements

I'd move to where the least amount of people are. Kinda tired of people right now ...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
[quote=Tesaje;16051523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post

Have you considered the Pac. NW? Climate might be to your liking & it is considerably closer to your family than Maine.
I'm in New England, so the PNW would be quite far away. I have a sister in CA, but not close enough with her to live there.

My daughter is still looking into southern Maine. She's asked me to go with her and her partner (live apart) and if she winds up in or around Portland I will consider it, as I love that area.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
QUOTE=Tesaje;16051523
I'm in New England, so the PNW would be quite far away. I have a sister in CA, but not close enough with her to live there.

My daughter is still looking into southern Maine. She's asked me to go with her and her partner (live apart) and if she winds up in or around Portland I will consider it, as I love that area.
The quotes got messed up. I was replying to flyingscot whose kid is in Sacramento, CA and loves the cool misty Scottish weather.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:11 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Avalon! Did you move into your house...how it that working out, better than renting?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:13 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I'd move to where the least amount of people are. Kinda tired of people right now ...
too funny - having that kind of life just now as well

Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
too funny - having that kind of life just now as well
MZfroggez, I was wondering if you're alright in all that NC flooding. Not sure you're still around Wilmington, but that area sure got hit hard. Any relocation plans before winter?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:10 AM

62 posts, read 97,647 times
Default Still Searching

[quote=Tesaje;16051523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post

Have you considered the Pac. NW? Climate might be to your liking & it is considerably closer to your family than Maine.
I have considered the Pacific NW --but I do have to be practical regarding cost of living, housing price etc. I havent completely ruled out California---the urban area where she lives is not exactly my cup of tea==although I have asked her to check out a couple of properties in the same town with no luck--she seems too busy(I was a young mother once so I do understand)so I may as well go where I truly enjoy living. I still like the towns of Placerville, Pollock Pines, and Paradise and compared to some other places at least I am familiar with the area as property searching 5,000 miles away is problematical---although I read on MSN today that foreign investors are buying properties left and right many of them sight unseen.
I do enjoy this thread and often hear places mentioned that I think I too might like--so the search goes on---actually it feel more like a quest

Old 10-05-2010, 07:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
I've not been on this thread all that much, but Wisteria (what a nice gal!) and I have had a few communications and thought I'd put my two cents in.
I went for 5 years looking for where to move while eldercaring my mother. Then she died, and I had to make a decision relatively quickly; so, I did...and I chose Phoenix.
More specifically, I went to a 55+ community that has very few activities (it's cheaper that way, by the way) because I knew I wouldn't be very thrilled going to cards or pickle ball daily...and I surely don't play golf,
Plus, I want to start some small business down the road which will take my time up I figure so the activities would be wasted on me.
Anyway, I picked here and so far am really happy with my decision. There is enough diversity in the area that you can find ethnic restaurants if you are willing to drive a little (no big deal to me) and there seems to be enough activities here to entertain me once I get this house done.
I thought of moving to Washington for the tax benefits, but didn't think I could cope well with my allergies there and the fact that I've developed arthritis in my hips from being thrown over a car when I was 21. This makes any cold or damp at all just make me ache and then I move like I'm 100. Not fun.
Here I have had some allergies cause I am sneezing alot, but I haven't had even a day that I ached in my joints like I did in Illinois where it got mighty chilly occasionally. For me, this is heaven!
I guess there is a happy place for each of us. It took me having to make a quick decision that finally made me choose, but I knew I needed a major city to keep me happy (just a preference). Bless all of you who have found your niche, too.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
I don't post here often, but I check this thread every day and enjoy hearing from women with whom I have something in common.

I relocated from Northern California to the upper midwest, where I'm from originally, last summer and am very glad I did. Things are better, but still not quite right, so there's another move in my near future. I'm putting this place on the market soon and will move to a larger city in the same state but a couple of hundred miles away because I want to live in a downtown area where I can run most of my daily errands on foot. The big interstate move exhausted me, but I'm not too tired to do some fine tuning!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 AM

62 posts, read 97,647 times
Default Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
I don't post here often, but I check this thread every day and enjoy hearing from women with whom I have something in common.

I relocated from Northern California to the upper midwest, where I'm from originally, last summer and am very glad I did. Things are better, but still not quite right, so there's another move in my near future. I'm putting this place on the market soon and will move to a larger city in the same state but a couple of hundred miles away because I want to live in a downtown area where I can run most of my daily errands on foot. The big interstate move exhausted me, but I'm not too tired to do some fine tuning!
Where in Northern California did you live? I lived in Walnut Creek and Sacramento for many years. You mentioned that things are better? in what way? my only child and grandson still live there and I am still pondering a return but other places offer me so much more for my money.
I have learned so much from what other people are going through regarding relocation--especially moving to a place where you can manage without car because although I dont like to think of it that day will probably come when many of us cannot or should not drive anymore plus the major cost of insuring and maintaing a vehicle. In the UK and Europe you can survive very well without a car but not so much in the States. I am interested in hearing how other people are researching places to live that are not car dependent. I have lived in New York city but would prefer a less urban more greener place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement