Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 10:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Glad you two are moving forward. Austin? What a change from ND - hope it works out.

Neg - Your town sounds perfect - what's happening with your current house?

I've been hearing bad stories about home prices dropping again here - not good. Then I look up 2 houses within 1-2 blocks that are for sale and am shocked by the high price on each - really modest type homes so who knows what's really going on. I'll keep following them to see what they sell for.
Sellers are pumping up the price of their homes, say 10% or more, because they know they are going to have to come down quite a bit. I priced my house that way, and sure enough, had to take 10% less than the asking price (but I sold it myself, with a realtor commission of 2%). If you get a cash buyer like I did, you're willing to take less b/c then you don't need an appraisal (required by lenders) and they often are "good to go"--they can buy without selling first. I actually got an offer close to my asking price but it was a go'vt loan that could have required me to do all sorts of repairs and might have taken up to 2 mos to close. In the end, you do what you have to do. Even though my house is under contract, it's not over till it's over so I'm not counting my chickens just yet!

Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:

They will clean my gutters for $30.00 It's about $200 normally to have it done. I have to speak to their moms to see if that's OK - I'm too chicken to do it myself and these boys are only in the 10th grade - that may not happen.
Just a word of caution--service people carry insurance and are bonded--teenagers don't have this. OK for teens to mow lawns, but when it comes to getting up on ladders you may want to think about what would happen if they have an accident.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:02 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just a word of caution--service people carry insurance and are bonded--teenagers don't have this. OK for teens to mow lawns, but when it comes to getting up on ladders you may want to think about what would happen if they have an accident.
This is exactly what I thought of when I read the flyer. When I emailed them I mentioned the worry about an accident and naturally their response was "Oh, we do it all the time" - fearless little devils. I drove by their homes and one lives in a 1 level home - very different fall then from my roof.

Good job with your house

I talked to one of the people that has their house on the market and they had 1 person come to their open house. That was probably just a snoop.

I have waited so long for this market to stabilize - can't wait another year.

Happy mom's day

Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I have waited so long for this market to stabilize - can't wait another year.
:
I have been doing a lot of reading of a lot of differing points of view on the RE market. I had wanted to wait a year or two for "things to stabilize." What I got in my reading is: there may be a lot more foreclosures coming, even though it's not in the news so much anymore. Plus, the boomers are unloading their large, or rural/suburban, houses big time now and in the next 5-10 years. And the elderly-elderly are selling for obvious reasons, next step assisted living or nursing home. So I decided to bite the bullet, take my chances, and bale. I also figured in that my strength to move is going to be a lot less each year that I don't.

In NE, the window of opp to sell is May-early July. After that things slow up. Faculty and newcomers have mostly found their housing by then. By fall everyone's looking for a bargain, and by winter here everyone kknows you can offer a rock bottom price and probably get it. It's just a rule of thumb. Of course houses sell year round.

Where did you settle on as a place to move?

Old 05-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have been doing a lot of reading of a lot of differing points of view on the RE market. I had wanted to wait a year or two for "things to stabilize." What I got in my reading is: there may be a lot more foreclosures coming, even though it's not in the news so much anymore. Plus, the boomers are unloading their large, or rural/suburban, houses big time now and in the next 5-10 years. And the elderly-elderly are selling for obvious reasons, next step assisted living or nursing home. So I decided to bite the bullet, take my chances, and bale. I also figured in that my strength to move is going to be a lot less each year that I don't.

In NE, the window of opp to sell is May-early July. After that things slow up. Faculty and newcomers have mostly found their housing by then. By fall everyone's looking for a bargain, and by winter here everyone kknows you can offer a rock bottom price and probably get it. It's just a rule of thumb. Of course houses sell year round.

Where did you settle on as a place to move?
And we aren't getting any younger. I have plans and need to do it now - no more waiting.

Colorado - I lived in Denver for 2 years and then transfered back because of a project I was offered and also because the company was starting to show instability and I needed job security. I loved it there but I felt as a relatively new kid to Denver, my chances were better in Mpls.

Ft Collins (college town), Loveland (close by - hope it's not too sleepy, I'm not ready to snooze just yet), Colorado Springs (also a college town) and maybe even back to Denver. I need some time there to really check the various places out. I've been to Co Springs but never to Ft C or Loveland.

Winter is a real bad time to sell here for the same reason and also, who wants people tromping through your house with boots, especially if it's an entire family with kids. I'll be reasonable but I will not give it away so if that means I stay another year (), I will.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:08 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
And we aren't getting any younger. I have plans and need to do it now - no more waiting.

Colorado - I lived in Denver for 2 years and then transfered back because of a project I was offered and also because the company was starting to show instability and I needed job security. I loved it there but I felt as a relatively new kid to Denver, my chances were better in Mpls.

Ft Collins (college town), Loveland (close by - hope it's not too sleepy, I'm not ready to snooze just yet), Colorado Springs (also a college town) and maybe even back to Denver. I need some time there to really check the various places out. I've been to Co Springs but never to Ft C or Loveland.

Winter is a real bad time to sell here for the same reason and also, who wants people tromping through your house with boots, especially if it's an entire family with kids. I'll be reasonable but I will not give it away so if that means I stay another year (), I will.
I would not view Colorado Springs as a college town. The largest influence in the city is military with the Air Force Academy, Air Bases, Defense Operations and Fort Carson. I think over the years, the military influence has increased. That is good and bad. I do not think, I want to live so close to a military base, especially a combat Army Fort, as Fort Carson. It attracts too much of the bad elements of society that feed off the youth and some of the soldiers with behavioral and societal problems. I know all about it from my years in the Army. So, the area around the Fort Carson is not the best place to live but there are other nice areas.

I want to point out that the christian influence in the Springs is exaggerated and is not a problem for most non-believers. As an atheist, I think the good values that christianity brings to the area is valued and noteworthy.

Denver and the Front Range has changed much over the years. Denver is much more vibrant and exciting than when I came here in the 1970s. There are now numerous neighborhoods that can provide a good quality of life. I do like the neighborhoods, in and around the University of Denver, at University and Evans. This is the largest private university in Colorado. The area has good public transporation with rail stations and it has the influence of the University that add some excitement to the area but not as radical as CU in Boulder. Housing is good and reasonable and you are close enough to the amenities of Downtown and the newer shopping venues in the south.

If you have not been to Denver for years, you would be shocked by Downtown. The buidling boom and the new housing in the Platte River Valley is amazing. To me it just surreal. Denver is definitely a good place for a vibrant energetic senior citizen.

Loveland may be a little too quiet for you--that is the reason I like it. I find Longmont, more to the south, just as appealing. I lived near there when I first came to Colorado. Housing is very reasonable and it has excellent public transit. However, I can easily see living in Fort Collins-it certainly is a great city.

Greeley is another city that I think deserves a look for newcomers. It can be considered a College town with the big influence of Univesity of Northern Colorado. Housing is much more reasonable than Fort Collins/Loveland. It is a very nice well planned community in parts. Some parts are a little poorer with many people working in the livestock industry--some people think it smells too much of cow waste. I like it as it is a town with an authentic Colorado feel and...odor.

Livecontent

Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I would not view Colorado Springs as a college town. The largest influence in the city is military with the Air Force Academy, Air Bases, Defense Operations and Fort Carson. I think over the years, the military influence has increased. That is good and bad. I do not think, I want to live so close to a military base, especially a combat Army Fort, as Fort Carson. It attracts too much of the bad elements of society that feed off the youth and some of the soldiers with behavioral and societal problems. I know all about it from my years in the Army. So, the area around the Fort Carson is not the best place to live but there are other nice areas.

I want to point out that the christian influence in the Springs is exaggerated and is not a problem for most non-believers. As an atheist, I think the good values that christianity brings to the area is valued and noteworthy.

Denver and the Front Range has changed much over the years. Denver is much more vibrant and exciting than when I came here in the 1970s. There are now numerous neighborhoods that can provide a good quality of life. I do like the neighborhoods, in and around the University of Denver, at University and Evans. This is the largest private university in Colorado. The area has good public transporation with rail stations and it has the influence of the University that add some excitement to the area but not as radical as CU in Boulder. Housing is good and reasonable and you are close enough to the amenities of Downtown and the newer shopping venues in the south.

If you have not been to Denver for years, you would be shocked by Downtown. The buidling boom and the new housing in the Platte River Valley is amazing. To me it just surreal. Denver is definitely a good place for a vibrant energetic senior citizen.

This is why I don't want to discount Denver. It's been years since I've been downtown - I was never impressed by the downtown area at that time but would like to see it now.

Loveland may be a little too quiet for you--that is the reason I like it. I find Longmont, more to the south, just as appealing. I lived near there when I first came to Colorado. Housing is very reasonable and it has excellent public transit. However, I can easily see living in Fort Collins-it certainly is a great city.

Greeley is another city that I think deserves a look for newcomers. It can be considered a College town with the big influence of Univesity of Northern Colorado. Housing is much more reasonable than Fort Collins/Loveland. It is a very nice well planned community in parts. Some parts are a little poorer with many people working in the livestock industry--some people think it smells too much of cow waste. I like it as it is a town with an authentic Colorado feel and...odor.

Ah, this would bother me - I've read about that delightful odor and am familiar having lived in MN and driven to many rural areas in my life - remember driving by some pretty "ripe" farms.

Livecontent
I'm aware of Co Springs being more known for it's military presence and, of course, the heavy Christian thing, which I can smile and ignore when needed so it wouldn't bother me. But, the U of CO is there also - right? I don't see it as the typical "college town" type place but the resource is there.

I get a certain feeling when I'm in a town/city - either totally cold and uncomfortable or ah ha - this could be it. I will hope my senses are active when I'm looking. When I was in Denver looking at homes we drove around many southern Denver burb communities and when I pulled up to the house I bought I had that instant "this is it" feeling before I walked in the front door. The interior was decorated early 1970s (horrible) with flocked wall paper and that lovely avocado green sculptured carpet throughout ~ . That was Oct and by Christmas when my family was coming out, I had every inch of flooring replaced with either hardwood or carpet and every bit of wallpaper was removed and all walls painted. Worked my arse off. Here's the one thing I really disliked about that area - workers are lazy lazy lazy! They may or may not show up and since I had the option to work from home part time I would catch them constantly sitting at the kitchen table taking another break - front door wide open (it was late Nov - Dec). Can't imagine what would have gone on if I had to go into the office everyday. I'd finally had enough - called the owner of the place I bought all the flooring from and had him meet me and his workers at my house for a "come to Jesus meeting". It worked.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
I'm aware of Co Springs being more known for it's military presence and, of course, the heavy Christian thing, which I can smile and ignore when needed so it wouldn't bother me. But, the U of CO is there also - right? I don't see it as the typical "college town" type place but the resource is there.
The U of Colorado is in Boulder. I don't know if they have branches elsewhere.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
The U of Colorado is in Boulder. I don't know if they have branches elsewhere.
Yes, in Colorado Springs

UCCS | University of Colorado Colorado Springs - UCCS Home You gotta love that homepage!

and Denver

University of Colorado Denver | Accredited Degrees, Research and Health Care | Denver, Colorado

The one in the Springs is newer and does not have the impact like in Boulder because the Springs is much bigger than Boulder and the University in the Springs is relatively small. The University in Boulder, being much older and bigger, does dominate the small city of Boulder http://www.colorado.edu/

CU Denver does have a big impact on the Downtown area of Denver but is mostly a commuter school and does not have the neighborhood influence like a big residential campus. The Health Science Center and Medical School has recently been merged into CU Denver but it has a separate campus in Aurora.

Livecontent

Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Default Moving pets overseas

Just thought I would mention, for anyone with pets who might be thinking of moving overseas, that it can take a long time to get them compliant for travel. I'm looking at France right now. My dogs would need to have internationally accepted microchips. None of them do. One has a US microchip. Rabies shots given before the dog has the special microchip do not count. My puppy got his first rabies shot last month, without the microchip, so it doesn't count. Rabies shots can cause serious problem in dogs so it's not like they can go get another one after getting the special chip. The puppy has to wait a year. Then there's something about having a USDA certified vet fill in the required health certificate, that has to be stamped by the local APHIS office usually in the state capital. I haven't found any certified vets here yet. I'm so frustrated by this right now, and the delay will be so long, that I decided to stop looking into it for a while.
Requirements vary by country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.